UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:33 PM

I found it this morning at Advance I have never seen it before either. I am hoping it works. I will go out in a couple of hours and put another coat on it.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1397 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:44 PM

I used regular jb weld on a few Polaris transmissions. Never had a bit of issue with then being exposed to oil.

#1398 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,284 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I thought all JB was oil and gas resistant. It seems like if I can get it on the inside facing the oil it works better than if I just cover the crack from the outside. I always blamed it on the oil working out the crack and getting behind the JB and breaking the grip. It usually takes months to happen but it always seems like it eventually does. It might have to do with the flex at the crack too. Since Willie's case is welded he shouldn't have the flex. If it's only a pinhole it should take a looong time to work its way through.

#1399 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Not a bad day. Just a bit chilly at the start.

This morning I got up early. Well early for someone who went to bed at 4am. I got up at 9. Then

funny-dog-running-hyped-on-coffee-funny-dog-photo-with-caption.jpg

Once I had that done I wandered out into the cold 30 degree morning and (for those of you who have not been following along) proceeded to pick up tools that were chiseled from dry ice and remove the transfer case.

If you haven't been following along take a moment to catch up I will wait. Go on it wont hurt. You can do it.

There that wasn't that hard was it. And it saves me a bunch of typing.

After I had the first coat of JB Weld on the cracks and welds I put the new water pump on the truck and buttoned up a couple of things under the hood.

Then I came inside for a couple of hours while the JB weld cured a bit. Finally I staggered back to the shop and checked it out and gave it another coat.

I have to get it fixed tomorrow because the weather forecast for Tuesday is for heavy rain.

At 8 Steph went across the street to watch The Walking Dead since we don't have cable and Graham and Jenni do. Heath and I tore the house apart while she was gone. That will teach her to leave us alone.

Whenever this finally uploads this will be a video of Heath playing with the cat and a bowl. Kid has a house full of toys and he play with kitchenware.

Edit: oops I messed up. Video will be a bit longer.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, November 25, 2013 - 01:16 AM.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1400 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:55 AM

Looks like he was having fun. Sometimes the simplest things are the best toys! I think the cat had the same thoughts as you!

#1401 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:26 PM

It's Alive.jpg

Much earlier than I wanted to I staggered to the kitchen for …

coffeeprotect.jpg

After a brief discussion we realized that Heath has had very little time outside lately so he got bundled up and we all went outside. It was bout 36 degrees when we got out there and Heath had a ball.

While he played in Christine, Steph and I wrestled the transfer case into position. Then we started hooking everything back up.

At 3pm we had everything back in place and only needed one stupid nut that held the shifter on the transfer case. We searched everywhere for it and it was gone. Had a bolt that appeared to be the same size and thread (but I didn't have my reading glasses on) and I searched for a nut. Couldn't find one. So I went to Ace with the bolt to get one.

Heath went down for a nap.

Came home and it was a different thread.

So the tap and die set got dragged out and I told Steph to find a die that fit on the shaft. She did. Then I told her to find the same sized tap. She did. We searched in every bin, bowl, box, and tub that had bolts in it and nothing.

Finally I headed off to Autozone, with the tap in my pocket, to get some antifreeze and look for a nut. The didn't have a nut that was the right thread so I headed off to Ace.

I knew that the tap was a 1/8-27 odd to be sure but that is what Steph said the tap said on it. I couldn't read it.

After searching Ace for a nut they had nothing. So I got an employee to help. He started looking. He was looking at stuff with a 24 thread. I told him it was 27 and he looked at me funny. Then he read the tap. 1/8 NPT-24. Well that explained it. It was pipe thread.

Since I was desperate I grabbed a pipe nipple and some flat washers and headed home. 3 washers and the nipple and the linkage was held on. It isn't holding any weight so it will be OK till I find a scrap 4wd truck to steal one off of.

Finally the Ox roared to life and backed out of the yard. Well almost. It was low on trans fluid. 3 quarts later and it pulled out into the road.

When I got back I checked the fluid again and it was still low, but no leaks - so far. Steph had to go to the store so I told her to snag some.

