• Please log in to reply
4308 replies to this topic

#1411 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:21 AM

Just another calm, relaxing day in Willieville ! I don't know how you do it Willie.

#1412 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Today was an easy day.

After about 5 hours of sleep I got up at 11 and headed to the kitchen.

crazyvoffee.png

My adopted son, Graham, wanted to go pick up some scrap metal at his step dads shop because he needed some money, however, the scrap yards are closed so we took a ride to the ATM to get some cash and I bought the scrap from him.

Once I got back home Steph and I got busy and got the VW off the tow dolly and aired up the one low tire on the BlueOx and we headed off to Hickory to get a Ford Exploder.

The Furd had 2 flat front tires so we aired them up with the porta ble air tank and then Steph pulled the Ox down the hill and got the dolly ready while I pushed the Exploder out of its resting place and down onto the dolly.

heafff.jpg

With that done we headed home and took a alook in side the Furd. It has a pretty descent oriental rug in the back that I will list on CL shortly. Steph doesn't like it. If someone gives me $5 for it I will be happy.

2013-11-29_16-04-11_969.jpg

Now I am sitting on my butt for the rest of the day.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1413 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Another one bites the dust.

I woke up to my phone going crazy this morning. It would not shut off so, bleary eyed as I was, I had to fumble around and pull the battery out. No idea why it went nuts. Then I started sneezing.

Then it was my favorite time of day.

coffeetime.jpg

Finally I stopped sneezing and we wandered out in the yard about 130 and got to tearing the Exploder apart. Let me say this. If I ever meet a Ford engineer I may just beat him to death. There is no reason to have to disassemble half the truck to get the intake manifold off. And who thought that needing a special tool to take the fan off the water pump was a good idea. Absolutely ridiculous. Anyhow I was glad to have it all apart.

While we were destroying the Furd I got a call from a guy who wants the turbo off the Passat. Since no one has called wanting to buy the whole car I will pull it off tomorrow and have ti waiting for him.

Now I am enjoying the last cup of coffee for the day.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1414 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Greasy Sunday.

We all slept in a bit this morning. Although I went ot sleep at 3am so it wasn't all that late for me.

Then it was

coffee.jpg

At around 130 Steph and I got outside and assaulted the Pissat. Yes I spelled it wrong. That is how I feel about the car.

A guy called and wanted the Turbo. That is not an easy job on this car. The entire front end came apart. Since it is a newer car and had good fenders those came off too. None of that is easy. There are lots of tiny bolts in inaccessible places. And lots of those bolts are torx and hex cap bolts. I don't think I have used my torx and hex bits that much ever.

Even with the front metal removed the head had to come off to get the turbo out. Since the head is aluminum I wasn't all that upset over it. But it was a chore to get it off. 8Mm hex bolts held the head on and 4 of them were set so deeply in the head that I had to use a regular old allen wrench to get them out. It wasn't fun.

Heat woke up from his nap at around 430 and Steph brought him out to join us. Making him keep his hot on his head was a chore. He finally got a spanking for taking it off and that ended the problem. He is fighting an ear infection and needs his ears covered outside in the wind.

I made one mistake. I took the bottom turbo oil line off the oil pan without thinking that ...duuuuhhhhhh, it is in the oil pan. I made a bit of a mess before I got my finger shoved in the hole to stop the flow of oil while Steph ran to get a drain pan.

The accessory mount was a huge piece of aluminum so I wanted it off. All but one bolt came out. Of course it was in a completely inaccessible place. It was an 8mm cap screw and was rounded out. I gried to get the air grinder after it but no joy. Finally the mini sledge came out and the bracket surrendered- albeit in pieces.

Finally the car was in tiny pieces all over the back yard. Steph picked up tools while Heath and I came in side to get cleaned up.

Tomorrow the Exploder and the Pissat go to the crusher.

I hate Vws.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1415 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I hate the newer vehicles just for those reasons.

• Craig. said thank you

#1416 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I would take great pleasure and crushing a vw. My jetta was one of the worst vehicles I ever owned.

#1417 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well I think I made up for all the rest and relaxation the last few weeks.

At 5am I got a phone call. It rang twice and then hung up. Since I had been awakened I figured I would return the favor to whoever was in the callers house. Guy said he was trying to text me. I explained to him that 5am was not a descent time to call or text and he could contact me after 9am for whatever he wanted.

