Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Take a moment today and remember the brave that fought, the brave that perished!!Pearl-Harbor.jpeg
  • Bolens 1000, KennyP, sacsr and 10 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yes Sir! Something to pay homage to for sure. Not many veterans left from WWII, and even less from the Pearl Harbor attack. My Dad was in WWII, but went in service well after Pearl harbor. Many salutes to those who served, and especially those who were injured or gave their lives.
  • tinner, jms180, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 04:17 PM

I second the salute. Pearl is to remembered forever as FDR said "a day of infamy".
  • KennyP, JDGuy445 and Farmlife have said thanks

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 915 Thanks
  • 1,206 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 04:32 PM

yes let us take a moment to remember.
  • JDGuy445 and Farmlife have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think Daniel said it very well. Let's not forget!
  • JDGuy445 and Farmlife have said thanks

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:38 PM

Remember to thank a Vet. My father-in-law served in WWII (Navy) and He really enjoys when people come up and thank him.

Thank you again Earl Long!
  • boyscout862, JDGuy445 and Farmlife have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Japanese do not teach what happened in WWII except that the US nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My sister learned this when visiting Japan. Japanese born since the war think that we were the bad guys. We all have to remember what happened or the revisionists will completely twist history around. Twice young people have told me that "our unwarranted embargo of Japan before the war forced Japan to attack us". They refused to believe about the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and the rape of Nanking. Four men in my family served in the war. One was killed in Italy. I am gratefull to President Truman for using the nukes because my dad had survived 5 landings and was warned that he was going to Japan next. Life expectancy was 3 landings so, his number was likely up.
  • jms180, sacsr, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yes there are not many left. My brother-in-law's father was on the USS Pennsylvania in dry dock for refitting in Pearl Harbor on that day.
Lee is still alive but his health is failing fast. Growing up seeing actual pictures he had taken, and hearing the stories he told, I never forget.
One interesting point was that the planes flew so low they actually tried to swat them down with cranes in the harbor.
  • sacsr, boyscout862, JDGuy445 and 1 other said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yes there are not many left. My brother-in-law's father was on the USS Pennsylvania in dry dock for refitting in Pearl Harbor on that day.
Lee is still alive but his health is failing fast. Growing up seeing actual pictures he had taken, and hearing the stories he told, I never forget.
One interesting point was that the planes flew so low they actually tried to swat them down with cranes in the harbor.

Someone should video him telling his stories for future generations.
  • tinner and JDGuy445 have said thanks

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:52 PM

I have had the privilege of talking to two Pearl Harbor vets. It was an honor I will never forget.
  • JDGuy445 and marlboro180 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 07:05 PM

I am gratefull to President Truman for using the nukes because my dad had survived 5 landings and was warned that he was going to Japan next.

My Dad was on the way for a Japanese mainland assault when the war ended. He ended up being part of an occupation force. They only brought provisions for a short lived assault, so they had no rations after just several days. They had to fend for themselves from the rice fields & such. But at least the fighting was over, Dad & his comrades lived to tell about it, & I got to be born....and my older 5 sisters & 3 brothers.
  • tinner, sacsr, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I too will never forget! Having met Daniels Father just recently, and having him tell stories from his life and his time in the Army, it is certain that they were the greatest generation! For a society who supposedly places so much emphasis on honor, Pearl Harbor was a cowardly attack on a sleeping giant and they reaped what they sowed! Be honorable yourself and thank a Veteran for their service.
  • olcowhand, boyscout862 and Farmlife have said thanks

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I join you in honouring your veterans. My grandfather served in the Pacific with the RCN and lost a kidney during the war. The number of veterans from WW2 dwindles each year. This week is a time for us in Halifax to commemorate another war time disaster that devastated the north end of the city on Dec. 6 1917. The Halifax Explosion, as it is known, was the largest man made explosion ever at the time and held that record for many years. Heres a link to some info on it if anyone is interested. http://en.wikipedia....lifax_Explosion
  • mjodrey, tinner, JD DANNELS and 3 others have said thanks

#14 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I give my salute to the "Greatest Generation". Let's hope we never have to do what they had to do, though I'm positive if it became necessary we could do it again.
Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, December 07, 2012 - 09:24 PM.

• boyscout862 and Farmlife have said thanks

#15 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:35 PM

Daniel and boyscout 862, you both nailed it on the hear. Had it not been for our fathers putting their lives on the line many of us would not be here today.It's hard to imagine what how war effects a man until you live it yourself. We can only guess what the world would be like today if it hadn't been for our solders and our allies. Thanks men & women, I'll never forget. What Steve said about thanking a vet is correct. I make it a special point when in a store or somewhere and see a man or woman in uniform to thank them. They always give a smile and say thanks for remembering or something to that effect. One of the most sobering things is when I go to the VA Clinic and see my fellow vets who are missing limbs or have other severe injuries from the battles they've been in. God Bless Them!
  • chris m, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks