UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Bad thing here is that late crops are going to rot if the rain doesn't stop. There is a field of soybeans and a several fields of cotton that I know of around here that are too wet to harvest. I have no idea how long it would take cotton to dry out.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1442 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Not sure if today is over or not

This morning bright and early I rolled out of bed an

decaf.jpg

Then we shuffled out to the trucks to do the job we started to do yesterday. We made one stop to grab some gloves, because handling frozen metal is miserable, then got to the house.

Unfortunately the yard was a swamp which slowed everything down. Fortunately the DragonFly doesn't care what the ground is like and just went straight to work. The only real problem we had was that a tire on the DF went down and little and I lost a tire chain. The chain was gunked with mud so the tire had to come off in order to get it off the axle because I could not find the latch. Once it was back on the tractor we were back to work.

Once we had everything loaded we found that the ratchet straps had been in the back of Steph's truck since Saturday and got rained on and were frozen solid. Made them really fun to use to get things strapped down.

It took much longer to leave that job than I had planned and we didn't leave there till almost noon. I was trying to call my 2pm appointment to get his address and I couldn't reach him.

Since I couldn't reach him we came home and got the DragonFly off the little trailer then loaded that trailer up with metal from my yard that has needed to leave for a while. About halfway thru that I got a text from the guy I was supposed to meet that he got called in to a meeting on an emergency and didn't know when he was going to get out. So we decided to go ahead and go to the scrap yard.

I am glad we did because I had a pickup scheduled for 5pm but I still have not heard from them. They called when I was doing something else and couldn't write any information down. I told her to call me when she got off work so maybe I will be going to Charlotte tonight. If not I have a pretty busy day tomorrow.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#1443 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I know Heath is glad to be home.

Today at the break of early rolled out of bed. I had 30 minutes allotted to get dressed and

coffee because crack isnt allowed.jpg

Then we headed out into the frost covered yard, hooked the tow dolly to the BlueOx, and left. First stop was for a splash of cash and an ATM machine. Then we headed 55 miles away in north Charlotte. We got a 95 S10 Blazer from a guy in an apartment complex then headed home.

We pulled the Blazer apart while I was fielding phone calls and texts from everyone on earth and talking to my buddy Tim who stopped by to talk for a minute. Heath took the opportunity to chase the cat around the yard. In all it took us about an hour.

I kept calling and texting the next pickup and he would do every thing but give me an address. It was driving me up a wall. I finally told him that I was not even going to head his direction till I had an address and he sent it to me.

With the Blazer apart and loaded up with all the radiators we had stacked up, we saddled up again and headed south to the scrap yard. After we sold everything we made what should have been a quick stop at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. 30 minutes later we got away.

We made a super quick stop at the house to drop the dolly and snag the trailer, change Heath, and head out again.

Had to make a stop at the QuickTrip to get more gas (I kind of ran it hard to get to the first guy on time). Steph ran in to get food while I pumped gas. A guy walked up to me and asked if I had a 7/16th socket because he was loosing a spinner off his rim. While I was doing that I forgot to clean my windows. I paid for that later.

This time 45 miles away to Cornelius to get what turned out to be a home made aluminum building. They had made the frame from conduit and then covered it in corrugated aluminum. The kid had cut it apart in barely manageable sections. We wrestled it on the truck while he was about to drive me nuts trying to help.

We finally got away from there and I tried to get in touch with the next scheduled pickup. He never answered so we headed homed. Which turned out to be an hour drive into the sun. The dirty windshield made it miserable. Nothing like driving by braille.

After nearly 400 miles of driving today we got home and I carried Heath in and tossed him on the couch and it was like a watch spring breaking. He went bonkers running around and trying to play with all his toys at once.

I am waiting to see if the guy calls to pick up his car tonight.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, December 12, 2013 - 06:27 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1444 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Busy busy day there Uncle Willie!  

#1445 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 06:12 PM

The busy end to a busy day.

This morning we all slept in till 9am. I got a whole 5 hours of sleep. Then

strongcoffee.gif

We had to drive up to Sawmills to get a car

carz.jpg

Had to stop by Lowe's on the way home to get some philips screwdriver bits. Saw this answer to a problem no one ever knew existed.

jack.jpg

Then we headed home to rip it apart.

Once that was done I headed to the crusher while Steph spent some time loading trash on the little trailer and all of the tires on aluminum rims on Christine.

