9 replies to this topic

#1 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:29 PM

I read somewhere recently(not sure if it was this forum or another) that a Kohler command engine can be swapped in to our power kings. Does anyone have any idea of what is required.
1. Will the PTO bolt up.
2. Will it bolt directly to the hogs head?
3. Do they come with the proper size shafts. 1 1/8" by which ever length?
4. What else is required such as wiring etc.

I think the k341 on my 2414 is getting weak. It struggles to pull hills with a 48" deck. I bought a 60" deck last week that I plan on using some next summer. I have to pull the motor soon to address some problems with the clutch and also change the hydraulic belt and I want to swap to a larger motor while it's out. I'm planning to find a magnum 18 or hopefully a 20 to fill the 14 horsepowers spot. I saw one recently and the gentleman swears it was a direct bolt in except for cutting the frame and steering linkage and extending each 2 inches and minor work on the hood.. the courage seems to be a smaller motor and also goes up to 25 HP.

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:44 PM

You have to get the correct spec engine. I don't have the spec numbers but I'm sure someone can help out there.

#3 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:54 PM

If I recall the gentleman that done the magnum swap used the spec number that was on his 1989 1620. Coincidently I have a 1989 1620 in the shed. I'll take a look at that number tomorrow but I'd love to try to find a courage to fit. 25hp would be a monster!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Aren't the larger magnums twins. It seems to me that it could be quite difficult to do the swap. The Vanguard twins are often used in the JD300 series in place of the Kohler singles. The V twin configuration is more compact.

#5 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:18 PM

They are twins and are large motors but with a little trimming of the hood it fits right in. Previous owner cut a hole in the hood to route the exhaust so I really wouldn't be doing much harm.

#6 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Would a vanguard accept the front PTO? I read great things about those engines.

#7 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hello again,
Going to go look at this http://martinsburg.c...3459246837.html maybe soon. I'm going to get the spec number off of it and see if it matches up with the spec number on my 1620. What should I be looking for?

#8 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well the spec on the 1620 is spec # 49514
And the tractor I'm going to go look at isspec # 49603. According to parts tree they both have the same crankshaft. What else do I need to look for?

#9 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Parts tree shows that the aluminum plate that the hogs head would bolt to have a different parts number by one numeral. If it if ends up being wrong it can back swapped out for 160 dollars. I'm gonna take my chances on that. The oil pan appears to be of the same type. I'm going to go look at the tractor Monday. I may just well have a custom 2420 by spring time

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,993 Thanks
  • 6,918 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:57 AM

It should be a great swap when you get it done :thumbs: Having that extra power will give you more options down the road if you want, maybe a large hyd. pump for a log splitter who knows ! Can't wait to hear your progress on this , Al

Edited by Alc, December 08, 2012 - 07:58 AM.