sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have found this and going to look at it tomorrow. Any comments good or bad. Price is less than $5000

Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated......not the right time to buy, but I think this thing is pretty cheap.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3I13F63Jb5I45Ec5Fbcc2ffb3b05715ca1075.jpg
  • 3J83pe3He5N85Le5K8cc2937444f4a9f31809.jpg

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Just go through all the usual checklist and if you find it mechanically good the price is right
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have a 73 Ford 2000 with the FEL and a three point hitch. Its a great machine. I've had it for over 25 years. There were 3ph backhoes for them, so you may have a 3ph under there. The backhoes are light duty on those so look for cracks. I saw one about ten years ago where the machine was used hard and cracked the bell housing. I did an engine ring job in the tractor. Any work on the crankshaft, clutch, or transmission will require splitting the tractor. Its a big pain. Parts are generally available but the prices have skyrocketted. Mice love to chew the wires behind the dash. The voltage regulators are Lucas brand and die about every 5 years. I keep spare hoses, a regulator, a starter, and a generator to keep her going. I stock up when there are sales. I'm currently having power steering problems. With a loader be sure it has working power steering. The steering components are expensive. Check the battery tray, they tend to rot through. If its diesel, there is a screen in the tank that plugs if you don't use winter diesel. I have to put a heater on my tank sometimes. Good Luck
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:00 AM

I agree, check all the normal stuff, make sure everything looks good, obviously hear it run and make sure you drive it. I went to look at a tractor one time and the guy was excited bout me hearing it run and showin me everything on it but seemed as if he wouldnt let me touch it til I would put the money in his hand.....lol, he musta thought it was my first rodeo.......
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:58 AM

I wish you lived closer ,my non running 3400 could use a new home lol . Al
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:26 AM

In addition to all the stuff mentioned above, give e hoses a good look over. You can get into some pretty serious $, replacing all the hydraulic hoses on a machine.
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:33 AM

All good advice! One thing I forgot to mention is to check the pins and joints in the loader and Hoe. If they are Loosey Goosey it can be quite a project to ream bush and replace pins. Worth it when it's done though! Tight joints make them work oh so much better! You can tell if you swing the boom and it clatters like a steam engine they are loose. The Boom arms are BIG levers.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 04, 2012 - 09:55 AM.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:44 PM

if everything checks out good them 5 grand is a great deal

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well I looked at it today--more tired looking than I had planned.....had alot of bushings and pins that should be replaced....most of the hoses were original...only a handful that were not so that is something that will need to be done at somepoint. FEL was a little tweaked from impact at somepoint....hood was dented on the front....it had welds on both the fel and the loader...bucket needed to be welded and needed 2 new teeth put on.....keep in mind I was not buying this to work every day.....probably 4-5 hours two weekends a month.....I was not looking for a pretty one since it will be left in the woods for most of the time uncovered.....I asked him to look at two places it was leaking pretty good and see if his guy could repair them......then let me know.......I can buy this deliverd to my site for less than $4000- I am thinking it is a 70's model tractor.....I will post a few more pictures.....maybe sold by now......but hoping he gets back to me on the repairs.....motor ran good and seemed to be in good shape.....little smoke first starting but looked to stop once it had sat for 10-20 minutes......I left for about a half hour......we went back and turned the key and it started right up.

Tell me I am crazy for not loading it up......but old is old....and just do not want to get into a money pit....

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:21 PM

It's not always wrong to walk away. I looked at a 641 Ford and the price was right except that the front end was a little loose.
What put me off is it was in the same town I live in and the Jerk told me he would only accept cash, no check or money order.
Made me wonder if there was something I was missing so I passed.
. Then I think I've told this before, I looked at a Yanmar 155D that had a loose frontend and I passed.
The Next day I found my Ford 1500 and could not be happier. Be paitent and the right deal will come!
There are plenty of tractors out there one does not have to buy the first that comes along. My experience is usually once you have spent your money, the real deal comes up the next week. Done that way too many times.
  • sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:45 PM

That looks like an old wain-roy hoe on the rear.... that's a deduction as parts are non existent. They work OK but are fragile by today's standards. So beat em up on the price!! Especially if there is no 3 point hitch included.
Good luck!
  • sacsr said thank you

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Here are the pictures taken today. He is willing to repair the two seals that were leaking- 1 on the front pump driven by the front PTO and there was one cylinder on the hand controls for the fel that was leaking.
Seals on fel and backhoe were decent with little weeping on a few.

Attached Thumbnails

• fordrear.jpg
  • fordrearpinsbackhoe.jpg
  • fordfrontpumpleak.jpg
  • fordrearbackhoe.jpg

Edited by sacsr, December 04, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Picture 2 shows two makeshift pins, one at the top of the pivot and on at the bottom. That is a red flag to me. I'd be real suspicious of this set up. Drive it and check all trany gears and the differential lock. Look at this thing real carefully you can end up spending a grand on pins and bushings. The bushings on mine are welded so they will eventually have to be bored 1/8" oversized and new oversized pins used. If they wear more then they'll be bored out and bushings pressed in (like my heavier equipment has).The hoses, seals, fluids and filter could run another grand. Take a close look at the transmission, bellhousing, and rear end castings. They are suseptable to cracking.
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Pretty much have decided to pass on it. Got plenty of projects already and thanks to all the good advice from here, think I will continue to look for one,

#15 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 04:53 AM

Smart thinking ! After seeing those how pics I would have deducted $4 grand ! That thing is a cluncker!! Hoses and pins were smoked , I bet of was as sloppy as a limp arm too. I would have not walked, but run as fast as I could!!
  • sacsr said thank you