Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

It Just Never Stops

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 02:48 PM

Like Steve, I do some computer work and for a few family I don't charge. Others depending on how well I know them I will charge a nominal fee to if I don't know you the basic rate for computer work. I only charge what ever the part's cost me and if they want to order and get them then that is fine.

I thing at this point if the company comes back and wants to renew business I would tell them like LD the price just went up and then let him explain to his boss why it is costing more to get the tools replaced. Tough lesson.

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 02:58 PM

I believe if I were in your place, when he comes back with his hat in his hand, I would explain that I have had a substantial rate increase, just to rub his nose in it.

I'm thinking that since nobody wants the job there, it'll likely belong to somebody more reasonable if/when they come back to me. If so, I'm quite happy with my rates the way they are. If it's the same guy though, the answer is a simple, "No." I do this for spare cash, not to induce migraines.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I can think of no way your rates would not have to inncrease. Accounting for each unit means that you can no longer use parts from 2-3 units to make one working unit. Therefore it will require new parts for each unit. His demand for a detailed repair invoice for each unit is going to mean a good bit more paperwork. Not to mention time spent, determining specifically what he expects in the invoiceing and drafting satisfactory invoices. There are times you cant cut someone a break and in those cases charge for it.

True story example: An oldsmobile pulled up in front of my house boiling over. An older man his son and two granchildren got out and was debating how they could get back to Knoxville about 30 miles away. I told him I would take them home and all I would ask is that they replace the fuel I burnt. I guesed $2.00 would cover it. The old man got kind of beligerent and said he wanted no surprizes.
So I told him i would take him home for $20. I was just tryiing to help, not make money off their unfortunate situation. Sometimes you cant help people and have to charge @ their percieved value.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 09, 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#19 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 04:34 PM

The problem is this guy has no idea what anything cost I have heard this over the years I have a job in the salvage industry {Auto's}
we buy and sell, you need to make money to make it all work out {if you don't make money you don't have a job long }.So many think the auto's are just given to you
so all you do is money made and that is far from the thruth.He doesn't know how good he has it your working with low overhead not no overhead just low overhead.
All you need to do is take a small vacation so he can buy some new tools and pay a fulltime toolman to fix some things.

Good luck with what ever you do

#20 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm quite happy with my rates the way they are. I do this for spare cash, not to induce migraines.

I say they will have lost a valuable resource if they don't continue with you. It sounds like all the trust the others had in you is not present in the new guy. He seems to have no trust, probably in anything.

If you don't need the job, you won't miss the headaches this guy makes.

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 04:42 PM

your working with low overhead not no overhead just low overhead.

I somehow don't think the Rev's idea of low overhead is the same as a business's low overhead LOL

If he's more than 5'2" or so, he's going to be hitting his head on the beam a lot.

Edited by HowardsMF155, December 09, 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#22 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Just a thought. I don't think that I'd use any used parts anymore. Just because of the liability of it.

Have the company get the parts. Most businesses have a purchasing agent already and spending your time to order parts is hard to bill out.

Setup a flat rate which is the easiest way to give yourself a well deserved raise. (IE $30. to replace a switch or $20. to replace a cord) Even if the price is higher than what you would normally charge most people like to know in advance what it's going to cost.

If you go to a garage and someone says I'll do my best to keep the costs down on a brake job and the one across the street says $120 per wheel plus parts for brake work, The one with the $120 per wheel plus parts will get the job.

I started the flat rate system over 30 years ago, It makes everyone feel like they are being treated the same and when you present them a bill there are no surprises. It just makes life a little easier for everyone. Time and material has always ended up badly for me.

Just my .02 worth
  • Alc said thank you

#23 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 08:44 PM

While reading this thread I'm so glad I don't have to deal with customers , for you guys that do :worshippy1: bless you

#24 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:11 PM

When he wants you to repair the cords rather than replace them, cut it to where its 6 inches long and put a new plug on it. Then let him complain about all the new extension cords he has to buy.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#25 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Just a thought. I don't think that I'd use any used parts anymore. Just because of the liability of it.

Have the company get the parts. Most businesses have a purchasing agent already and spending your time to order parts is hard to bill out.

I do the repairs for a couple of commercial landscapers around here and I have them buy most of the repair parts I can't get from NAPA or stock myself simply because the owners seem to think I can get the part and have their equipment running the next day and when they realize what overnight shipping costs they usually are willing to wait another day. I have about $800 worth of common parts on the shelf but do rely on the NAPA store half a mile up the road to deliver items such as spark plugs, belts and some bearings and seals.

For the homeowners I know and have dealt with, if they need a pushmower or weedwhip to make their wives happy I'll loan them one.

#26 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Rev. Blair,

Sounds like the new head cheese is cutting his nose off despite his face. He is prolly getting some pressure from the beancounters upwards in the company, and sees you as a way to curb costs somehow, perhaps via accountability. Not a great idea in your circumstance, as they seem to have been getting a great service for a good value. The loss is theirs, if they choose to leave your working partnership.

diclaimer- Been a self proclaimed carpenter, contractor, jack of all trades, master of none for 20 + years. When someonw bitches about a T&M bill, off I go... But, If there is a work contract involved, whoa boy,,,, most times it works out, but very infrequently not.

Best wishes that this fellow who took over the tool repair deal gets his rectal - cranial inversion worked out. :rolling:

#27 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Like Steve, I do some computer work and for a few family I don't charge. Others depending on how well I know them I will charge a nominal fee to if I don't know you the basic rate for computer work. I only charge what ever the part's cost me and if they want to order and get them then that is fine.

I thing at this point if the company comes back and wants to renew business I would tell them like LD the price just went up and then let him explain to his boss why it is costing more to get the tools replaced. Tough lesson.

Oh man i can relate to this, been in I.T. for 14 yrs, sometimes i honestly don't mind offering to help people out with thier home computers. Its when they expect it for free drives me nuts, and its usually the people i don't really associate with too much that get me.

But hey people are getting cheaper, (myself included) , guess its a sign of the times,

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Heh. The guy I used to deal with two guys ago has the job back. I don't know exactly what happened, but he sent me an e-mail apologizing for the new guy and asked if we could go back to the previous arrangement. I said sure, and he said he'll have some grinders for me after New Year's.

My guess is that the new guy found out what things really cost.

Anyway, back in business.
  • MH81, IamSherwood and marlboro180 have said thanks

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I think you found the only way the issue was going to work out with you still doing their repairs. Glad to hear the situation resolved itself. Be sure to bring pocket change the next time you go there to pick up tools. The 'new guy' might be outside with a guitar.

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Good deal! That new guy was hilarious....just not so comical!