At the scrap yard I saw this genius.

idiot2.jpg

idiot.jpg

I sat and watched while they unloaded the car and then ran the VIN. Then they loaded the car right back on the tiny trailer and the guy had to leave with it. When I got up to the loader I asked what was wrong. The car was a 2006 and he had no title on it. Anything less than 10 years old has to have a title. The guy knew that but brought it anyway.

Once I was unloaded and had my cash I headed home.

Steph had Christine loaded up so she started to clean out out the BlueOx while I started to tear apart the building we got yesterday. In short order I figured out that it was faster and easier to take a hammer and beat the aluminum off than it was to try to cut out 400,000,000 rivets. I may be deaf now though.

While I was beating and banging a friend came by to see what we were doing. I tried to convince him to help me work, but he said he had to go LOL.

At around dark I had all the aluminum off the frame work and the frame loaded back on the trailer.

Steph had managed to take a 60 foot synthetic winch cable and turn it into a 4 foot knot so I got that untangled and rolled up properly and then we called it a day.

I am beat and sore and tomorrow I have to try to get more stuff loaded up. Hopefully it won't rain like they are calling for.

• MH81, Craig., sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#1446 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:35 AM

busy busy busy, hopefully it will stay dry.

#1447 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:17 PM

busy busy busy, hopefully it will stay dry.

It didn't

• KennyP said thank you

#1448 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Did it rain on your parade, Uncle Willie?

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1449 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yup it do.

• Craig. said thank you

#1450 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:02 PM

My back said no more.

Try as I might I could not get to sleep last night. I chatted with Gerald till about 1230 then I tried to sleep. Nothing doing. I was awake till about 330.

I was having this really weird dream. There was a gunshot that was so close I could feel it in my feet. So I looked out the window and there were huge holes all over the yard and the pear tree was broken in half and the yard was covered in Bald Eagles. Then the phone rang.

I woke up and it said restricted number which usually means my elderly neighbor so I answered it and it was some guy rambling on about scrap metal.

SOOOOOOOOO

coffeemonster.jpg

After doing all my PT exercises so I could actually move (Heath helped by crawling on my face) I got outside at about 1130.

First we had to set up a work area. We moved the gantry crane from its resting spot and then put down some plastic to civer the swampy yard and then tossed an old oriental rug that we got out of a scrap truck and I was ready.

The DragonFly was rousted from her slumber and got hooked to the mobile crane and began to move derelict tractors to be disassembled.

First was the crappy Dynamark that I bought for the engine and tires. My biddy Tim wanted the transaxle so that had to come out too. It took me about an hour to get it apart and get the carcass loaded on the big trailer.

While I was disassembling tractors Steph was trying to get all the styrofoam insulation off the roof of an old pop up camper so the aluminum could go to the smelter.

At 1 Heath went down for his nap. He had been playing in my truck.

I got a call from a guy who has a huge machine that I have to pick up on Wednesday so the trailer has to be empty by then.

Then we drug one of the food racks into the little metal building and got it set up to hold engines. The Big opposed twin Briggs off the Dyanmark was too big to fit in the rack so it got set to the side on the floor.

Then an old Murray got dragged over and disassembled. The PO did some awesome work on it.

2013-12-16_14-36-57_839.jpg

2013-12-16_14-42-49_862.jpg

With that engine sat on the rack and we dragged an old – I have no idea – over and I started to pull it apart when my back said, “NOPE!!!”

I came in to sit on my Shiatsu cushion while Steph scooped up all the tools.

She left to go to the tire shop and pick up all of our aluminum rims and to go to the store so I have some quiet time.

Tomorrow we have to get about 3 more tractors pulled apart then the load has to go to scrap. First thing in the morning I have to make a quick runt o pick up a bunch of appliances so I will get a later start than I wanted to on the tractors.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1451 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here's one for you, Willie.   http://www.iloveguns..._id=7&Itemid=82

#1452 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have no idea how to title today. (BF maybe)

This morning at an waaaaaay too early hour my alarm went off signaling me to get moving. I laid in bed for 30 minutes trying to move.

Finally I poked Steph in the forehead and told her it was time to get up, and

cg.JPG

(THanks DougT)

With a full thermos we sauntered into the yard to get busy.

Before I could get my first cup of coffee down I got a call from a guy in Greensboro about delivering the Piss-at parts to him. I told him I would get back with him as soon as the first job was done.

