21 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 09:32 PM

I was some suprised a few years back. My ole man calls me and says do you want your toys from your youth or should i toss em. Seems they had 1 55 gallon garbage can full of tonka trucks and others from when i was young.. Now my son will get to enjoy these same toys..

I was able to keep my Legos and one Ertl metal tractor with front loader. I also kept a love of model trains, and while my original set, given to me by my parents the first year we lived in Zambia, is no more, I did begin to share models I'd purchased in my early 20's with the kids. I even have a couple of European cars and a locomotive I purchased in South Africa.

#17 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I was lucky enough that I have a brother 12 years younger than me so all my toys got recycled. HE hung on to them for a while after he no longer played with them. When my first son was born a lot of them got transferred to him. So a lit of them got saved from the trash or Goodwill. There are a few that I destroyed that I wish I had. You have to admit though that the 70s and early 80s were the high point for toys.

Tomorrow I will try to get a pic of a dumptruck I got for my third ( i think) Christmas and some old trucks that got passed down tome from my Uncle.

EDIT
Went ahead and got he pics tonight while I was thinking about it.
This is the Tonka Dump truck I got for Christmas one year.

Posted Image
Here is my grandfather and I playing with it. I didn't feel like taking it out of the frame to read the date on it. My oldest son had the backhoe last time I saw it.
Posted Image

The 195?? Tonka Firetruck I inherited from my UNcle. Was in pretty good shape till my ex threw a fit and slammed it on the floor and broke off the grill and one wheel.
Posted Image
And the old Structo Dump truck That also came from my Uncle. It has become a mail truck more or less. Thing is handy to sticking stuff in the back of. LOL Ex threw it down too.
Posted Image

Edited by mybigwarwagon, December 10, 2012 - 10:41 PM.

• daytime dave and MFDAC have said thanks

#18 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 10:58 PM

last night while we were laying in bed the subject of my cousin being on the box of a toy back in the 70s came up. So I grabbed the laptop and tried to find it.

Finally came across it
Posted Image
But never did find a clear picture of Lee.

But all that searching led to to a sight that tied me up for a couple of hours on a trip down memory lane.

http://plaidstallions.blogspot.com/

I was up till almost 2am looking at the different toys I either had or put on a wishlist when I was a kid.

OH man. What a ride.

Slot cars were my favorite, sure can't think of a better thing to have your picture on---and thanks for the link!

Its a shame Most kids are not exposed to the stuff or interested in these things nowadays.
Now most of their Hobbies and toys look like this :(

Posted Image

No kidding. I don't get why they don't want to work and play with the real thing!

When I got older, AFX race tracks/cars were my thing. None of these pics are my own, just some from the internet. Sure wish I had all my old toys....sadly, most all are gone.

I also had a 1/32 scale slot car set. Loved building my own cars with these larger sets.

I also had some Cox airplane stuff...simple fly by wire with .049, then a dune buggy with .049.

I got my first Aurora Thunderjet track for Christmas, 1964, and it became an obsession off and on till this day.
I lost all my stuff in a flood in 1972 except the car in the first picture. It was at my future brother-in-laws house the night of that flood.

Around '01 my brother-in-law and I built this 6 lane track for my shop. He has several large HO layouts. I sold it in 2006 to free up some space and time. BIL's club is doing real well, racing on 7 or 8 different tracks with I think 4 different track owners. My old track is not on the circuit right now. The second pic is the track I sold in '06.

Next are some original cars from the early '60's thru the early 70's that a good friend gave me many years ago, a few I had before that flood.

Last couple of pics are a bunch of the other HO's I still have. I still want to put together a 4x8 track again someday and I do have enuff track to build a nice little 4 lane.

Attached Thumbnails

• Original 60-70s slots 002.jpg
  • 2nd annual invitational.jpg
  • Original 60-70s slots 001.jpg
  • 911slots.jpg
  • Old mod slot cars 002.jpg
  • Ho's 001.jpg
  • Ho's 002.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, December 10, 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#19 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Do yah notice how, when they throw you out, they want to throw out your stuff, too? I think one time when I went out and they moved behind my back, they sold my stuff in an auction. Even my model train!!!

He hung onto them for 25 years.. LONG after me leaving... Even gave me a long time to come and get em..

#20 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hot Wheels were me and my brother's big thing when I was a kid. We got some track, cars, and a loop thing one year for Xmas. Man, that was a blast. Thinking about it now 40 plus years or so later is cool too.

Edited by JBBR, December 10, 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#21 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 10:17 AM

The 195?? Tonka Firetruck I inherited from my UNcle. Was in pretty good shape till my ex threw a fit and slammed it on the floor and broke off the grill and one wheel.

And the old Structo Dump truck That also came from my Uncle. It has become a mail truck more or less. Thing is handy to sticking stuff in the back of. LOL Ex threw it down too.

Some ex wife you had there.

I see you keep some things in a display. Pretty cool.

I spent a good couple of hours on that plaid site yesterday. Boy the 70's were stylish.............

Edited by daytime dave, December 11, 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Any of the old toys I used to have,I still have.I was never hard on any of my toys,so they are all still in really good condition.I have them all packed away in sealed boxes and containers.They should still be in the very same condition as when they were sealed up.That would have been at least 40 years ago now.