• Please log in to reply
4318 replies to this topic

#1456 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Willie- Just read thru most of your thread. Good stuff man. This thread has a little of everything. Scrapping, funny stories, turning wrenches, sad stories, meeting weird (and normal) people, drama, jokes, fabrication, etc. Real life.

I think a lot of folks can relate to your stories. The last couple years i have bought and sold some mowers and stuff and have some pretty funny stories myself.

Like the one older fella that had an old Cub that was really not worth fixing but he was a cool guy. He lived in an old Civil War era home that had 2 stagecoaches on the porch and a real civil war cannon in the front yard.

Also, there was a guy names Ernie i bought some mower parts from. He was having a spite with his neighbors and had a bunch of pink penguins in his yard just to mess with the neighbors. And he talked real fast. I called him Nervous Ernie.

Anyway, your stories are great man. Wish you the best of luck with your family and your adventures.

• Alc, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1457 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:04 AM

Typed uo todays entry and somehow didn't get it posted. I was so tired i was in bed at 9 just woke up hungry - didn't get my midnight snack.
  • Craig. and Jack have said thanks

#1458 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well I typed this last night and posted it somewhere. If it shows up in a different thread or a different site all together I wouldn't be surprised.

Too early and too still tired yesterday I fell out of bed and slithered into the kitchen

you_just_need_coffee_by_sebreg-d5j8b7u.jpg

After my first cup I woke Steph up to help me get the load strapped down so I could go to the scrap yard.

Steph was staying home because my son who adopted me, Graham, is having problems with his fiance's (who lives with him) 18 year old daughter. They have put her out of the house. I would have done it a long time ago. Steph was keeping an eye on the house.

Before I left I checked to see if we had an alternator for Christine. I had them for VW, Cadillac, Opel, Ford, Dodge, and every Chevy imaginable – except for a 2.8LV6. It seems that the 2.8 has a backwards alt.

I went ahead and pulled the alt off and tossed it in the back of the BlueOx so I could get one while I was out.

After I unloaded the trailer and filled my pockets at the scrap yard I headed down to Willis Auto Electric in Shelby to see if he had an alt already built. He did. For $65 I was out the door with on et hat will last forever. I bought one 12 years ago for the WarWagon. It is on its third truck now.

Then I headed south to Chester SC. I made one stop across the state line to leave a Benjamin Franklin at a gas station. It still didn't fill the 40 gallon tank up.

Then I got down to the building I was getting a machine from.

The guy I had been dealing with on the phone, Rob, had worked at the company as a sales person a couple of years ago. He realized that the printing business was going to go under so he left and started his own business and kept an eye on this one for when it failed. He then bought all the equipment from the bank for dirt cheap. There was one huge machine that was obsolete so it was supposed to go for scrap.

When I got there I was greeted by an woman who I will refer to as Miss Uppity or MU. She didn't want me going inside the building to find Rob. I went in anyway.

When I found he he told me there was a problem. My machine would not fit thru one door inside and Miss Uppity – the land lady- would not let them widen one door to get it out. When I got back there I saw that the door in question and a partial wall had been scabbed into one of the metal walls of the building. It was poorly constructed and looked like one good fart would knock it down.

There was another crew there moving out a machine that, despite having all the right equipment, didn't know how to move it and it took them 4 hours to get it about 200 yards. It was their $35,000 machine so I offered a couple of pieces of advice – one they ignored one they accepted and then thought I was a genius- and I mostly stayed out of their way.

Rob tole me to take as much stuff off the machine I was supposed to get as I wanted so that Miss Uppity couldn't sell it to anyone else. So I did. I had 4 hours to fill somehow.

Rob kept telling me that he was going to pay me for my time since I couldn't get the machine out. He had also told me that he had a 10,000 pound winch for sale. I just tucked that information away for later.

Finally I got loaded and Rob was asking what he owed me. I probably got about 1000 pounds of steel as opposed to 10,000 that I was supposed to get. I told him to sell me the winch cheap and I would call it even. He agreed so I am going to pick it up soon.

I headed home at around 445. I was exhausted it was more work taking the machine apart that it would have been to move it.

Steph called and said we needed hamburger buns so I found a shopping center and pulled in. I grabbed a pack and hit the self checkout, skipped the bagging, grabbed my receipt, and headed out.

Next door was an ABC store and I decided that some magic elixir would be a good thing so I went in. I held up my first purchase to the gal behind the counter and asked loudly enough for the everyone in the store to hear, “Do you want to hold my buns while I shop?”. The poor girl nearly choked on her tongue. Everyone else was dying laughing.

