• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:14 PM

the one i have here i beleive to have orginal paint. All of the tractor is a darker green, almost an oliver green. The attachments are the same color, and the wheels both on the tractor unit and cultivator gauge wheeels is a pale yellow. I see no signs of any other color being used. I havent really got out the glass to see if there are any markings on it. Might have been like the Bready's and used a type of cheap decal that didnt survive time well.

#32 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:35 PM

i may be thinking of different tractor, correct me if im wrong,
did springfield tractors put briggs and stratton model N and model 6 on some of the tractors ?,

#33 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:40 PM

mine uses a 8R6 briggs

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:56 PM

ok, must be other way around, model 6 and 8,

#35 PKS OFFLINE  

PKS

• Member No: 4962
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 04:17 AM

I am sure Springfield used both Briggs and Clinton. I have a small advertisement for Springfield Garden Tractor Dealers. The models in the advertisement have no specific numbers. They only differentiate them by HP. There were three models in the write-up. 2, 2.5 and 3HP engines (all Clinton).

You guys have seen my Springfield. Lauber1 and Trowel; why not post pictures of yours? If there is anyone else who owns a Springfield, post some pictures.

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 04:49 PM

i did not buy the one i was looking at, did not have the money to spare at the time,

#37 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:41 AM

What is the belt size from the engine gear reduction to the sickle bar pulley?

If your sicklebar looks like the one in the Springfield Implement manual (posted in the manuals forum), the Springfield part number for the belt was #2422B which was a 5L350 belt. ...This translates to a 5/8" top width X 35" long belt.

#38 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• Member No: 5854
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:14 PM

If your sicklebar looks like the one in the Springfield Implement manual (posted in the manuals forum), the Springfield part number for the belt was #2422B which was a 5L350 belt. ...This translates to a 5/8" top width X 35" long belt.

Thanks. That is the belt size I found in the manuals. I am going to measure the pulleys and idler to double check.

Got the Clinton 1162 engine rebuilt and running today. Still waiting on the fuel tank to cure - used some old RedKote to line the tank and it's curing very slow. Actually started the engine day before - ran about a dozen strokes then died. Good fire, compression came in at 75 psi with rope start. Fuel seemed fine. Went to put spark plug back in - noticed the electrode was bent back to the post. Reset gap - engine ran a few storkes then died. Piston was hitting the spark plug. I didn't check the old spark plug condition - just took it to auto parts store for replacement.

#39 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:38 PM

hold it....., pull the head before you go any further, check the top of the piston for damage, those engines have aluminum pistons,

#40 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:39 PM

it can also have bent the rod, check for end-play,

#41 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Went to garage with flashlight. No electricity in garage. The spark plug sits between the valves, not over the piston, but a bit more towards the intake valve. No damage to intake valve. Looks like if I had another 1/8 turn on the spark plug the electrode would have missed the valve. Any way. Ran engine for about 10 or 15 minutes this afternoon after replacing the spark plug.

#42 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:19 PM

(breath a sigh of relef), that's good, i must of been thinking of the newer 700 series clintons,

#43 Eugene OFFLINE  

Eugene

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:09 PM

The 5L35 is the correct belt. Purchased the sickle bar and main drive belt today. Started up engine and ran tractor around the yard a bit and worked the sickle bar mower. Still need a bit of carburetor tweeking. Tires are hard as a rock - but not holding air.

The drive chain - looked really loose. I took out one link. Way to tight. Had to replace the link. Looks sloppy but guess the tractor was designed that way.

Rope starter pulley has a sharp point. Have stuck myself several times winding up the rope. Going grind off the point. Can't believe the point is still there on a 60 year old. Seems to be that a previous owner would have ground it off.

#44 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:26 PM

the sprockets might be worn down resulting in the loose chain, and yeh, grind off that point on the starter cup, not only will it cut you but cut the rope too, grind and sand smooth,
very cool that you are running it now, what do you think of a 2 wheel tractor, cool an't it !, do you need help with tuning the carburator ?

#45 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:35 PM

they make half links of chain also, id try that and see if you can get it up a little. Loose chains are real hard on the sprocket teeth. Also go out and find some spray on chain lube, as the chain is probally dry after non use. You can get the spray lube at most home centers, if not look for an ag dealer, as most combines use it for there many roller chains.
  • trowel said thank you