• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoul OFFLINE  

oldsoul

• Member No: 1107
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 04:38 AM

I need some help trying to gather information on this particular garden tractor. I am new to GTtalk and garden tractors in general. Just started my "collection" this summer and picked up a t-70 '61 Panzer that needs to be restored and this "Springfield Garden Tractor". I also have had for a number of years a '69 Sears Suburban 12.

Regarding the Springfield. I know from a bit of perusing on the web that there were many manufacturers of walk behind garden tractor at the time "Springfield GT" by Quick Mfg. was made. I am looking for any literature (Manuals, parts list, implements) as well as attachments that are out there. Were the implements by each manufacturer proprietary or could various walk behinds models share implements?

Here is what I know about my machine. I believe it was made around 1950 and the serial number is (CJ51266A though it is hard to read). Model number is C1160-7. It has a 3HP Clinton engine that runs quite well. The belts need to be replaced and the chain on the drive is too loose. I will try and post pics. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Springfield Garden Tractor - 6.jpg
  • Springfield Garden Tractor - 3.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 04:42 AM

oldsoul:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

That's a nice looking old two wheeler.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 07:06 AM

That's a nice looking Tractor :thumbs:

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 07:55 PM

Welcome oldsoul! Nice to have you with us. That's a fine looking walk behind. A friend of mine has a 4 wheeled Springfield as do several of the other members here, but that's the first of the two wheelers that I've seen. Odd though, because they built 2 wheelers a lot longer than they did 4's

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 10:28 PM

Very nice tractor! Welcome to GTtalk.

#6 oldsoul OFFLINE  

oldsoul

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Thank you gentleman. I have found very little on Quick Mfg. and Springfied in particular. I purchased a manual on ebay recently and am waiting to receive it. I am not sure it covers the model I have acquired and after much time spent researching on the computer, as "Caseguy" suggested, there is far more information on 4 wheel models.

#7 Merl OFFLINE  

Merl

• Member No: 677
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 12:30 AM

oldsoul, that's a great two wheeler you have there and, in my favorite colors of Massey-Harris red and yellow too!(close to it anyway)
I am wondering though, does your tractor have a rear hitch or draw bar for pull type impliments?

#8 oldsoul OFFLINE  

oldsoul

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hey Merl,

The tractor does have a rear hitch. I purchased it with the original cultivator attachment. I will post another picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• Springfield Garden Tractor.jpg

#9 Merl OFFLINE  

Merl

• 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 09:27 PM

Very nice, oldsoul.
I like the way that sycle bar is mounted way out in front of the wheels. I have one on my D-B two wheeler but, its almost right beneith the engine and hiden by the drive tires.
That not only makes it harder to watch for rocks and such but, it also tends to let the taller stuff fall on the tractor as it is cut, instead of laying down in a neat row.
A freind sugggested makeing a plywood divider board and maybe some "wings" to direct what ever is being cut away from either side of the tractor, like a snow plow.
Good idea I suppose but I'll have to finish putting the replacement engine on first befor makeing any more modifications.
Thanks again for the great pics.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 11:01 PM

...also tends to let the taller stuff fall on the tractor as it is cut, instead of laying down in a neat row.
A freind sugggested makeing a plywood divider board and maybe some "wings" to direct what ever is being cut away from either side of the tractor, like a snow plow.

My dad had a sickle bar that used a 3/8 rod to deflect stuff to one side, as you're already fighting with visability, maybe this would allow for the best of both worlds

Very nice OLDSOUL & I have to agree with MERL on the colors !:thumbs:

#11 Merl OFFLINE  

Merl

• 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 11:22 PM

My dad had a sickle bar that used a 3/8 rod to deflect stuff to one side, as you're already fighting with visability, maybe this would allow for the best of both worlds

Very nice OLDSOUL & I have to agree with MERL on the colors !:thumbs:

I have seen pictures of the D-B sickle bar set up that way but, I can't figure out were that rod would mount on my mower bar.Was there more than one model of sickle bar mower?
I'll have to find that picture again and try to figure it out.

My D-B doesn't have a hood but I would like to get a tractor with a hood and re-paint it with M-H red and the rims yellow and some Massey Harris decals just to turn some heads.
Tell me you look at the front grill on one of those bullet nose hoods and you don't think "Massey-Harris"...:D

#12 rriecker OFFLINE  

rriecker

• Contributor
  • Member No: 220
  • 33 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hello- I recognize the picture of your springfield from ebay. I personally have two Springfields and have a friend who has one that his grandfather bought new. His was sold under the name of "Red Horse". I have a copy of the original manual. My two Springfields are newer than his as they have round plastic knobs on the drive handles instead of bent steel. All of them have the round gas tanks with the Clinton engine. I have several attachments including cultivator, grader blade, rotary mower, and sickle mower. I saw another Springfield up at the Portland IN Show and it had a Briggs on it. Congratulations on your purchase!

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 09:24 PM

rriecker :wave: Welcome to the forum! Great to have you on board!

I have a copy of the original manual.

Maybe you could scan and upload the manual to the manuals section? :smile1: There are probably a lot of guys out there who would find it useful.

I have several attachments including cultivator, grader blade, rotary mower, and sickle mower.

We'd REALLY like to see some :camera: of all those attachments! That would be awesome to see!

#14 oldsoul OFFLINE  

oldsoul

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 04:27 PM

I sure would love to have a copy of that manual. I sent you a PM. A picture or two of your Springfields would be great to see.

Old

#15 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 03:50 PM

You know I've looked at the DB with the hood and thought M H too.... one would look cool done up that way
Peter