• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 05:07 PM

That's a really neat looking rig Daniel,:thumbs: Glad to hear it's only minor stuff.
When do we get to see video? LOL

:wewantvideo:

#47 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 06:27 PM

That's a really neat looking rig Daniel,:thumbs: Glad to hear it's only minor stuff.
When do we get to see video? LOL

:wewantvideo:

I'll try to get some video clips tomorrow!:thumbs:

#48 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 08:14 PM

Here's the bush hog on a Bush Hog! Had the hood up for engine pic, and fender box is swiveled to let me out, so looks odd.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4739[/ATTACH]

way too cool! I wouldnt let that mower outta your site!! lol

#49 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Here's the bush hog on a Bush Hog! Had the hood up for engine pic, and fender box is swiveled to let me out, so looks odd.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4739[/ATTACH]

That's neat ,and I like the " swiveled " fender box,just like the swivel seats in the old Monty Carlos.:D

#50 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Been working nearly all day on the JB's wiring. The seller rigged enough to run it, but had to toss all he did. The original harness was there, but he had cut some ends off. Plus the wires to all the lights & the neutral safety switch were gone, so ran new to those places. Took the voltage regulator top of & cleaned the contacts, then cleaned where the wires connect. EVERYTHING electrical works now. The starter/gen charges great, lights work, and safety switch even still works. May not be video today. Charging the camera battery now & may go out for dinner in a bit.

#51 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 05:58 PM

I'd say you're making good headway.

#52 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Many congrats Dan! I'm glad that all worked out for you. Sorry I didn't say so earlier. (Been kinda busy myself this weekend. You saw the posts of what I dragged home, My Nephew got married, and my oldest sons scout troop had an end of summer party this evening. Did I mention that I had to work today?) That's gonna really be somethin' when you get around to it!

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 10:51 AM

Last night I took the 3pt bush hog & turned on it's side to start on the gearbox repair. Took the big nut off that holds the blade bar, then got my large 2 jaw puller to pull the bar off the shaft. Held the jaws while snugging up the puller with just my hand. Was puzzled why it wouldn't snug up, thinking something weird going on. Heck, the bar was coming right off! That's as far as I got, but will get into the box soon. The blade shaft is a bit loose, so just going to take the box completely apart & replace all needed. I'm sure the gears are good, as it's not that loose, plus all turns smooth.

#54 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 11:39 AM

Just took the gearbox apart during lunch time. Good thing I did. Smooth as it "seemed" to turn, the input rear bearings was SHOT! The gears are fine, other than a little staining from water contamination. Gonna need at least 1 cone bearing & race, and 2 seals. Haven't taken the output assembly apart, but the bearings are intact.

#55 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Really need to replace all 4 bearings & races, plus the seals. Turns out they are std 1 1/4" trailer bearings & cones. I've bought all I need on ebay except the one input shaft seal for just $25!! Yep, 4 bearings, 4 cups, and one seal for just $25 SHIPPED! I've got a seal number for the one, so I'll call my local bearing house to find this elusive seal. Hope they can get it cheaper....Baum Hydraulics wants $17 plus shipping for this one little seal!

#56 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted September 04, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Local place ordered the seal for me...$19. $12+ for the seal, special order shipping $6. After I ordered I realized I could have put the housing in a lathe & turned the hole to a more std size & got a seal cheap. Oh well, it'll remain stone stock this way.

#57 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:58 AM

I had this JB out a few days ago to get at another tractor, so drove the JB around a bit, just for fun. Seems one of the front wheel bearings in this one is needing attention as in the T-63. Ground was muddy atop frozen ground, and the left front wheel was locking & sliding on the slick areas. Good thing I have more of the 1" tapered bearings!

#58 tractrman OFFLINE  

tractrman

• Member No: 1963
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:15 PM

hey there! i just bought a 1972 bush hog jb! it looks to be all there and in good shape. it has a briggs engine supposedly the original but the seller said it was a 12 horse. havent had a chance to verify but it looks like it could b an original. i restore garden tractors got david bradleys wheel horses and johndeere's and cub cadets. this is my first brush hog. i love it already. great resto tractor even has 95% paint still on it and decals are 95% intact but i am repainting and restoring this tractor and i can't find decals is there anyone that reproduces them? i thought about taking the originals on the tins up and getting them remade but some places dont like doing that because of copyright laws. where can i find another light too. i have both trim rings but only one light. i want 2 go as original as possible. any help u could give me would be most graciously appreciated.

#59 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 05:31 AM

Hey tractrman,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#60 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:38 AM

hey there! i just bought a 1972 bush hog jb! it looks to be all there and in good shape. it has a briggs engine supposedly the original but the seller said it was a 12 horse. havent had a chance to verify but it looks like it could b an original. i restore garden tractors got david bradleys wheel horses and johndeere's and cub cadets. this is my first brush hog. i love it already. great resto tractor even has 95% paint still on it and decals are 95% intact but i am repainting and restoring this tractor and i can't find decals is there anyone that reproduces them? i thought about taking the originals on the tins up and getting them remade but some places dont like doing that because of copyright laws. where can i find another light too. i have both trim rings but only one light. i want 2 go as original as possible. any help u could give me would be most graciously appreciated.

Welcome to GTT tractrman! If it is a JBII, the it should have a 12hp Briggs & 5 bolt rear rims. The JBI has a 14hp & 6 bolt rear rims. As to decals....I make & sell them. I don't have dash decals templated yet, but intend to soon. I believe the original dash was a wood grain vinyl & I have to locate some. Styles varied a bit on the JB series, but this is what I have. This is not all of the decals to the set I make. You can see the others on my tractor. The ones on the front of grille & back of seat, plus the "Hogs" on the fender boxes aren't OE. I just made them for mine. Bush Hog Corporate people gave me a verbal OK for making these decals.

The decals in the 1st pic I cut in black so they would show better in a pic. The actual decals are white.

DSC00008.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00038.jpg
  • DSC00005.jpg
  • DSC00029-2.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, February 02, 2011 - 11:48 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks