Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Engine Talk - Kohler 16 HP in my Snapper 1600

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:10 PM

I would not consider myself an expert or even a hobby mechanic of any type but I can identify almost all parts of a small engine and understand the basics. I enjoy tinkering and somehow find ways to keep things going even if I don't fix it right. But my 16 hp Kohler has a few issues and wondering if I could pick some brains out there.

1. At high rev's I hear the odd miss in the engine. It is very light and is kind of random. Maybe every second or two I hear it. What could that be?
2. My engine cuts out every once and while. Usually happens after 30-45 minutes of mowing. It doesn't always happen either. It seems to start up after letting it sit for a while. I feel that it is due to overheating but don't know how to tell if it is running too hot? Any sure signs?

My guess is that it is running lean and I know that it could cause overheating. But how do I know if it is running lean? Does running lean explain both problems above? I also suspect timing but have no idea how to check that.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 21,257 Thanks
  • 24,808 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:44 PM

The following pic shows how to diagnose some engine issues from spark plug visual. Missing could just be an old spark plug, valve clearances off, dirty carb...a host of reasons. You can go to this link below & click on whichever model you want & download a full service manual & do some reading. Has ALL the info to service your engine.
Kohler Engines: K-Series: Series Landing: Engines

Posted Image
  • farmgineer said thank you

#3 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the link! Didn't realize these manuals were so readily available. Got to reading it and I must say, I feel like I could fix anything with this kind of information in hand. I will try to post any problem I come across/fix just for the interest.

#4 Big Bill OFFLINE  

Big Bill

Banned

• Banned
  • Member No: 875
  • 1 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:29 PM

Remember keep the fins clean, never use ethanol laced gas, try a better grade of plug, replace fuel filter and lines clean and adjust carb to specs. And last, but not least, check all grounds, electrical connections, and battery cables, new set of points and condenser would be a cheap upgrade while your rootin around in there

#5 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 12:12 PM

Fresh gas - check
New plug 2 months ago - check
New filter and clean out lines 2 months ago - check
Did the best job to adjust carb I can - check

I did notice that the grass builds up quite a bit on the air intake screen. I have only had this tractor for a couple of months now and this took me by surprise! Is this common in other tractor since I have never had this kind of problem before. I was even more surprised when the operator manual suggest checking it before every use! Wow, it is a bit of a pain to clean....

I adjust the point gap from about 0.015" to the recommended 0.020" - don't know how much of a difference that will make.

Also, the new plug I put in is a H10C Champion plug whereas the engine manual calls out RH10 Campion. Would this be a cause for concern?

Starts and runs good, maybe even smoother. Will know when I get it out for the next grass cut.

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 500 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 05:21 PM

If you continue to have that miss, try changing the spark plug wire.