#1 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:55 PM

I don't like stealing the spotlight from Moosetales in his thread, and I keep referencing my tractor. I've never shared with you guys my new Case, so I figured I'd post a few pics of my tractor here. See if you guys like it or not...ha.

This is my 1976 Case 444 "Golden Demonstrator". It has a 3 point hitch, hydraulic PTO and flow control valve. Since I bought it, I acquired some 9.5-16 ag tires and wheels off a John Deere 855 for a measly $100, and installed them on the rear of the tractor. They fit, but barely. They are loaded with 12 gallons of windshield washer fluid each. For a total of about 100lbs per tire.

On the front, I made a slight upgrade to 3/4" bore 4 bolt hubs with tapered roller bearings. I would have moved up to 1" but I want to be about to easily put this tractor to 100% original if I wanted to. The other reason for switching to 4 bolt hubs, what that I had a couple of brand new 8" x 7" wheels, which are wider than stock and accommodate my new front tires better than a stock rim would.

I bought I pair of V61's to run on the front, they are 18x8.50x8, I run the larger tires on the front to balance out the rear, so it sits level again. I love these tires so far, these will be sooo much better than the basically bald stock trash, especially for blowing snow. Very satisfied, too bad they cost 2.5 times as much as my rear tires...lol.

I've also switched out my headlights from the OEM Speaker 780's with plastic lenses, to the glass speaker 777 also with a brighter bulb. These are much better, didn't cost me anything either. I had the 777's in my 1972 Case 220, and swapped them before I sold it.

As far as attachments go, I just have a J46 48" mower deck, and a 38" Snocaster, model unknown. I bought the bare deck and bare blower for $60 about a year ago. Then had to find a mount for the blower, which ended up costing close to $100 by the time I got it. Blew snow with the blower on my 220 all last winter and it worked excellent. I'm eager to see what this extra 4hp will do, and the added traction from the ags and extra weight.

The deck has just sat for the last year collecting dust. I recently found 3 more Case mower decks for sale locally. I bought all three, kept the mounts I needed and turned them around for a $5 profit, hey better then nothing right? Attachments for these tractors are so hard to find around here, it is FAR easier to locate Massey attachments!

I guess that's all I have to say. I don't plan to add anything else to the tractor. It's on my restoration list. Which seems to be getting larger.

Here are the pics. Don't tell any of the guys in the Massey section that I've been buying Case tractors...lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for now.
  • mjodrey and IamSherwood have said thanks

#2 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 12:11 AM

Fantastic machine. Seems like your are doing the right things with it , as in making it right for you. The tire selection you have made looks great, and a little weight in the rears is always good too. The 61's look like a great choice, I hope to try a pair out someday.

Thanks for sharing !

:thumbs:

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:06 AM

Fantastic machine. Seems like your are doing the right things with it , as in making it right for you. The tire selection you have made looks great, and a little weight in the rears is always good too. The 61's look like a great choice, I hope to try a pair out someday.

Thanks for sharing !

:thumbs:

:ditto: Great looking Case! :thumbs:

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 02:36 AM

Wow is that a great piece of history. Take your time as this is one is worth the investment of time and money. You are lucky to have it.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Great looking tractor. I like what you are doing with it, especially the ability to put it back to original.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Scott,that is a great looking 444.Where did you get those front hubs from ?

I still plan to come up and see it,just haven't got around to it yet.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Very mean looking tire upgrade. I'm going to find out how much of an improvement V61's are over turfs this morning. Like Maynard, I'm interested in knowing where you got the front hubs.

Was the original seat included, or is that the one that came with it only? Looks comfier than stock.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I was over in the Massey forum, and felt a disturbance in the force. So, I looked out
of the forum, and found this. :poke: :D

That is a good lookin machine, and those tires look like they should do the job. Did you find
a Canadian source for the V61s ?

Edited by IamSherwood, December 09, 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi Scott. That's a very nice tractor and extremely rare in Nova Scotia. In fact you may have the only one up here. Nice hub and tire upgrade. Is a 38" blower wide enough to cover the rear end of that tractor?

#10 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Scott,that is a great looking 444.Where did you get those front hubs from ?

I still plan to come up and see it,just haven't got around to it yet.

The hubs came from Jacks Small Engines. They are 4 on 4" bolt pattern. Not a bad unit.

https://www.jackssma...artwheelhub.cfm

I was over in the Massey forum, and felt a disturbance in the force. So, I looked out
of the forum, and found this. :poke: :D

That is a good lookin machine, and those tires look like they should do the job. Did you find
a Canadian source for the V61s ?

Nope, bought them from "m. e. Miller Tire" in Ohio, they did mention they had a dealer in Ontario though, you might want to inquire about that? I figured by the time I had them shipped and everything from Ontario I wouldn't saving much, if anything.

Hi Scott. That's a very nice tractor and extremely rare in Nova Scotia. In fact you may have the only one up here. Nice hub and tire upgrade. Is a 38" blower wide enough to cover the rear end of that tractor?

The tractor is about 41-42" wide in the rear, and now with the new hubs and V61's it's about the same width in the front. I'm looking for a 48" Snowcaster to replace this one, but I think I will make up some wings for this blower for now.
  • mjodrey and KennyP have said thanks

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Scott,

I find it a privilege to share the "spotlight" with you and your beast. I joined and post to learn and make connections and I've succeeded on both fronts. Your rig is "wicked" as we might describe it here in Maine. I am on the hunt for a set of ag tires as you have as well as some better fronts that will serve me better for 4 seasons.

Now, to the most important part.......THANK GOODNESS YOU FINALLY GOT THAT YELLOW DEERE COLOR HIDDEN FROM VIEW. I sure hope you put a special sealer so it doesn't BLEED through. I am a little disappointed though that there is NO over spray on the ags :thumbs:. Those rims looks great. {For all the guys who didn't see the rims before you repainted them.}

I've learned a bunch from your comments so keep em coming and I look forward to seeing your future mods. By the way, now that I see your lift arm on the 38" blower, I'm convinced I have the lift arm from a 38" NOT a 48" blower.

#12 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes, the yellow had to go! This was just a rough paint job on the rims though, like I said, a complete restoration is planned for the tractor, so they will be sand blasted and painted with the correct Case Power Red, they are painted with Duplicolor Chevrolet Orange/Red as it is now. Overspray? You wont see such a thing on any of my tractors. LOL

I'm not sure if the lift arm for a 48" would be any different than a 38" blower, it lifts from the same spot on both.
  • mjodrey said thank you

#13 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 04:32 PM

Was the original seat included, or is that the one that came with it only? Looks comfier than stock.

The original seat was not included. It came with a crappy high back replacement that was all dryed up and torn. I replaced it with this inexpensive seat. I have the original seat pan off my 220. I'm fairly certain they are the same. I could have that done over if I wanted to I suppose.

#14 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Where did you find the 3/4" bearing front hubs?

#15 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:06 AM

See post #10 for the link.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They did not come with the grease fitting, I added that. You can get them with sealed or unsealed tapered roller bearings. I bought the unsealed ones.