• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:00 AM

I give my salute to the "Greatest Generation". Let's hope we never have to do what they had to do, though I'm positive if it became necessary we could do it again.
Mike

I heartily agree with the first part of that. I disagree totally with the second. With all of our machine tool manufacturing based in China and most every other heavy manufacturing coming from offshore... What's the use in thinking that we could today rearm and become a "Greatest Generation", it just couldn't happen.

We don't even have the ability or the will to snuff out an emerging nuclear threat in N. Korea or Iran because we fear the Chinese backlash and the Russian "factor" everywhere on the globe. We fight wars today with "hush money" in countries where the outcome will be undetermined as soon as we leave. We also would never have the political will to use "The Bomb" again, even for defensive purposes. It's a different U.S.A. today, look around. Any country that lets the United Nations push them around could never again become any kind of world power for good.

Sorry, I'm no Pollyanna and my rose colored glasses are broken, but I can see what's really going on in my country and the world today. I don't like it, but it seems I been told that I don't have to. It's a brand new world.
  • GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:35 AM

I agree with you HydroHarold......tell me this people , we would probably have the bombs built over seas because it would be cheaper, then use overseas equipment to drop these bombs......how effective exactly do you believe this would be??

#18 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Yesterday the American Legion post I am a member of held a WW II Veterans Appreciation Dinner to honor the WW II Vets and a meet and greet for the other area Veterans. We are a small community of about 1500 and had 12 WW II Veterans show up along with about 70 Veterans who served after WW II. Two of the 12 that came were Pearl Harbor survivors and it was great to sit an listen to their memories of that day. The meal was free for them but the recollections were priceless to us. Sad to think that some of them will not be here at this time next year.
  • JDBrian and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:52 AM

HydroHarold, I think that you make good points but let me explain the way that I see it. We have the ability with just the Air Force and the Navy to take out anything anywhere. It would be a big mess with lots of collateral damage, but, that is one of the horrors of war. Service members and civilians become victims. Our fathers' generation in WWII and grandfathers' generation in WWI paid terrible prices for the politicians ambitions. They withstood the carnage so that others could prevail.

President Truman served in the trenches of WWI. Using the Bomb was a big decision because many of our leaders thought that it was too horrible and what would the rest of the world think. Turman said "the heck with the rest of the world" and worried about the estimated one million American casualties that would have happened.

Now days, the politicians are way to worried about what the rest of the world would think, even though most of them are not our friends. I still remember when Isreal attacked a US Navy ship in the Mediterean Sea, killing about thirty sailors. LBJ did nothing!
The thing is, our leaders do not have the will to win a war, so the means are useless. I'm afraid that if it came down to it most of our politicians would sell us out in an instant. Enough of my ranting. I will defend my opinion by saying I served 29 years with the Army and Army Reserves.

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 03:24 PM

HydroHarold, I think that you make good points but let me explain the way that I see it. We have the ability with just the Air Force and the Navy to take out anything anywhere. It would be a big mess with lots of collateral damage, but, that is one of the horrors of war. Service members and civilians become victims. Our fathers' generation in WWII and grandfathers' generation in WWI paid terrible prices for the politicians ambitions. They withstood the carnage so that others could prevail.

The thing is, our leaders do not have the will to win a war, so the means are useless. I'm afraid that if it came down to it most of our politicians would sell us out in an instant. Enough of my ranting. I will defend my opinion by saying I served 29 years with the Army and Army Reserves.

It is not only the politicians who would sell us out but as seen in the last election so would many of this country's citizens who are more concerned about what they get free than what they have the ability to earn.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:20 PM

I will not forget Pearl Harbor or the efforts of the men and women that had to go fight and serve in that terrible war.
Dad was not involved in the Dec. 7th actions but by mid 1942 he was serving in the South Pacific on the USS Preston, DDS 795, until the end of the war. Mom worked as a stenographer at the Pentagon in a civil service job for most of the war and transferred to California where she met Dad in 1945.

The war had to be ended and the measure that was taken had to be done.

Later---DAC
  • boyscout862 said thank you