• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Procrustinator OFFLINE  

Procrustinator
  • Member No: 17282
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:55 PM

If this has been asked before, I apologize. I did a quick search, but I admit that I didn't delve in to everything. I have some land in southern Indiana. It is a few acres, composed of some rather steep hills. Soil consistency is largely sand underneath the initial topsoil. I inherited this land when my parents passed. After making us kids mow everything with a push mower, my father bought an Ingersoll lawn/garden tractor. I don't know which model. This lasted 10+ years. In 2007, after putting hundreds of dollars in maintenance in a few months, I sold the Ingersoll and bought a Husqvarna LGT2654. The Husky did well enough for the first few years, but after a couple years it's been growing to more time towards repair each year. This year it spent more time being repaired than being used.
I'm looking to replace the Husky with something much more rugged. I can't say that price is no option, but I am wiling to put down a rather large amount to get something that will hold up to what I put it through. I do regular maintenance, so it's not that I just assume things will last forever.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • tinner said thank you

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:07 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#3 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Welcome to the forum and hope you decide to hang around a while.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

By the way, the Ingersoll tractors are still being made.
Quite pricey, so they may still be made properly.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Procrustinator, I'm sorry to hear your father has passed, though from the timeline you presented I understand it has been quite a few years.
Many people will say that the Case/Ingersol line of tractors is about as rugged as anything gets these days, and I think they are right. I realize that you were spending more money than you liked on it, but sometimes that happens.
In general, in your search for a mowing machine, you need to make sure you are buying a tractor with a heavy duty transmission due to the hilly nature of your land. I suspect that anything rated to pull a plow will stand up to the stress of going up and down hills. Also, you might want to consider a commercial zero turn mower if all you are doing is mowing. As a commercial unit, it should be built better than a light duty lawn tractor. Another tractor brand to look at would be a Gravely, but I'm almost positive you would have to buy used.
The next step up would be some sort of compact or sub-compact tractor such as the Massey 1010 series of tractor. This class of tractor is slightly larger than a garden tractor, generally weighing between 1200 and 1500 lbs compared to around 700 for most of the larger garden tractors. Tractors in this class are very similar to their larger brothers, using diesel engines, three point hitches, and having 4 wheel drive options.

Good luck and let us know how your hunt is coming.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Are you thinking new or used. If new you are looking at something in the 3-5,000 or more area.

IF I was looking for a new tractor and was only going to mow or other light duty, I'd go for one of the Cub Cadet 2000 series. Most likely the GT2100 at around $3,500.00 - $3,900.00. Since you are on hills, I'd suggest AG tires filled with Rim Guard to give you the traction you would need. Contrary to popular belief, Ags will not tear up your yard/lawn as long as you don't spin them.

The CC 2000s are only available through dealers. ANY box store tractor should be avoided like the plague. they are generally lesser quality 'throw away' tractors, and their assembly/setup usually leaves a lot to be desired. Go with a dealer that has service personnel that know what they are doing.

There are some Deere tractors in the same class, but the are going to be a lot more $$ and won't do anything that the CC won't do.

For used, that's pretty well wide open. I'm a big fan of the Tube Frame and Large Frame Bolens from the late 60's to mid 80s. However there are other brands that are very good as well. You generally will have to do some work/maintance to get them in good operating condition, but after you do that is nothing on the new market that will touch them until you get into the BIG money tractors like the Compacts and Sub-Compacts.

There are lots of good strong tractors from that era that will out last the new tractors, but you will have to be prepared to tinker with them.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Is mowing the only thing you are doing with this garden tractor?

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:19 PM

:welcometogttalk:

First let me say Welcome to GTT, hang around and you'll find lots of useful information here. We have some very knowledgeable people here. This old geezer agrees with Old Buzzard on staying away from the box store stuff. It may say John Deere or Cub Cadet but they are really wanna bees with light duty parts. I've seen several nice Massey Ferguson 1010's around lately and they're one heck of a tractor. Good luck and I hope you find something that lasts.

#8 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 01:13 AM

:welcome: Welcome to GGT first off, personally I would suggest a Power King but that what I am partial to. They are however over build for the engines they have in them, are easy to work on and live up to there name "POWER KING". Here is a link to a lot of info about them. http://gardentractor...nd-information/
Good hunting and keep us posted.

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:51 AM

Welcome to GTT. I think it's only important to buy a solid machine with a good brand name. Otherwise you will pay a cheap bargain later twice.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 05:09 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 05:13 AM

Welcome to the forum! If you bought an older Gt, are you inclined to spend the time and $ to get it in shape to mow your property? There will be issues with the older tractors, always is. But once you have gone thru and fixed it up, it would do the job for quite a few years with regular maintenance. If mowing is it's only task, going with the newer commercial zero turn may be the answer.

#12 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:16 AM

im not sure what your wanting to spend but you may want to check these out . this is going to be my next tractor when ever the 400 lays down on me . (which i hope is not for a long time )

http://www.deere.com.../1_series.page?

#13 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:55 AM

welcome to the forum and glad to hear you are realizing why you need an older GT. lol. Every member on this forum will try to conivince you that one model is the best and only that model and if you buy anything else then you will fail. Do this, go to youtube, type garden tractor in the search box and spend some time watching videos of various garden tractors and what they put them through. Find what you like and what interests you and then search craiglist for one. It sounds so simple and it is......

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I just posted a local ad for Simplicity 9020 in the Craigslist forum and after doing a search here it seems to be the dream tractor for some members. Really looks solidly built and has some great attachments.

#15 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:58 AM

welcome to the forum and glad to hear you are realizing why you need an older GT. lol. Every member on this forum will try to conivince you that one model is the best and only that model and if you buy anything else then you will fail. Do this, go to youtube, type garden tractor in the search box and spend some time watching videos of various garden tractors and what they put them through. Find what you like and what interests you and then search craiglist for one. It sounds so simple and it is......

I dont think every member is trying to conivince him that only one model is best, every member just has a preferance and we know more about that model for that reason. I like the youtube idea, he can see what everyones tractor can do without anyones opinion.