I stopped to get a cup of coffee and in my tired state I just poured it in a cup paid and left. After I got pulled out into traffic I took a sip. It was ice cold. It got poured out the window. With the trailer I wasn't about to try to turn around on a narrow back road and go back.

I stopped about 5 miles later and got a hot cup of coffee.

At about 700 I finally got home. Exhausted and barely moving. After a shower and supper I was done. At 9pm I was in bed. I woke up at about 130am to get something to eat and was back asleep at around 3. I slept till 9. I almost feel human again.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1459 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Today we packed 8 hours of work into 5.

After waking up at 9 I tumbled into the kitchen for

morning-coffee-creature.jpg

Then I took some time to baby my back and do all my exercises. Heath has decided that my exercises are a good time to crawl on my head. Gives me an extra degree of difficulty.

Then I headed outside to get some work done at around 1230 or so. Steph came out and helped put the alternator on Christine then went back outside. I went to work on the machines.

The machines I picked up yesterday were basically big steel end caps with 6 foot long stainless steel rollers between them. Assembled they took up the whole trailer. Disassembled I could have gotten 60 more of them on the trailer.

About 130 Steph put Heath down for a nap and came out to help.

The John Deere was in my way so it had to be relocated. Since Will posted video of the Elf off leash the DragonFly wanted to give it a try. Steph rode along to keep it in check.

http://youtu.be/mpHn2JH-Iug

After dis-assembly I had a nice pile of stainless, aluminum, and electronics. I got 2 12 Volt speed controller and all kinds of switches and buttons, casters, stainless nuts and bolts, and wiring.

Then we got back to loading up derelict tractors. I swear that they were breeding behind the building. I honestly don't remember there being that many back there.

About 430 Steph went in to check on Heath. He was awake. He came out to ride on the DragonFly with me. We backed up the frame of a Dynamark and hooked it up to the mobile crane and the DragonFly gasped and died. She was out of fuel. I thought that was it for the day as far as scrap was concerned, but them I remembered that Christine was still loaded.

We backed it over to the big trailer and unloaded all the scrap that Steve gave me then loaded up the electronics and other stuff I was keeping off the machines in Christine so Steph could back it over to the shop and unload.

While she did that I found a gas can that actually had gas in it. I gave the DragonFly a drink and she fired right up. Heath heard her start and came running. We dragged the frame over to the trailer and got it loaded up.

When Steph was finished unloading we all came in and got degrease a bit then Steph went to the store with Heath. He has been dying to ride in a truck all day. Everything one has been started he got all excited and came running. He was ecstatic to get in his car seat and go to Wal-Mart.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1460 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Not one day this week has gone according to plan, but none have been bad.

This morning my plan was to the the last couple of things tossed on the trailer and head off to the scrap yard. Welllll

My eyes opened way before the alarm went off this morning so I got up and....

astronaut_with_coffee.gif

After Heath and Steph got up we all headed outside to get things loaded.

First order of business was harvesting change out of the dryers we got earlier this week.

2013-12-20_11-24-14_238.jpg

2013-12-20_11-35-20_738.jpg

$18.56 total. Instant profit.

While I was tearing them apart I remembered that a car part needed to be shipped out so Steph and Heath ran to the post office while I worked. She got back before I had the second one completely apart.

It is supposed to rain so there were a few things that had to be moved under shelter so we got the Hemorrhoid started up and hooked to the small trailer and got things moved. True to her name she was hard to start. Took 30 minutes on a battery charger to get her awakened.

Heath and LittleBoy had a a ball

http://youtu.be/7RzJElR3sC4

Then I got a call from a guy who had some scrap to sell and needed it gone immediately because he needed to buy dog food. I can't leave a dog to starve so I said I would be right up.

As I was preparing to leave I got another call from a guy about three junk tractors so I hooked up the small trailer and headed out.

I for to the guys house and grabbed his scrap and then didn't have anything but a $100. He didn't have change (obviously since he couldn't buy dog food. So I dropped my trailer and ran down to the gas station and got change then went back.

It was a short drive to the next stop. With those three derelict junkers loaded up I headed home.

I saw a small bear dead on the side of the road. Unfortunately I couldn't stop to get a picture because of traffic.

With the bad clutch on the truck things were interesting. Going down hills at 70 and cresting the next one at 10 got old, but once again Christine got me home.

Tomorrow (hopefully) both trucks go to the scrap yard to unload then I have to go to Hickory to get a car.