As soon as I hung up I got a text from him. I didn't reply

So at 9am I dragged myself to the kitchen for...

coffee. My computer is being a jerk so I can't find a picture.

With my first cup of mud I read the 5am text. Guy had the frame/floor out of a Saturn View and wanted $150 for it. I laughed and told him $50. He said no. SO glad he woke me up.

Then we got outside, clambered aboard the BlueOx, got it hooked up to the tow dolly that had the Exploder on it, and headed down to the scrap yard.

(New policy at the yard is they have to run the VIN on ever car before it is unloaded. I feel that I had a hand in that new law. This summer Congressman Tim Moore introduced a bill that said no cars would be scrapped without a title. I sent him a very long email about how that would not work because many vehicles do not have titles any longer. I suggested an instantly search-able database and a requirement to check every vehicle.)

Then we headed back to get the Piss-at. Since the yard was muddy I new that Christine wasn't going to move it so I fired up the Hemorrhoid for the first time in 2 weeks and gave it a shove. It dug quite a hole in the driveway but managed to force the diminutive Nazi slot-car up on the tow dolly.

Then it went off to the crusher. With a full wallet we headed home again. I showed Steph the back way I found to the scrap yard for when we have those less than legal loads that need to be kept from the prying eyes of those boys in neat uniforms who had out money orders.

At home Steph put Heath down for a nap. Graham came over and he and I hopped in Christine and headed to his step fathers shop to get a load of scrap. The clutch was slipping slightly while it was empty. Full it was really slipping.

While we were driving home Graham mentioned that he didn't want to go home and do nothing. I asked if he wanted to go to Hickory to get a car and he did.

At home we quickly unloaded Christine, told Steph to let Heath sleep and bring him with her when she went to class tonight, and we hopped in the BlueOx and departed.

On the way up I called a tow truck to meet me at the car lot to get the van I was picking up. The car lot had a customer take it on a test drive and wound up in a concrete culvert. The passengers side front tire is folded up under the door. I told the towing company that I just wanted the van picked up and put on my trailer. He said $50 and I agreed.

We waited for the roll back for a while and it never showed. I called the towing company annd they said the driver sat outside for 15 minutes honking his horn and no one was there. We had been outside for 20 minutes. We were at Doug White's car lot. He was across the intersection at Steve White's.

The dispatcher said someone would be there in 10 minutes. 15 minutes later a roll back pulled in.

The driver was an old guy who really didn't seem to know what he was doing. I offered as much help as I could and we finally got it loaded.

After we had it on the trailer (which took entirely too long) the guy apologized and told me that he was retired and had not run a wrecker in 15 years, but I needed a lift and he made the mistake earlier. I gave him $60.

Steph met up with us and I retrieved Heath and we headed home. One stop at Sonic for food and we were home.

Graham said all we had done all day was drive. I told him that was 95% of the job.

Tomorrow he is going to work with me again. I think he had fun.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#1418 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it wasn't for Furds our tools would rust.

We had a busy day planned so after 4 hours of sleep the alarm went off at 7am and I creaked and groaned out of bed and into the kitchen.

Mutant_Coffee_Pot_by_manpondering.jpg

Then we went outside and started to dissect the Voyager Graham and I picked up last night.

Graham came over about 830 and helped out. Then he and I went off to the scrap yard.

On the way back to the house I called a guy I was supposed to get 3 cars from. The conversation went something like this...

Me: I need you to text me the address where the cars are.

Him: Well they are not at my house I will have to go get the address.

M: If they aren't on your property you have permission to sell them, right?

H: Well no, the guy that owned them got deported back to Mexico after his wife died.

M: So they aren't yours to sell?

H: No, but he isn't coming back.

M: Well, I can't touch them unless I have permission from him or the property owner to move them.

H: Well, his wife died and I don't know who owns them.

M: If you get permission to sell them call me back.

Then I called my buddy who owns a garage who called me last week to pick up a car and I was unable to get there. He said he had fixed the car while he was waiting for me and was going to sell it.

So with my day torpedoed we headed home.

I was sitting here doing nothing (Steph and Heath went shopping) and the phone rang. It was my neighbor. Her son's F-250 broke down and he needed it towed to the shop.

I took the tow dolly over and tried it but the truck was about 2 inches to wide. It was too long to get on my trailer so I sat and pondered it for a minute then I called my roadside assistance. I haven't used it all year and I have been paying for it so I figured I would use it.

