• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:39 AM

This is a post from MTF. I thought there might be some interest here.

I ordered the first production 3pt hitch from On Point Welding & Fabrication. He is giving this a try to see if there is any interest in this type of product. This is a preliminary release of the hitch. Other brands of tractors will
also be available.

This is a heavier replacement 3pt for the 990 series of tractors. He will also sell parts of the hitch separately. It is raw steel and the buyer can paint it how they want. I am putting it on my latest 990 restoration project after it is painted. I ordered the draw bar with all the holes. It normally with have one hole in the middle. It is very well made.

Dan is a skilled welder/fabricator and has grown up in his father's garden and lawn tractor business. He is starting a web presence with this. Otherwise he has done mostly local work.
http://www.facebook.....ref=ts&fref=ts

Any comments are welcome. I can post detailed pictures if requested. Looking at price range of $250.

Did a test fit of this 3pt hitch before painting it. Everything fits like the original. The pins are made from round stock and a washer welded on center. They are all the right length. The chains were harder to hook on. A little filing of the hook ends fixed that. The upper link bracket bolted on fine. Very pleased with the fit so it's ready for paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1606.JPG
  • DSCN1607.JPG
  • DSCN1609.JPG
  • DSCN1611.JPG
  • DSCN1612.JPG

Edited by VTXrider, December 09, 2012 - 01:00 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:57 AM

It needs to have at least one quick-adjustable lift link, and the top link arm needs to have the threaded rod center welded into a slot in it's top plate for a cleaner look. Otherwise looks great.
  • VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:14 PM

I would double up the welded nuts on the turn buckles and use stainless nuts and threaded rod or thread the rod stock they are using for the lift arms.There's Alot of tention on those if you have a 3pt tiller or moldboard hooked.That top link will not hold up for plowing.Threaded rod welded to one side of bar stock?If they Sandwich it,it might hold but I would rather just buy a Top link.They are cheap at TSC.

$32.99

http://www.tractorsu...k-cat-o-0267733

Edited by EricFromPa, December 09, 2012 - 01:26 PM.

• VTXrider said thank you

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 04:40 PM

If you are going to be plowing, I would change the washers to actual swivel eyes. The plow will align itself how it wants and when the lower lift arms dont have the swivels you get tremendous bending forces on them. I tried just having holes in my homemade lower lifts and I did not like the looks of what was going on. I was afriad that I would break one of the ears off the axle housing.

Draw bars are available from Agrisupply.
  • rustyoldjunk, Utah Smitty and VTXrider have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Actual hitch on epay right now under MTD 990 search. $50 asking to start.

#6 N8IWS OFFLINE  

N8IWS

• Member No: 1635
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 02:09 PM

And what price point are these coming in at?  I need at least four more sets. 

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:37 AM

And what price point are these coming in at?  I need at least four more sets. 

If you contact Dan at this email, onpointwelding@gmail.com
he will work with you on a price.

The $50 price on Ebay was a good deal. I paid that for just the 2 lift links back to the lift arms.

Edited by VTXrider, January 02, 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Think they only went to $36 and one bidder!  Almost bid on them, yet really didn't need as I have that on mine and only tractor like that.  Shipping was almost price of part too, so passed on it.

#9 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 04:25 PM

(Posted from MTF)

Got some time to mount the painted 3pt hitch parts back on the 990. It looks great and now looks complete. I would not hesitate with recommending this 990 replacement hitch. The hooks are heavier so won't bend as easily.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1630.JPG
  • DSCN1631.JPG

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:45 AM

(Posted from MTF)

Got some time to mount the painted 3pt hitch parts back on the 990. It looks great and now looks complete. I would not hesitate with recommending this 990 replacement hitch. The hooks are heavier so won't bend as easily.

Looks like a good hitch... price is right too. I notice the dip stick for the trans axle. Is that factory, or did you make it???

US

#11 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:44 AM

The later 990's used that style dipstick and the early ones used a square plug that had a dipstick fasten to it.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:48 AM

The later 990's used that style dipstick and the early ones used a square plug that had a dipstick fasten to it.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, when I serviced my hydro on my White 1650, it said to add 5 quarts of oil.  Even though I changed the filter, it took a little less than 4 1/2 quarts even after cycling the hydraulics.  Is that normal? Also, do you check the oil with the dipstick sitting on the edge of the hole, or with it screwed in?

Regards,

Utah Smitty

#13 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Dan at On Point Welding has sold these 3 point hitches and parts of them. The adjustable upper link, draw bar and lift arms are most of the parts sales.

#14 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:54 AM

I check the oil level with the stick in all the way, just as it is in operating mode . Can't help ya with the fluid amount, never really put a set amount in , I just fill and run and check , and fill again if needed

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I check the oil level with the stick in all the way, just as it is in operating mode . Can't help ya with the fluid amount, never really put a set amount in , I just fill and run and check , and fill again if needed

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing as well. I have a dip stick from an old Tecumseh engine... I'm going to see if I can adapt it to work--makes checking the transaxle a heck of a lot easier.

BTW, my manual calls for Type F or Type A ATF (I used Type F for this oil change). Newer MTDs recommend 20 wt oil--which I assume is similar to HyTrans or similar tractor hydraulic fluid.  Do you know if this will work okay versus the ATF?

Thanks,

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd 990, farm king, 3pt hitch