#1461 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Willie, just want to say I really enjoy reading the adventures of your hat. Good stuff, keep it coming.
Jack..
  • Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1462 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Willie, just want to say I really enjoy reading the adventures of your hat. Good stuff, keep it coming.
Jack..

thanks I  enjoy sharing.

Short day today.

I rolled out out be about 5 minutes ahead of the 9am alarm clock.

SpeedyCoffeeCup.JPG

Then Heath and I spent 40 minutes watching the newest episode of Roadkill.

After that we all went out. Steph and I tossed the last couple of things up on the trailer and then both trucks headed for the scrap yard.

load.jpg

When we go there the grappler was down because it was low on hydraulic fluid. I wasn't about to unload the trailer by hand so we waited.

The yard just fired the old crane operator because he was lazy and worthless. He was a good operator, but you could never get him to work. So the manager climbed up on the crane to fill the fluid. I tossed him my rubber mallet to get the cap loose. Long story short he did it wrong and he and I both wound up covered in hot hydraulic fluid. He didn't release the pressure cap. Fortunately I had another shirt. My hat caught most of the fall out.

Once we got unloaded we came home to do nothing the rest of the day. My back is killing me. Stephs is worn out. Heath, however, is ready and raring to go.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, December 21, 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#1463 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Kids usually are ready and raring to go.  It takes me a couple of days to recoup when the grandkids come over.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1464 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yesterday morning I woke up with nothing to do. So I did it.

About 4pmI got a call from a guy who had a Dodge Dakota and needed money desperately. Heath was down for a nap so I headed out along in the BlueOx to get it.

I stopped by my buddies cigar shop on the way home and his first words to me were, “Stop walking like a cowboy.” LOL.

It started raining on my way home and of course the wipers on the Ox decided to not work. Made driving home fun.

I got home at around 7pm and was done.

This morning bright and early I woke up and it was pouring rain outside. I mean pouring. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

At aroudn 9 I made my way to the coffee pot.

Hario_Coffee.jpg

It was still raining and I was supposed to pick up a car at noon, but I still had the Dodge loaded. I didn't really feel like cutting the catalytic converter off of it in the rain. I am allergic to electricity so is Steph.

So I called the guy and told him it would be tomorrow morning.

About noon the rain quit and I decided to get the truck off to scrap. We went out and sloshed our way through getting it prepped.

I had a low tire on the Ox and my airline wont reach the front yard so I had to drive around back. After the tire was filled I didn't think I was going to make it out of the yard. I came out of the front yard onto the driveway completely sideways and digging for traction even though I was in 4wd. The Dodge had decided it wanted to go next door and I had no say in the matter. I proved it wrong.

After getting it unloaded I called the guy with the car and asked if he still wanted me to come today. He did. I had to go back by the house to unload the tires off the Dakota (it had descent aftermarket Cragar Soft 8's on it) and grabbed my thermos and a couple of cigars and hit the road.

I had to stop at the bank – which took an hour. I think everyone in Lincoln county had a check to cash.

I finally got to the guys house at 530 and got the car – a 92 Olds 88. He aslo has a trailer and some toolboxes that I bought and I will go pick up tomorrow or Thursday. I know him – it will still be there.

JacobD has been wanting a car to tear up so I called him on my way home and asked him if he was interested in the car. He wanted to look at it so I told him to meet me in about 45 minutes. I got home at around 745.

I got home and poured some gas in the car and tried to jump it off. No go. After Jacob got here I went to find a different battery and it started right up. Smoked good but it ran. Since he is just going to tear it up he didn't care. He took it home with him.

After I ate, Steph had to go to the store. Heath and I were here doing nothing. He brought me a sippy cup so I went to the kitchen to fill it and we had no juice. I gave him a bottle of milk instead and he walked straight to his bed. It was 930. 30 minutes past his bedtime. He went right to sleep.

Tomorrow I have to clean up the mess in the front yard and them I am done till Thursday. Maybe.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1465 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Another happy customer of uncle wille's quality used cars :D This thing runs like ****! I think I'm gonna cut the exhaust off and see if that helps any. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#1466 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Nothing like sloshing around to get work done!

#1467 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:16 PM

I can't get over the fact that so many people have junk cars sitting around.

#1468 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I can't get over the fact that so many people have junk cars sitting around.

I am glad they do

#1469 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I wish I had a bunch of them to haul for scrap!

#1470 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:34 PM

I wish I had a bunch of them to haul for scrap!

Me too