The BlueOx was still hooked to the big trailer with misc scrap on it, So it had to be unhooked and then hooked up to the small trailer. Once that was done and everyone was strapped in we headed off to Denver. No not Colorado – NC.

I got the house and walked up to a single door and rang the doorbell. Then I noticed that there was a bell on both sides of the door. A very confused looking couple came to the door and the conversation was something like this.

Me: Hi I am William White I am here to get the appliances.

Them: Confused look.

Me (to the man): Are you Dwayne?

Him: No.

Me: Well this is the address he gave me...

Him: There is no William White here.

Me: No, I am William White, I am looking for Dwayne.

Woman: Oh he may live next door this is a duplex.

So I got my phone out of the truck and called. He came right out.

With the appliances loaded up we headed back for home.

We saw this guy about a ½ mile from his house.

2013-12-17_09-55-45_553.jpg

Steph's cell phone ( an ancient Palm Pre) has been slowly dying. It has been kind of like watching systematic organ failure. I found her a phone on Ebay that was cheap and best of all close. I had contacted the guy this weekend and he called back yesterday and I never noticed I had a voice mail. Steph called him and we agreed to meet at his work.

On the way there I noticed that I was almost out of gas. I mean sucking up the bottom of the tank. I noticed this in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately there was a tiny gas station located at about the end of my fuel tank. With a splash and go we were off.

We got the phone and then I had my first brain fart (BF1)of the day. I never thought to check and see if the phone took a sim card. I just assumed that since my phone did hers would as well since they are the same brand of phone (Motorola Droids). So we went to Verizon. Where they charged me $10 to activate the phone ( after fending off swarm after swarm of “you have an upgrade you can use”) which I could have done for free online.

Then we went next door to Sonic and got some food.

Then home.

I called and got the address for the guy in Greensboro, then we loaded all the parts up on Christine (after washing the transmission fluid that was still in there from the BlueOx transfer case repair out) and I headed off. The wrong direction. (BF2). Had to make a U turn in front of my own house.

Then I made tracks up 85 to Greensboro. The clutch is going out so it was a game of let it go as fast as it would go in each gear before it slipped. Turned out that on flat ground I could do about 70 in 5th gear.

About 6 miles from the guys house I slowed for a stop sign and I heard an odd noise. I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything so I went on my way. (BF3) and then go to the guys house. Where I noticed I had no license plate.

Once I had my wad of cash I headed back to the intersection and looked for the plate. There were woods on one side of the road so I pulled over in a level looking spot (BF4) to look. As the truck was slowing it began to go sideways - into a steep ditch that was full of leaves. It was sitting on the differential and wasn't going anywhere.

2013-12-17_15-50-17_931.jpg

I looked for the plate and didn't see it so I walked to the closest house and a guy was standing outside next to his truck watching me. He pulled me out and wouldn't take payment and I went on my way.

I called Steve (searsyellow) to see if he was home since I was going right by his house on the way home. He was.

I had to stop for gas and when I slowed down the truck squealed and the power steering got sluggish. At the gas station I checked the PS fluid and it was gone. The gas station had none so it was gas and coffee and highway for me.

After about 3 miles the steering came back to normal.

I got to Steves and talked to him a while. He gave me some junk he had been saving for me and some venison and I headed out. The belt on Christine was squealing again and I just (BF5) figured it was the PS pump. There was a Wal-mart close to the interstate so I pulled in. before I could park the truck overheated.

Opened the hood and no belt. Alternator was locked up tight. I hit it with my pliers and it turned. I went on in WM and got PS fluid and some PB Blaster and asked where the nearest parts house was. It was only a mile away. By shutting the truck off and coasting as much as I could I made it.

They had a belt but no alternator. No other parts places were open. So I put the belt on it, hosed the internals on the alt down with PB and crossed my fingers that it didn't all burst into flame before I got home.

I made it to within 2 miles and the alt locked completely up. I shut the truck home and pulled in the driveway in stealth mode.

Now it needs a clutch, alternator and license plate. Fortunately Ihave a spare alternator, the clutch is under warranty, and the plate won't cost much.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1453 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Sounds like a stressful day Willie!  But you pulled it off!

#1454 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Not only did I pull it off, I looked good while I did it. :camera: :rocker2:

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1455 KennyP ONLINE