7 replies to this topic

#1 hankll OFFLINE  

hankll

• Member No: 1024
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:23 AM

Onto the soapbox.......

Well, I'm fairly new to GTtalk, and I was cruising around kinda familiarizing myself with the different category forums. I won't go into details of what post and who spoiled the post for me. Needless to say, it was an OH S!@# moment, that the original poster was relating what the damage was and how funny it was. Then the next poster had to throw water on the funniness of the moment, by saying wouldn't have been funny if someone had been hurt.........

Well, at this point, I'm thinking, "get a life!"..............yes, safety police are everywhere. Just a good thing there wasn't a real Safety Cop, or there would have been an investigation and fines and maybe even jail time!

I just had to rant.....I'm a believer of being careful, but, come on folks, ..IT happens! We don't do things on purpose! I have worked at companies, that the safety director basically said if an accident happens, you the employee is at fault and will lose your safety bonus. I'm so tired of the projected and forced perfectness and criticism of every little issue in our lives, these days. I could go on........

Off the soapbox...........

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 08:47 AM

I find your post very interesting. Yes safety police are everywhere and I try to be as safe as possible at all times but like you said accidents do and will happen.

To lighten the mood I can give you a little story of a guy I used to work with. He was a genius literally, too smart for his own britches. He did software design and invented a couple of software pieces for the company that we worked for and had them patented. What the guy lacked though was common sense. One time he was cutting off a roof beam that was about 15' in the air, little did he know he was sitting on the piece he cut off. Another time we used to have temporary steps setup beside the machines we worked on, the one didn't have railings on it and he went and turned around to walk down the steps but the problem was he was 90* off and walked off the backside.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:58 AM

Onto the soapbox.......

Well, I'm fairly new to GTtalk, and I was cruising around kinda familiarizing myself with the different category forums. I won't go into details of what post and who spoiled the post for me.

Well now, say no more. I'll happily step up to the microphone and proclaim loudly that it was ME who was the spoiler you are referring to.

Needless to say, it was an OH S!@# moment, that the original poster was relating what the damage was and how funny it was. Then the next poster had to throw water on the funniness of the moment, by saying wouldn't have been funny if someone had been hurt.........

So if someone did get hurt, then what? Would it have still been funny or would the humour suddenly disappear?

Well, at this point, I'm thinking, "get a life!"..............yes, safety police are everywhere. Just a good thing there wasn't a real Safety Cop, or there would have been an investigation and fines and maybe even jail time!

And if some or all of that were appropriate under the law, then are you saying that the officials are wrong?

I just had to rant.....I'm a believer of being careful, but, come on folks, ..IT happens! We don't do things on purpose!

If only that was true. One only has to look at what passes for entertainment on TV these days to prove just how wrong your statement is. If you think that all those videos on "America's funniest" are just "accidental" then you're pretty naive. That show pays money for that garbage and whenever a fast buck is to be made, there will be an ample supply of morons who will stage whatever to try and earn it. And speaking of morons, how about the TV show and movie called "Jackass"?
I have worked at companies, that the safety director basically said if an accident happens, you the employee is at fault and will lose your safety bonus.

Companies spend a lot of money annually to keep "accidents" out of the workplace. The SD at your company was right to tell everyone that. The company pays its employees to follow procedures all the time and to THINK about what they are doing in advance of doing it. Accidents are most often the result of carelessness in one form or the other. Your company wants you to be safe and is willing to reward you if you go through the entire year without so much as a scratch.

I'm so tired of the projected and forced perfectness and criticism of every little issue in our lives, these days. I could go on........

Off the soapbox...........

Here's what guys such as yourself don't get. Workplace injuries and accidents cost this nation billions of dollars annually in lost time, investigations, prosecutions and medical expenses but to name a few. When it comes to lawn mowers, lawn tractors and garden tractors; there more than 50,000 injuries per year that are reported. I find nothing funny about those statistics. I find nothing funny about little children losing pieces of their bodies as a result of spinning mower deck blades. I find nothing funny about little children being crushed to death under the weight of a lawn or garden tractor. And I'm not suggesting that you would find any of that funny.

The days of the so-called humour you are referring to went out with the 3 Stooges, Laurel and Hardy and a few more acts that were based upon the physical pain of others. At one time, being drunk out of your mind was a defense strategy when one motorist killed one or more persons who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not any more. Nowadays, these people go to jail and repeat offenders get their licences suspended for life.

