Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Standard Or Deluxe?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:01 AM

During the short hood run of the Economy tractors (approx. 1965 - 1972) we already know that they offered 2 basic models of tractor. Power King and Jim Dandy. This did, however, break down even further into standard and deluxe models. I hesitate posting this right now because I don't really know any hard dates but I think for simplicity's sake, we can accomplish something. These models may have been offered in the round hood era as well (and I believe they were), I just can't confirm that. If anyone knows any dates or confirmation of anything here, post it and I'll change the original post so that Ryan can add it to the file.

The standard tractors were the stripped down models of the Power King and Jim Dandy. For thos who didn't feel they needed all the frills, they would buy the standard model which had hand brakes, rope start and no lights or sheet metal over the drive train. Standard models did come with hoods, at least in the sixties.

The deluxe model offered foot brakes, electric start, lights, sheet metal over the drive train and a padded seat.

From what I understand, there were other options like hydraulics that you could get on either version but were not part of any "package".

These packages were no longer offered when the long hoods came out. Options yes, option packages no.

Here is a catalog cut showing the difference in the standard and deluxe models.

Attached File  Standard deluxe.pdf   857.41KB   638 downloads

Edited by David Brown, December 04, 2012 - 01:00 PM.

• mjodrey, jms180 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:15 AM

More go info,thanks David. :thumbs:
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Good info for those looking to buy one :thumbs: I wonder how many of the " Standard " tractors where sold in each size it seems they rare , Al

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Good info for those looking to buy one :thumbs: I wonder how many of the " Standard " tractors where sold in each size it seems they rare , Al

A great question but one that we will probably never know the answer to. The compamy did not separate anything on the line in the way of serial numbers. A Jim Dandy, Power King and Country Squire could be in line, one right after the other, but the only way we would ever know that would be to compare the serial numbers. In other words, there are no documents to my knowledge that specifically state "serial number XXXXX is a 1967 Jim Dandy deluxe package. You'll know it's a Jim Dany from it's appearance and ID tag and you'll know the year by the serial number. The paperwork may have existed at one time but was destroyed.

#5 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info, never noticed the difference before. Will have to go back and look at the paperwork I have to see what is there.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for another great write up Jeff! I will add it to the list!

#7 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Jeff. Cant wait for the next one. :thumbs:

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is the earliest record I have of deluxe models.They are from 1949 and 1950.As many people know,just because the picture shows hoods or other features,that does not mean any tractors ever left the factory with those items.

Attached Thumbnails

• Delux 2.JPG
  • Delux.JPG

#9 efedak OFFLINE  

efedak
  • Member No: 57049
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 04:54 PM

hi all

just picked up a little gem and would like a little help finding a ser. # ref. # is X15413E. also have some pics, could some one explain how to upload. thanx.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 05:33 PM

hi all

just picked up a little gem and would like a little help finding a ser. # ref. # is X15413E. also have some pics, could some one explain how to upload. thanx.

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Pics can be uploaded using the video in the link at the bottom of this post!

#11 efedak OFFLINE  

efedak
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:00 AM

heres a few pics of my new project. I have 2 hoods for it and no engine shrouds, didn't know there was a standard and deluxe although it does have a cigarette lighter. any help identifying would be welcome. thank youDSCF0044.JPG DSCF0043.JPG DSCF0045.JPG DSCF0047.JPG DSCF0042.JPG

#12 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hi,
The serial number says this is a 1968 tractor. Obviously it has a Kohler K series, either a K301-12 hp or a K321-14hp.
Without the shroud, you would need to pull the head and measure the cylinder bore as it is different between the 2.
This would be a deluxe model with the "tunnel" over the driveshaft tube and it should have foot brakes but I doen't see the pedals. Does it have them?
Looks like a project tractor with decent bones. Something that is almost 50 years old, probably had multiple owners will have some challenges to get close to original/restore. Shouldn't be that difficult to get to running and useable condition.
I would suggest starting a new thread rather than adding on to an old one.
Good luck.
Chuck
  • efedak said thank you

#13 efedak OFFLINE  

efedak
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 02:26 PM

thanx Chuck

I was thinking a 68 with the ser.# but had doubts with the hand brakes, (no pedals), thought I had a posted a pic of the hand levers.

Thanks again

Gene

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 07:17 PM

For some reason efedak your tractor seems like it was put together from different models/years .  It has hand brake it also has the hinge lock for the foot brakes . The Standard wouldn't have had the transmission tunnel either . In the manual section I loaded a brochure from 1968  I'm sure you'll find some info in it

http://gardentractor...brochures-misc/

#15 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Okay, I missed the hand brakes, this would suggest to me that it was probably made as a "Standard" and somebody added the tunnel for the foot rests. The hinge lock is part of the parking brake for the foot brake but is part of the tunnel, so that may explain why it is there.

These tractors are old enough and durable enough to explain why modifications to suite owners taste/requirements have been made.

I have a 1964 and a 1967 Standard model without tunnel and hand brakes. As far as value/desirability, I doubt there is much difference.

• Alc said thank you