#1 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:26 PM

As many of you know, my winter project is a 1972 Sears ST/12. The hi/lo lever has been stuck in lo since i got the tractor this Fall. Drives very well as i mowed with it twice just to check things out before the tare down. I sprayed PB Blaster at the point where the linkage goes into the axle once a day for a week and attempted to move the lever each time hopein to work it free. No luck. I know of the other parts inside that may be causing the issue but I'm trying to avoid taking it apart. Tonight i decided to drain the fluid. It was thick which i expected and alot came out. Here is my issue. It was a dark GREEN colir with slight amounts of dark brown. No water just thick fluid. Would water in the axle make this green? What would cause it to be this color?? Any help, suggestions, input....all is welcome.
Its hard to see in the pic but rest assure this stuff is GREEN and brown

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:39 PM

It wouldn't be water, it might have been someone added a different type of oil to it before. or maybe they mixed 2 different types?
  • Farmlife said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Water mixed in with the oil will look dark. I've seen this often in vacuum pump oil. Haven't seen it in transmission oil but I assume it would be the same. It could be that condensation has caused rust and corrosion inside the case and contributed to the discolouration as well. I'd try a little heat on the stuck part but not enough to damage any seals that may be on or near the shaft. Sometimes a few thermal cycles will break something loose.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Fill the case with kerosene and see if that helps break loose the hi/lo linkage. You will need the kerosene to flush the case anyway in the event you do not have to tear the case apart.

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 08:52 AM

water will make it look milky. i would flush it with karo, and put mmo in it. let it soak. then put gear oil back in

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:04 AM

I suspect someone has just added a different color lube? The lube I bought to fill my new rototiller was red-pink in color(Majestic brand?) Whatever they carried at the farm supply store.. I think royal Triton is purple?

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 07, 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 09:13 AM

It could be he added some kind of additive to it to try and break loose the hi/lo shift lever.

#8 HankS OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:31 PM

I would use an automotive trans fluid to flush it and try to break things loose. Kerosene may do it but has very little lubricating ability. Trans fluid will lubricate and has a lot of detergent to clean out the gearbox.

Some heavy gear lubes do have a green tint to them.

Edited by HankS, December 07, 2012 - 05:32 PM.