The other irony in your rant is this. For decades, trade unions fought hard battles with employers to improve workplace safety and here you are, ridiculing the unions efforts. Sorry, but to me safety is no laughing matter. And when I see something being depicted which I know is unsafe, then I speak out to that end. I don't want people reading such threads and walking away with the belief that what was described or shown has no potential downside to it.

Do I think that anything that I've said in my rant will change your mind? Hell no. I run across people with similar mindsets all the time. Thankfully, I'm a firm believer in Darwin's theory of evolution and that those who want to flirt with danger will eventually push their luck too far. Hopefully, that will happen prior to them being able to reproduce.

I'm stepping off my soap box now.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:43 PM

You kids better knock it off before i send you both to your rooms! LOL I think there's some middle ground here somewhere. Having gotten my safety equipment wrapped up in the hoist drive-shaft of an overhead crane (c'mon you've gotta see the irony there!) and walking (sorta) away with a minor fracture of my right fibula, I know first hand that safety is no joke. That being said...I think, IMO, that the fact that no one was injured allows it to be funny while at the same time teaching the rest of us a safety lesson vicariously. Most of us realize the potential dangers inherent in the everyday tools and other sundry objects that we come in contact with. (I did say most) I think if you compare those statistics with the same from say 10 years ago, and 20 years ago, I feel confident in saying that they would be a lot lower now than they were then. But funny is funny, and if we laugh at it, it may just be memorable enough that it stays with us for future reference.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:46 PM

You kids better knock it off before i send you both to your rooms! LOL I think there's some middle ground here somewhere. Having gotten my safety equipment wrapped up in the hoist drive-shaft of an overhead crane (c'mon you've gotta see the irony there!) and walking (sorta) away with a minor fracture of my right fibula, I know first hand that safety is no joke. That being said...I think, IMO, that the fact that no one was injured allows it to be funny while at the same time teaching the rest of us a safety lesson vicariously. Most of us realize the potential dangers inherent in the everyday tools and other sundry objects that we come in contact with. (I did say most) I think if you compare those statistics with the same from say 10 years ago, and 20 years ago, I feel confident in saying that they would be a lot lower now than they were then. But funny is funny, and if we laugh at it, it may just be memorable enough that it stays with us for future reference.

Well said! :thumbs:

#6 hankll OFFLINE  

hankll

• Member No: 1024
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ok, so you think we have to be serious and can't have funny moments. Cool, and then lets make sure it is clear, that I wasn't the one who brought the personal attack on my rant. I kept it unpersonalized, for a reason. I was expressing my opinion of the dimwittedness of the PC thoughts, of the most perfect, on high attitude, that was professed in the first place, and then it was compounded, by your further pompous attitude in the Looky, Looky, it was me 2nd answer. Not on my soapbox, just right from the hip! Cya!

#7 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 08:40 AM

I completely agree. If someone does get hurt it isnt funny. I wouldnt think it hilarious that anyone got sucked into a snowblower or my child got toes cut off because I was mowing too close to where he was playing. not at all, not funny. that being said...

I got out of my grandmothers van one day and opened the back door, she thought the car was in park and took her foot off the brake and rolled the van up ONTO my foot and THEN put it in park, it hurt like hell, so as I'm standing there telling my grandma that my foot is under her tire she looks at me and says "well does it hurt? are you ok?" then it occured to her that she was parked on my foot and moved the van. it didnt crush any of my bones and I still have a fully functioning foot but, it actually was funny. the lesson learned...wait till the van is shut off and gram is out of the car. now, if she would have ran me or a child over then it really wouldnt be all that funny but no one was hurt so, I guess what I'm saying is that yeah the serious things arent funny but you gotta have a sense of humor when it comes to the brain fart moments.

#8 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 01:13 PM

Gee,
If this is really going to become a "topic" , then you guys should at least read what the OP was whining about.

http://www.gttalk.co...1383/#post12187

And just for the record, I wasn't the "next poster" in that thread. Dan had already mentioned the importance of safety switches before I said anything. I stand by what I wrote then and what I wrote above. I'm not going to get into some sort of pissing match with some guy who feels that humour trumps safety.