• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Has anyone disassembled the two universal joints on a QA-36 snowthrower ? I have the two halves seperated , male and female sliders ,but don't want to damage any parts . It would appear that they should come apart like any other universal joints , that is to press one cap through, etc . I have to take it all apart because the powdercoating process heats the parts to 400 degrees to cure the powder and the rubber seals on the universal bearing caps would burn, destroying the whole thing . Yes, I know, why don't I paint it and be done with it . Answer is that I have powdered coated the rest of the tractor and want the finish to last a long time . I'm doing the same with the 42 inch mower deck and .
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Mike

Model 72 inprocess of being restored w/deck and snowthrower being restored as well .
Model 104 daily driver w/creeper, mule , shares mower and snowthrower , wheelweights.
Model 124 next years restoration project
Model 2206 w/snowthrower, rototiller,48" deck , suitcase weights

Edited by mike912e, December 05, 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#2 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:45 PM

They would come apart like any other U-Joint. The c-clips are on the inside of the yokes. They are really hard to see but they are there. You will need a pointed pick to get them pried out. Hope this helps. Kelly
  • mike912e said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 04:21 AM

They would come apart like any other U-Joint. The c-clips are on the inside of the yokes. They are really hard to see but they are there. You will need a pointed pick to get them pried out. Hope this helps. Kelly

That's correct. Had the same issue once in the past. Mine were so caked with crap that I couldn't see the clips....PB Blaster took care of that.
MIKE- welcome to the forum....there's lots of help and great people here to help with anything ya may need!!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 04:46 AM

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Sounds like you got some help with the issue. We like to see what you are working on, so add some pics when you can. Help with that can be found in my signature.

#5 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks to all who replyed . I'll try to get them apart now that I know how . Your correct, in that the clips are almost impossible to see, even after bead blasting and furthur cleaning .
Fordoholic, check my profile photos for before and after ( so far ) of my first restoration project , a 1969 Cub model 72 . Lots and lots of powdercoating done and more to do yet ! That's why the complete disassembly of ALL the pieces ; powdercoating .

Edited by mike912e, December 06, 2012 - 10:22 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Finally got it all apart ! Lots of patience needed . Now to degrease everything and reassemble for the powdercoaters . I'll grease it when it comes back .
Thanks again to all who provided guidence . I'll add pictures when it's all reassembled .
p.s. the reason it has to be disassembled and cleaned first, is that when the powder is baked at 400 degrees the grease would liquify and ruin the powdercoat finish . Speaking from exerience here !