• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 11:50 PM

You probably could. You would just have to pull that axle out of the tube so you can bolt the backing plate on. I'll have to see if I can find out what your axle tube looks like when the wheel is off. I am not sure If the holes are there to mount the plate to?

• sacsr said thank you

#47 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Did a little wrenching on the T5 today. I had purchased OTC cylinder leak down test kit on Amazon. On these 20HP vtwins there is a ACR (automatic compression release) mechanism, so you can not get a good read with a normal compression test.

I located TDC.....not as easy as you think with a twin hooked up to a hydraulic motor and really no way to grab either the front or rear shafts......I found TDC by applying 10 pounds of air and then rotating the motor unit the air stopped coming out of the carb or crankcase. Once it was found, i loaded up the cylinder in question to 90 lbs. One cylinder as 87 lbs and the other was 84+ lbs......reason I say + is that that particular cylinder, when loading it up, the crank shaft wanted to turn.....I tried with all my might (again it is a tight fit to grab hold of the shaft)...but it would rotate a hair each time...I tried this 2-3 times with the same result. Odd but the other side did not move??

So I am guessing from what I read, this motor is in the margin of being okay. One cylinder has around 3% leakage and the other has around 6% leakage.....

Spark plugs were a nice tan color.....so I am thinking it is okay.....

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#48 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Scott, Somehow I have missed this thread, I'm sorry about that. That is a great machine I know you will wonder how you ever got by without one.

I have read that the Terramite was originally built off of the Power King tractor. I didn't know if knew that or not.

• sacsr said thank you

#49 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:41 PM

Scott, Somehow I have missed this thread, I'm sorry about that. That is a great machine I know you will wonder how you ever got by without one.

I have read that the Terramite was originally built off of the Power King tractor. I didn't know if knew that or not.

Yes the first ones were on 2w Gravely's then they put them on a Power Kings

#50 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Before you even think about any internal engine work let me tell you what I have done for small and car engines many times. Get them running, put Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the gas at about 1/2 oz per gallon and run it for several gallons of gas. Then adjust the valves and do a full tune up. Run it for a few months with MMO in the gas. I normally see an increase in compression and a decrease in smoking.

In 67 I got my first car. A 63 Tempest with the slant 4 cylinder. It needed a bunch of cleanning and tunning. After I did all that I could it still smoked abit. My grandfather stopped in to visit while I was fiddling with the carb. When I told him what was wrong he went to his car and came back with a round red pint can of MMO. We poured half of it straight down the carb and the rest in the tank. A little after the car started smoking we shut it down. The next day I started it and it smoked like a Uniroyal stack for awhile then stopped. After a week of driving she didn't smoke anymore. I've used MMO since then for all my engines. I found that MMO cleans the combustion chamber and the piston including the ring groves. This lets the rings reseal and work better. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, February 03, 2013 - 11:04 AM.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks