7 replies to this topic

#1 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:08 AM

I am planning to make a weight block for my Ariens S-16. This would be used with with the snow plow. It will go on the 3 point. How much weight is needed to be effective and before I go to much. The rock shaft is supposed to have 330 pounds of lift, I am not sure if that is at the end of bottom link or at rock shaft. I was thinking of aiming for about 150- 200 pounds. Will that be enough to make a difference? How much weight have you guys added to yours? :anyone:

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:21 AM

I made a form out of wood the size to fit my PK with a 5/8 rod going through it and a piece of angle iron with 5/8" holes at each end one end in the middle of the rod ,filled it with concert for a weight . It doesn't weigh as much as steel would be but still heavy enough that when I raise it up with the 3pt I chain the arms for the winter to keep excessive force from bending or wearing out the hitch . Al
  • shorty said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Heres a concrete weight I made for the front of my JDx475 to balance out the 3pt dirt scoop I was using. Same as Al did rod to act as pins and I used a couple of bushings to create sockets for the bottom pins. It was about 200lbs and worked well. You could always cast in a couple of places to insert threaded rod so you could add more weight. In the picture below you can see where I used electrical conduit to make a spot to insert 2 threaded rods for adding an additional weight. I cast that weight (120lbs) but never needed it. Weight lifting plates make good weights if you can find them cheap and can be hung from a rod or bolt and secured with a washer and nut. I prefer wheel weight on the back because when weight is on the 3pt it will transfer weight off of the front wheels which can cause steering problems when plowing snow for instance. I would think 150lbs would be a good starting point.

125_2576.JPG

Another thing you can do is to hang weight lifting plates from a 3 pt. draw bar. I don't have any photos but I have a Cat 1 draw bar and have used 1/2" threaded rod through a hole in the bar to stack up weight plates. I've had over 250lbs on the 2320 using this method. It would be difficult to get that much on a Cat 0 bar but if you had a lot of large plates you could get substantial weight on it.

• shorty said thank you

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I had figured on using a rod for the pins, just wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. Cast it in and struggle to remove the form or sleeve it. My thought with installing the rod later is sometimes concrete goes to unwanted places. I am hoping to get the form together today, not sure if I will get it cast.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Electrical conduit makes good sleeving for something that won't be rotating and wearing. Just be sure the rod is a loose fit. If you cast in the rod then a little bit of oil on the rod ends will prevent it from sticking to the form. I cast mine in with no problems. I think I lined the form with vapor barrier (plastic) to prevent it from sticking. You will end up with a smoother surface that way.
  • shorty said thank you

#6 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I actually found an old plastic box to use as a form. Well, actually it was an ice chest my wife didn't want. I thought that should give a smooth finish. It has been awhile since I did anything with concrete. Man, I lost my touch for mixing up concrete. Made for an interesting time of pouring.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I made a weight bar for the '75 last winter. It holds 200 pounds, and it makes a huge difference!

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • shorty said thank you

#8 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:24 PM

That is a neat idea of using the weights. Since I worked with concrete more than steel over the years I sort of fall back on that. I am also using some wheel weights.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, weight block, 3 point