Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I been moving garden tractors for several days. The tree in the background keeps splitting and laying on the quonset roof and had rubbed a hole in the tin. I don't want to remove the entire tree as it shades the building in the summer really well. The quonset is not heated or air-conditioned so the shade is very much appreciated. I had to move about 30 of the little tractors so I could drop the offending branches. When I hooked on this garden tractor, the little Fergie had more than it wanted. Wrong end came up! After holding the front bumper down until the lift reached the top of its travel things worked OK. I mostly used reverse to keep the front down. If they were all as heavy as this one I'd have to hang some weights on the front. This is a super easy way to move the little tractors around!

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG

• MH81 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yep i'd say you found the practical limit. A boom pole is on my list of things i need to get for my ford.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 07, 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:52 PM

The Ferggy found a balance there, didn't it? The TO35 has a little more engine up front and it's less apt to do that, but it has.
We use the 165 with the boom pole for that reason, that and the 35's hydraulics drift down pretty quick when you shut it down.

Nice to see another one of Harry's Girls working still.

:thumbs:

#4 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the post, always great to see a Massey working. Wonder if I could justify a little MF-35 to move my garden tractors around.

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 01:22 AM

I often think of doing that same thing with my ferguson TE-20.
Does the gt spin around like a top on there?
I think maybe i should make up a small dolly / trailer.
I can't see how you hooked on the the gt. did you use a sling?

Joe

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:03 AM

I like that. Nice way to move things around.....I'm a fan of the car in the backround

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:57 AM

I would have never thought that those wheels would have come off the ground with just a gt on the boom , thanks for the pics, Al

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 08:32 AM

He needs to move the wheel weights from the rears of the GT to the fronts on the 30 ;)

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 08:43 AM

I just wrap the chain around the steering shaft twice and the steering wheel keeps the chain from sliding off. Virtually all tractors balance pretty decent at that point unless they don't have an engine. The garden tractors don't spin freely from the chain and after a while you get to know how to hook the chain so it will stay [or attain] the correct direction for when you set it down.
This doesn't work on Case brand garden tractors because they don't have a metal foundation inside the steering wheel. For such a well built machine they sure have whimpy wheel.
Guess how I know that? :wallbanging:
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:01 AM

This makes me think. I have never seen a 3 point boom pole made that way, but wonder if they shold not be adjuastable in length so you could shorten the lever? Two tubes fitting inside each other and pinned(so they slide) should not be that hard to do.

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:34 AM

That sounds do-able JDD, Have to be strong pipe because once it is overloaded it would bend and there goes the adjustment.
I don't care for how this pole is made but it was included with the tractor purchase. One of these days I'll find a different one at auction and will give it a try. This one just uses a chain for the top link and that gives it much more adjustment than a solid top link but I have to be really careful because if I hook the chain to short the boom will get over center when the 3pt is raised. Luckily the first time I did that I was standing beside the tractor and not sitting on the seat. The pole broke a small chunk out of the steering wheel when it hit but at least my noggin was out of range.