36 replies to this topic

#16 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 860 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Welcome to the forum! If you bought an older Gt, are you inclined to spend the time and $ to get it in shape to mow your property? There will be issues with the older tractors, always is. But once you have gone thru and fixed it up, it would do the job for quite a few years with regular maintenance. If mowing is it's only task, going with the newer commercial zero turn may be the answer.

I agree with Kenny If mowing is your needs the newer commercial zero turn is the way to go. Fast and well built. I like the Toro brand myself.

#17 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 178 Thanks
  • 233 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:34 AM

From my experience, a zero turn would not be the best choice, if he has steep hills like mentioned in the original post.

Edited by mowinman2, December 08, 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm going to say welcome to GTTalk and stay out of the what tractor to buy debate. There is lots of good advice here already.

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:36 AM

You don't say what all you'll be doing with it, but you do say you have a few acres. I'd suggest something that does more than mow...likely something with a loader, a 3 point hitch and a PTO on the back. That opens up a lot of options for later. I'd likely consider a subcompact with a diesel engine in your position too.

Of course I'm spending your money here, so a wish list is easy for me. What I'm really getting at is that you should establish your needs, then your wants, and take a guess at predicting the future, then go looking for something that fits the bill.

The other thing I'd say is that tractors, new or old, are going to break if they are being used. Parts wear, metal gets stressed, and we do things we maybe shouldn't with them.

#20 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:37 AM

I dont think every member is trying to conivince him that only one model is best, every member just has a preferance and we know more about that model for that reason. I like the youtube idea, he can see what everyones tractor can do without anyones opinion.

That's pretty much what I meant..........

#21 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,493 Thanks
  • 7,628 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Welcome to the nut house - umm - I mean GTT. As has been said the transmission is the first thing you want to look at for mowing hilly land. Then the tires. A good set of AGs is a must. And avoid box stores.

Also as has been said I would not get a 0 turn for mowing hilly land. A good subcompact would be a great piece of equipment. With eh available attachments for them it becomes a Swiss army knife of capabilities.

Whatever you buy ask lots of questions here before you put down any cash. It will save you time and money in the future.

#22 Procrustinator OFFLINE  

• Member No: 17282
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I, unfortunately, bought the Husky at a big box store and learned my lesson. Everything they carried there, including the John Deere's, seem to be mass-produced junk. I went with the Husky from experience with their motorcycles many years ago. They made some decent equipment then. While mowing will be the main use, there will also be some hauling and various other uses so I at least need a hitch. I believe this basically rules out a zero-turn, not to mention the steep hills. From the little searching I've done so far, it looks like some of the Cub or Kubota models might be what I'm looking for. While I am by no means a master mechanic, I am well aware that some tinkering is required to keep things running smoothly and I am more than capable of doing this. I also have access to some actual mechanics when I run in to a problem I can't take care of.

Edited by Procrustinator, December 08, 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#23 HankS OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:46 PM

From my experience, a zero turn would not be the best choice, if he has steep hills like mentioned in the original post.

We have a Toro zero turn, about 1.5 acres, hills and lots of trees to cut around. I've had no problems with hills unless you try to cut across the hill which you really shouldn't do with any tractor. If I do the rear will tend to slide on the steapest hills. It climbs hills with no problem.

Ours is not a commercial grade, wish it was, but cost and size(storage) were a problem.

#24 Goatboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10605
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Kubota B series if money is not a problem. They are compact and heavy duty. All the rental places have them so that says something. They stand up to abuse from everybody and their mother. I would buy one if I could. It's not a GT though, more of a sub-compact and the price reflects that.

Any older GT is better than the stuff you buy at the box stores in my opinion. Case/Ingersoll are very well built heavy duty tractors. The older Cub Cadets have very strog drivetrains, thats why they use them so much in pulling. So do the Massey's. If you can find something like that in decent shape with a good deck buy it. Even if you spend some cash getting it fixed up it will take you farther in the end than its big box offspring.

Edited by Goatboy, December 09, 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#25 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Maybe you should make a list of what your looking for in a tractor , now and in the future ,like p/s , hydro , 3 pt , rear pto , ect. , A large mower deck ? Attachments you might want some day like a loader , , Lot of things you can do with the right machine . Al

#26 Procrustinator OFFLINE  

• 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 12:57 PM

It's not definite, but a Kubota BX is probably at the top of my list at the moment. I don't need much in the way of attchments at the moment, but then I could add on if the need came up. There is also a dealer only about 20 minutes away from me. Are there any known problems with these that anyone can bring to my attention so that I can take them in to account?

#27 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:14 PM

welcome to the nuthouse. garden tractor nut house should i say. but i would go with a small newholland companct tractor, they can come with mid mount mowers, rear pto mowers, loaders, ects. They are pretty expensive though but will last a long time. We have a TC33D on the farm that we mow 18 acres with and its a 1999 model. has 16000 hrs and still runs strong.

#28 Procrustinator OFFLINE  

• 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well, just to let everyone know, I found a good deal on a new Kubota BX1860.  It hopefully will take care of everything I need it to.  I should be taking delivery of it within the next week if the gravel road I live on here in Southern Indiana is clear enough for them to get it to me.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I may not post often, but I will continue to lurk on here somewhat, and if I run into any issues I'll see what help you all can offer.

#29 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,338 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 09:12 AM

The BX should be a good match for what you need. Best of luck with it.

#30 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Procrustinator, glad to hear you were able to find something to fit your needs.  That new Kubota should give you a long service life.