Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Increases The Value Of A Power King?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Many people wish to know what their Power King or one they are looking to buy is worth. It's important to note that Power Kings are not like John Deeres or Cub Cadets that seem to bring the same money where ever they are located. Power Kings are very regional thanks to terrible advertising. I believe this company could have done so much better but, it is what it is as they say. So let's look at what makes your average garden variety PK worth a little more on the market. I won't discuss numbers here as I believe that is best left to the individual situation for reasons stated above.

24" wheels. This will not always be the case but history proves that people want the 24" wheel PK. Why? Could be because they look cooler or more like a big tractor? This is not always the case though. An older buyer may want 16" wheels because they are easier to get on and off. Someone with a lot of hills may also want 16" wheel because of the lower center of gravity.

Hydraulics. I mean, who wouldn't want them, right? Hydraulics seem to make the tractor much more user friendly and offer much more lifting capabilities than the old armstrong hydraulics. Personally, if I only ever mowed with mine, I would want manual lift because I can lift the mower faster than the hydraulis when I come to something I would rather not hit.

Three point hitch. This pretty much speaks for itself. Even though we live in the age of the sleeve hitch (even Brinly has stopped making three point impliments) there's something about a true three point hitch that says "yeah, I have a tractor". The old one point impliments will still work with the htree point if you have the draw bar so the three point is pretty versatile.

Dual transmission. Most people that want or have them probably don't use them. The tractors are geared in such a way that they seldom need the dual trannies for pulling. If you want to blow snow or till the garden, then dual trannies are a must. Remember, dual trannies do NOT make the tractor go faster, they only gear it down for more power and creeper speeds. The later metal body tractors may have a 4 speed tranny which eliminates the need for the second tranny.

Electric start. This applies primarily to 1972 and older Economys and the "Satndard" and "Deluxe" discussion. Of course electric start is going to bring more. As you age, it's quite nice to get on the tractor, turn the key and go get the job done.

Hydrostat. This applies to the newer fiberglass body tractors. Hydros are much more desirable than the 4 speed tranny strictly due to the clutch in the later models. The clutches are a very weak link in the system and can be extremely expensive to repair. If all you're doing is mowing, then the 4 speed is probably ok but the hydros seem to withstand the test of time.

So, there you have it. The BASIC things that will increase the value of an Economy or Power King tractor. These in no way take into account the general condition of the tractor. Regional prices will vary and should be considered on a "per deal" basis. This is just a general synopsis of what is desirable in the market today.
  • mjodrey, nra1ifer, Gtractor and 5 others have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:06 AM

More good information.Thanks Jeff.
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm sure your right about the Regional thing. I have only seen one in this area. My brother knows the guy that had it. He had tried to sell it for 3 yrs but could not get his price. I understand he inherited a farm about 20 miles from here and took it to the farm when he moved.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 11:52 AM

In the last year I have seen only one for sale in the next province to us here. It was a complete setup with pretty much every attachment you could imagine and it looked in great condition. I think he was asking 4000 and it didn't last long. Thanks for more great info. If I see another one for sale I'll know a lot more about them!

#5 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Jeff. Keep it coming. :thumbs:
  • David Brown said thank you

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Jeff. Keep it coming. :thumbs:

Thanks but you know, anyone who has been around these tractors knows this stuff for the most part. It can be helpful as a reminder or to someone new looking to get their first one. The goal here is to get the basics down in one spot for anyone who wishes to know. We hope to curb the rash of bad info that's floating around out there. We'll see. Thanks for the good responses to this. Thanks also to Ryan and username for the help in getting this info straight.

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:10 PM

I can't wait til you do the one on engines. :smilewink:

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:34 PM

I can't wait til you do the one on engines. :smilewink:

Not sure I will. That one would take a couple of days to type!