• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• Member No: 5854
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Thanks but I can take care of the carburetor. In addition to the Springfied, I have a Wards plow-trac and a Wizard (Bolens).

I got started by purchasing the Wards at auction for $15- because it had wheel weights that fit my Farmall Cub's fronts. Real IH wheel weights go for $100- to $115- a pair. Paint them red and noone knows the difference. Wizard was given to me with a bunch of implements. Springfield was $20- from a neighbor who scraps - which I purchased because it had the Carter N carburetor and complete oil bath air cleaner and air cleaner horn. Neighbor gives me first shot on any implements, motors, etc., he pick up.

Half links are the same length as standard links. I had to remove 2 complete links and then install a 1/2 link - but it was to tight so I added one more 1/2 link.

#47 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sickle bar mower. Mine is identical to the one pictured on the first post of this thread. No shoes.

Question. Does the sickle bar mower have shoes on the outer stoneguards? Doesn't appear to be any shoes in the photo.

#48 PKS OFFLINE  

PKS

• Member No: 4962
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Eugene -- I am now the owner of the one pictured by "oldsoul". To be honest, I have not had a chance to do anything with it since purchasing this spring. I will look at the sickle mower tomorrow and let you know.

Have you used yours? The tractor seems quite fast. I would imagine there is a way of adjusting the speed a bit. I have to replace the belts. They are worn and loose. The chain is also a bit loose. I may have to take out a link. The engine runs great. Carburetor leaks and the gas shutoff is broken and leaks like a sieve when running. All this was discovered after removing from the truck and ran it to the shed.

#49 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Carburetor adjusted. Engine runs great. Soaked main drive chain in solvent. Thinking with a bit more wear taking out the rust, I may be able to take out one more link. Chain is still about 1/8th link short of removing the link.

Ran the tractor up and down the road beside the house for a while. Then regreased all zerks until grease flowed out. Ran the tractor up and down the road some more. Engine runs great. Got enough power to operate the sickle bar mower and move the tractor.

Before driving the tractor out of the garage for it's first run I had the throttle full open. Big mistake. Way to fast for my walking speed. About 1/3rd to 1/2 throttle is my walking speed.

Took the tractor out and tried the sickle bar mower on the lawn. Didn't work to well but then the grass was wet and thick fescue. Will have to wait until spring/summer to try the sickle bar mower.

#50 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 09:33 PM

sound good Eugene, i had to run my speedex at half throttle also when using the sickle bar, it's very old and may need new cutter teeth as mines did, more or less it was for tall grass, not really for small stuff, same with the david bradley tractors, pointless on small stringy stuff but in thick 12 inch stuff it mowed great, under load the tractor will slow down a little but i never understud why they never came with slow speed like the david bradleys or simplicitys had, the sickle bar shakes the heck out of everything,
im not shure but i think you may be able to find cutter teeth for it from simplicity or other makes, but it may take some looking, hopefully someone will read this and step in with a better answer.
PKS, don't you hate that, when the gas shut off valve breaks and leaks all that $$$$ onto the ground.