They told me it would be an hour before they got there so I cleaned out his truck and then ran home to drop the tow dolly and get a cigar then went back to his house to wait.

The tow truck arrived and it got towed to the diesel shop. Ironically, Jonathon is a diesel mechanic, but he works on heavy equipment and didn't have the means to scan the computer to find out what is wrong with it.

Turns out that I know a guy who works at the shop so he and I talked for a bit and then I came back home and took Johnathon’s keys to his mom. He had about 4000000000 keys on the ring. The shop only wanted the truck key.

She insists on paying me and I refused to give her a price. We will see how that goes.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1419 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 07:13 PM

"diminutive Nazi slot-car"  :bigrofl: 

#1420 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Talk her down to the least she will agree to give you, then go and buy her some nice flowers with the money, lol. She sounds like a nice lady and doesn't want you to be out money for being neibourly.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#1421 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Nothing happened today. It was rainy off and on all day. I stayed dry.
  • KennyP said thank you

#1422 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 04:10 PM

All of me is tired today.

This morning about 4 minutes before my alarm went off I got a call from the guy we were going up to get a car from. He just wanted to make sure we were coming. My superpower is sounding like I have been up for hours when I just woke up.

Then it was time for

maxwell-house-coffee-aroma-therapy-small-80143.jpg

With that done we all loaded up in the BlueOx and headed up to Lenoir.

Once you get off of 321 it is all narrow twisting back roads that are barely wide enough for 2 small vehicles to pass. Let alone a wide truck and an even wider tow dolly. I think I scared a few mailboxes.

The house was at the top of a long hill with no room to maneuver. So Steph dropped the tow dolly and pushed it off in the weeds while I backed the truck down the hill and turned it around.

Then we had to turn the little Saturn around. That was fun. There was no way to get the chain on the front of the car. So Steph put it on the frame rail between the tires and we started it backwards. Once we got it back far enough to turn it 90 degrees she moved the chain to the front and we got it on around. Then the she hooked the dolly back up and took the truck to the bottom of the hill and blocked the entire street. Once she was ready I gave the Saturn a push and hopped in.

We have tried letting her do the loading before, but she is not very good at it. The last time she tried she nearly ran over the fender of the dolly.

Once I had the front of the car on the dolly she locked the cradle back down and I stuck the Saturn in gear so the front tires would hold to the dolly and she pulled off the road. There was a woman in a little SUV that I think would have run head on at the Saturn if she could have gotten past the truck.

All strapped down and tow lights in position we headed back to the house. I made her keep Heath awake till we got home. He wasn't all that happy about that, but if he gets a short nap he is terrible later in the evening.

Once we got home he got dropped in his bed and instantly was asleep.

Then while Steph took the Saturn apart I started to disassemble a Hyundai engine that I got for scrap that had thrown a rod straight through the bottom of the oil pan. Who ever designed that engine should be shot. In order to get to two of the sensors the entire top of the engine has to be disassembled. They were wedged down in the valley under the intake manifold and you couldn't get the bolts out wihtout taking the heads off. Genius design. And heaven help you if the water tube from the front to the rear of the engine ever leaked. The whole engine would have to come out of the car for that. Fortunately I was just tearing it apart.

The heads were held in with external torx bolts. A 12 point socket will fit, but I didn't have a 12 point 12MM deepwell. Nothing else would fit in the tiny hole you had to go through. Finally Steph found a 12 point shallow and we used an extension and just hoped and prayed the socket didn't get stuck on any of the bolts. Fortunately it didn't.

Then a Hyundai transmission had to come apart. That was a chore. Again the designer was a crack addict. I have no idea how it was supposed to come apart, but a 5 pound mini sledge overcomes a lot of engineering stupidity – as long as you aren't putting it back together.

When that was done I looked over at the pile of aluminum heads that had to come apart and said no way. My back was killing me.

I came in the house while Steph picked up tools. Inside I found a chicken that had managed to get in when I didn't get the door latched. She didn't know what to do.

A hot shower later and I am perched in my chair with the massaging cushion doing its thing. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, December 06, 2013 - 09:09 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1423 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like a busy day!

#1424 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Sounds like a busy day!

For Steph!!   Good thing she has Willie to supervise.       :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

#1425 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Doug is just jealous