What Do You Do?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 01:18 AM

So I know all of have a project or another or just passing time time in the garage/shed. So what do you do when your working on that something? Do you have a tv channel that watch or show that helps keep you going? Or is it a radio channel or that certain cd that you listen to? What about the sounds of your work in progress? Grinders going or the welder making some sparks or that first startup of a project thats been worked on for quite sometime?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,960 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:01 AM

Normally just working, without music. And work only will be interrupted when one of the neighbors passes by and we have a small talk :beerchug: :smiley-flag008:
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:08 AM

Usually just turn on the radio high enough to barely hear it over the sound of sanders and grinders, and cussing LOL. But you still get to hear the power tools over the radio based on front line operations lol. It is quite a fun thing to first start a project, even if you just start the one you stopped working on last winter lol.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:13 AM

I like to listen to my Police Scanner.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:37 AM

When I go out to the shop and work I just get in the zone I guess you could say. I do have the stereo on my favorite station, but I keep it turned low and most time I can't hear it over my work anyway. Unless a great song comes on then I'll turn it up. :rocker2:

It also depends on my mind set (mood) for the day. I am trying to figure the best way to describe this, I guess you could say going out to the shop to work (for me anyway) is like an addiction. Some days I need good dose of welding, other days I might need a dose of tearing an engine apart.
But I really don't need anything as a distraction while I work on things. I have always had to work alone at work and home, so I am used to the quiet when I work, well... I do have the voices in my head they are pretty noisy at times :D

But a big motivator for me is also my Dad. I love the look on his face and the comments he makes when he see's a project that I just completed. priceless is the only way to describe it.
  • marlboro180, Dieselcubmike and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Usually just turn on the radio high enough to barely hear it over the sound of sanders and grinders, and cussing.

Yeah,that's the same thing here.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 06:26 AM

I usually end up listening to my son playing 20 questions about every part I take off. What is it, why, what does it do, why, how does it do it. It is a great learning experiance for him. By the time he is big enough to drive it, he will know how to fix it.

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Radio is about it or the scanner but I listen to the scanner all day at work as well so its more of a typical thing for me......

#9 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Radio on local station, just normal volume. ~~ Lowell

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Depends on the day and the time.

Noon on a Saturday finds me listening to Quirks and Quarks (excellent science show) on CBC radio. During that time, I do quiet things so I can hear. Evenings, there's sometimes a show called Ideas that I listen to, but it depends on the subject.

Mostly I just plug my I-Pod (used to be cassette player, then CDs) into the noise generator (not a big fan of ear plugs) and let it play. Volume depends on what I'm doing, mood, and what's playing.

Of course this time of year my unheated garage causes me to sit in my house a lot more.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Like Chris I usually get so involved in what I'm doing that any noise would be a distraction. I really enjoy troubleshooting and figuring out the solution to a problem and getting it done. It takes me away from whatever else is going on and I find it's a stress reliever for me.

#12 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,486 Thanks
  • 7,627 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Depends on my mood. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes the local classic rock station. Occasionally (but more frequently lately for some reason) opera on Slacker And sometimes a station i made up on Pandora that is a lots of older country music.

Almost all the time I am having to watch for a child, wife, dog, cat or chicken to wander under foot.

#13 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:48 AM

What in interesting thread, and it sure shows how all of us are different.

When I am out in the tinkertoy shop, there is generally a small radio on near the work area so I can hear whatever show is on NPR. If it is really good, I'll do quiet stuff for that segment, sometimes even just pausing to have a listen. Prairie Home Companion is a fave on the weekends, though invariably the shop compressor will kick in and drown out Garrison on the radio though :-(

We also have a great radio station here, " 88-Nine, Radio Milwaukee" that features local musicians, and has some great content and music, so I listen that quite a bit , but more so when I am out in the "bicycle " shop. That's where the better sound system is.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03538.JPG

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,652 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Pretty much like Chris and Brian. I may turn on some music, usually internet radio very few commercials, but usually I just get into what every I'm doing and try not to screw up.

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,511 Thanks
  • 7,374 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I listen to a local oldies rock station on a radio I picked up at the transfer station. Most of the time I don't even hear it until the news or a great song comes on. Then, I pause or do just quiet hand work. I sometimes will work with a file just to avoid the sound of a grinder. The workshop is a sanctuary where we should be able to do what we like the way we like to do it.

Edited by boyscout862, December 08, 2012 - 11:18 AM.

• GTTinkerer and Dieselcubmike have said thanks