Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If you had to buy a new garden tractor today, what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 05:09 AM

thanks for the info, Vanguard is a Briggs engine right? these tractors seem pretty capable but for $12k you would think that they would put a diesel in it. Does everything being hydraulic justify the price? I don't know too much about hydraulics.

Yes. The Vanguard engine is from Briggs and Stratton but it is arguably the finest engine ever to bear their logo. Most people consider the Vanguard to be as good as or even better than the other top engines available today for commercial grade use. I admit that the Ingersoll's are priced high but they enjoy a very loyal customer base. I don't believe that there is another brand out there today that is made from as much steel as the Ingersoll's are.

One of the phrases you often see on forums is this one> "You know, they don't make 'em today like they used to back in the 60's and 70's." That might be true of most brands because they've gone to stamped sheet metal components and a lot of plastic/fiberglass/composite materials. Many tractors have become increasingly complex and difficult to work on and that translates into repairs that are expensive both on the parts side, as well as the labour side.

The Case and Ingersoll tractors are very easy to perform repairs to. Very few owners of other brands would even dream of dismantling the trans-axle in their tractor but I routinely counsel new owners on how easy it is to make repairs to the 2 speed, cast-iron trans-axles used in their Case or Ingersoll. They are quite amazed that they managed to pull it off using the most basic of hand tools. With these tractors, you can buy attachments that rely completely on the tractor's engine to power them instead of their own engine. That means you only have ONE engine to change the oil in, tune up, winterize etc.

The only belts used on these tractors are the ones that power the snow blower and the mowing deck. Some people think that shaft drive's are the sign of quality but in truth, shafts are an expensive method of transmitting power because you have two U-joints that must be serviced regularly. As for the other attachments, what could be easier than connecting two or three quick couplers? The Hydra-Bagger and Hydra-Vac units are the best grass/leaf/debris containment systems on the market today thanks to the hydraulic powered vacuum they have. You can put a long hose on them and suck leaves and other debris out of garden plants during the early spring clean-up. With the optional dump cart in tow behind the tractor, you can gather up a lot of material off a property, take it to the compost pile and then dump it out. The vac unit blows directly into the dump cart once the kit has been added to it.

Can you buy a Bush-Hog type mower for Deere or Cub? Not that I'm aware of. How about a chipper/shredder or a hydraulic 3 point finishing mower or a log splitter that splits in both directions? So yes... it is the industrial quality hydraulic system that sets these tractors apart from all the others and puts them in a class of there own.
  • brzezinski01 said thank you

#32 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 05:11 AM

I've heard good things about the 2500 series Cubs. So if I was buying new, that would be my choice.

I suggest that you do a lot more research before making that decision.

#33 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 05:25 AM

I've heard good things about the 2500 series Cubs. So if I was buying new, that would be my choice.

Well I have heard some not so good things about the newer Kohler V-twins,so they wouldn't be my first choice.

#34 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info hydriv! I take it you have some of these tractors?

#35 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 08:45 AM

I believe that I do....:D