Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Other Tractors That Were Rebadged Economys

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Engineered Products made tractors for other companies through its 50 year existence. Firm dates are not available for any of these tractors but we can approximate.

Red E: While already a well established company in its own right, there was a period in the 50's where Red E rebadged Economy tractors as their own. I believe they were even painted red. Red E did this with other tractor companies as well like Page but the Economy built Red E is easy to spot because, well, it looks like a red Economy. An example of an EP built Red E.

Red E.jpg

Country Squire: Also built in the 50's, this was perhaps the most successful of the rebadged Economy tractors. You tend to see more of these than any other but they are still very collectable. Here is an example of a Country Squire.

Country Squire.jpg

National: Not much is known about these tractors. I believe they were offered in the 60's and perhaps late 50's.

Terramite: Yes, you all are familiar with this name. For a while in the 60's Terramite was purchasing Economy tractors to add the backhoe and high lift and anything else that was associated with the package. The early Terramites were based on the Economy tractor. Here is an example of a Terramite.

Terramite.jpg

Snapper: In the 90's the large Snapper tractor was a rebadged Power King. There is some discrepancy as to who actually built the tractor. Given the fact it looked like other Power Kings of the time, I would venture to guess it was a Power King in Snapper clothing.

There are tractors that were marketed under the Economy name but you just don't hear too much about.

The tiller steer Economy has become a hot item among PK enthusiasts. It differs from other lever steer tractors of the day (made in the early 50's near as I can tell) in that the steering lever moves side to side instead of forward or backward. Not only that, you would expect the tractor to turn opposite the way the tiller is moved but it's the exact opposite. You want to turn right, move the tiller right. An example of a tiller steer Economy.

Tiller steer.jpg

The Power Queen is something you just don't see. This model was offered for a VERY short time and VERY few of them were ever made. It was a lower model with everything built close to the ground. This was supposed to appeal to the ladies of the time as a tractor that they could get on and use with ease. It never took off. An example of a Power Queen (only one ever seen to my knowledge).

Power Queen.jpg

There was also a lawn care business in the 60's that used nothing but Economy tractors. The Lawn-o-Mat company bought Jim Dandys specially equipped and painted green. They used them for many years. Although it's no longer green, here's an example of a Lawn-o-Mat Jim Dandy.

Lawn o mat 2.jpg

Lawn o mat 1.jpg

That's the basics as far as I know. As I find more pictures, I will add to this post. If you have any useful information that should be added, please PM me and I'll add it in. If anyone ever runs across one of these tractors but you're not quite sure of what you have, remember, when in doubt, seek us out!

A BIG thank you goes out to username for his valuable input that made this post possible.

Someone just brought up a good point. These tractors all rolled off the assembly line along with Economy tractors, they were just given different name plates. The records were so lousy that I don't know if anybody knew exactly which tractor was what. For instance,say you have three consecutive serial numbers (let's say 3458, 3459 & 3460). The way it worked is, one could be an Economy badged tractor, one could be a Country Squire and one could have gone to Red E. The Jim Dandys were mixed in there as well.

Edited by David Brown, December 09, 2012 - 11:02 AM.

• mjodrey, nra1ifer, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thank you again Jeff.Good stuff. :thumbs:

Wow,a Power Queen.I've not ever heard of that one.

Edited by mjodrey, December 09, 2012 - 10:04 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thank you again Jeff.Good stuff. :thumbs:

You must be a fast reader!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:50 AM

You must be a fast reader!

I can scan things pretty fast.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 12:03 PM

Another good one Jeff! And, that is also the only Power Queen I have herd of too. I will go add this one to the list!

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Another good one Jeff! And, that is also the only Power Queen I have herd of too. I will go add this one to the list!

Thanks but I don't think your sticky is ever going to be granted.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:51 PM

Jeff, Dads Cntry Squire looks a little different. Could you tell what's different by looking of is there tag info needed?

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Jeff, Dads Cntry Squire looks a little different. Could you tell what's different by looking of is there tag info needed?

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=M4IOXnS9M7o

I think that the hood, grill and dash board are either homemade or repurposed. Everything else looks like a country squire. The serial tag should say "Country Squire" on it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks but I don't think your sticky is ever going to be granted.

Oh well, maybe it will get pinned eventually! In the meantime, I will keep adding them.

Edited by Ryan313, December 09, 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#10 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 06:02 PM

I new you had another one in you! :rolling: Great job and thanks. :thumbs:

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 06:52 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=M4IOXnS9M7o

Sorry but for some reason I cannot view that video.

#12 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Here Jeff try this.
  • MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:23 PM

That one worked, thanks. The sheet metal on that tractor is all home made which I think is what Ryan said. Even the dash but whoever did it, did a nice job on the dash. Either that tractor never had a hood and the PO decided that making one would be a good idea or they lost the original hood and couldn't find a replacement.

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:27 PM

I think that the hood, grill and dash board are either homemade or repurposed. Everything else looks like a country squire. The serial tag should say "Country Squire" on it.

Yes, Ryan is right on the nose here. See if there is an ID tag on the bell housing in front of the shifter (I believe). It will say Country Squire if that's what it is.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yep, very readable ID tag.
That's how we know what it is at all. We got this Way before GTT (just thought it was neat)

If it didn't have a hood or dash, where'd the kill switch mount? Did they come OEM without?