• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 11:14 PM

I've had this one for a while and used it regularly to mow until the drag link went south. I was going to make another one out of allthread and ball joints when I couldn't find one new(obsolete??) Anyway a mechanic friend of mine welded some ball joints on the original link rod and I am good to go. My problem is the restart. I have 3 tractor batteries and I believe 2 ain't worth a darn( I am a scrounger). Can I jump start the tractor off my pickup truck without a problem occuring? AND, how do you prime the vacuum assist fuel pump? I did it once in the past but there has to be an easier way.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 11:26 PM

When I jump off the van, I shut the engine off and use heavy cables. Seems to work well & we're not seeing higher than normal battery voltage.

As for the priming, close the choke and start cranking until gas gets up there. Helps if you have a clear filter near the pump so you can see the gas start to come in.
  • trackcar said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 01:43 AM

Jump starts are not a problem, and just crank until it starts (can take a minute or two).

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 04:42 AM

Jump starts are not a problem, and just crank until it starts (can take a minute or two).

yup...I'm the king of killing batteries...casey is right, Just hook up and jump start like you would anything else. My jeep has jump started more GT's than anything else.....lol

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:17 AM

You can also shoot some carburetor cleaner down the throat of the carburetor and that will help get it started. Sounds like it has been sitting for a while so you may end up having to clean the carburetor.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just be careful to avoid over heating the starter motor. You shouldn't crank it for more than 30 seconds without letting it cool off. I had to jump my battery start snow blower last weekend and used my compact diesel tractor. It turned over much faster with the large tractor battery and some heavy jumper cables.

#7 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Gents, I finally got my GT started! After taking the diaphagm plate off the Walbro, taking two of the lines going into the fuel pump and checking for vacuum from engine and fuel from the tank and blowing into the fuel tank while cranking the engine and seeing fuel come out thru the pump, finally got it to turn over and start (took about 5 minutes of cranking and I only cranked it for 30 second intervals before letting starter cool as advised), it started!! Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 06:01 PM

That's great news. Is the pump working okay, or did it just need primed?

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:53 PM

I have these little droppers and I'll spray a little gas into the carb bore and then close the choke.. Keeps the battery/starter strain to a minimum.. I've also put a compressed air blow gun and put a little pressure in the fuel tank to get things flowing as well.. ALWAYS do these outside due to the fire hazards possible from spilled gas!

#10 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 11:47 PM

That's great news. Is the pump working okay, or did it just need primed?

Good question. I was able to get the gas to the pump and it did seem to be operating so I thought there might be a problem with the line going into the carb, but that checked out. I thought that I would have to delve into the carb, but it finally started and ran. I suppose it needed primed. I do notice that there is a lot of play in the steering, slack before the front end actually turns. I'll check it out tomorrow if I have a chance.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply. The fuel pump is a "pulse pump" the line from the engine dosn't provide a vacume, but pulses with the movement of air in the crank case from the piston movement. The fuel flow is almost immediate, and shouldn't take more than 10 seconds of cranking (with full choak) for the engine to fire. Rebuild kits for these (2 versions, 3 screw, and 4 screw) are available rather cheep. The fuel pump can be carb mounted, or seperate. Make sure the pulse line and fuel lines are good and not sucking air.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070415.JPG
  • P1070416.JPG
  • P1070417.JPG

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Good question. I was able to get the gas to the pump and it did seem to be operating so I thought there might be a problem with the line going into the carb, but that checked out. I thought that I would have to delve into the carb, but it finally started and ran. I suppose it needed primed. I do notice that there is a lot of play in the steering, slack before the front end actually turns. I'll check it out tomorrow if I have a chance.

Have you got a model # for this tractor? You might read thru my thread here. I was able to get some new steering bushings and a fuel pump rebuild kit for mine. Is your fuel pump separate from the Carb?

#13 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 02:43 PM

Have you got a model # for this tractor? You might read thru my thread here. I was able to get some new steering bushings and a fuel pump rebuild kit for mine. Is your fuel pump separate from the Carb?

Yes, it is mounted on the "firewall" between engine and battery.

#14 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply. The fuel pump is a "pulse pump" the line from the engine dosn't provide a vacume, but pulses with the movement of air in the crank case from the piston movement. The fuel flow is almost immediate, and shouldn't take more than 10 seconds of cranking (with full choak) for the engine to fire. Rebuild kits for these (2 versions, 3 screw, and 4 screw) are available rather cheep. The fuel pump can be carb mounted, or seperate. Make sure the pulse line and fuel lines are good and not sucking air.

I will check my the pulse and fuel lines for leaks. I know the pulse line is old and probably needs replaced.