It is supposed to be nasty weather tonight and tomorrow so I am glad to have the 4wd truck working again.

In celebration I bought a beer. Yeehaw. :beer:

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1402 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,284 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Willie, are you talking about the shaft coming out of the transfer case? I'm thinking that should be a 10 X 1.5. It would have had 15mm flats on it. A 3/8 coarse is real close but not quite. Should be a common GM nut.

#1403 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 10:51 PM

No this is the actual shift mechanism itself. I was dumbfounded that it was that finely a threaded bolt and pipe thread to boot. Although who knows what the PO "transmission shop owner" did to it.

#1404 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 06:19 AM

Glad it's back together before bad weather hit!

#1405 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,284 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:26 AM

No this is the actual shift mechanism itself. I was dumbfounded that it was that finely a threaded bolt and pipe thread to boot. Although who knows what the PO "transmission shop owner" did to it.

Yep, you never know about those trans shop owners. :D  Pipe thread sure soesn't sound right but then maybe I'm not picturing what your talking about. There's just the lever that's held onto the shaft coming through the case with the 15mm headed nut and the rod from the shifter pops into a plastic grommet in the lever. Did someone lose the grommet and thread the rod?

#1406 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Duct tape a few of Heath's diapers together & make a "Sick Willie" adult diaper!  :smilewink:

LOL laughed so hard I about peed my pants.

#1407 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yep, you never know about those trans shop owners. :D  Pipe thread sure soesn't sound right but then maybe I'm not picturing what your talking about. There's just the lever that's held onto the shaft coming through the case with the 15mm headed nut and the rod from the shifter pops into a plastic grommet in the lever. Did someone lose the grommet and thread the rod?

The threaded rod that comes out of the case itself that actually does the shifting has a pipe thread on it. I have no idea who did it or if I will ever find another nut to replace it. The pipe union went right on on it. I can always make a new nut by drilling the threads out of an appropriately sized one and retapping it if I need to.

This shaft here

NP241Chevy.jpg

LOL laughed so hard I about peed my pants.

Maybe I can market my duct tape diaper

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1408 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,284 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 03:52 PM

That was the shaft I was thinking about. I don't remember them being fine threaded either. I checked the GM parts list for the 241 case.. They claim its 3/8-24 which is just common NF. Good thing I'm not a betting man. I'd have bet on Metric. The other thing I found was that my 1/8 NPT shows 27 threads and the BSP shows 28. So........Hard to say what has happened. maybe it was an employee like I had one time that had no concept of sizes and threads. If the die starts, just cram it on there. Can you run the 3/8 fine die on it and use that size? If not and you need pipe thread, check out an old lamp. Most of the ones with a small pipe through them are 1/8 and they have nuts to hold all the parts together.

#1409 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:30 PM

didn't think about lamp parts as you will read in a minute the union seems to work perfect.

#1410 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:58 PM

The old girl got to stretch her legs today.

After getting some much needed sleep[ and some even more needed

tankcar2.jpg

I sat in my office for a while watching it pour rain outside.

At around 130 it was time to get moving so we hooked the tow dolly to the BlueOx and headed out. First stop was the gas station. She was on empty. When we got there we realized that the bank card was on my desk. Fortunately I had $18 in cash so we got some gas and headed back home to get the card.

It was a good thing anyway because gas was cheaper at the Shell station since we had the Bi-lo reward card with $.57 off per gallon. SO with a half a tank (all we could get with the discount) we headed to Hickory.

The finance company that called me last week (when the truck was broken) had their regular repo guy go get the cars and tow them to his lot so they didn't disappear. Good thing about that is I don't have to worry about being in danger during the pickups.

We go to the lot and I waded inside to talk to the guy. He has some kind of parrot that was pretty cool. I gave the parrot a business card and it destroyed it. The guy was laughing.

We sloshed outside and looked at the cars – a 2001 VW Passat with a FUBAR engine and a 2000 Ford Exploder with....well it is a Ford. The car lot also had a 2000 Dodge Caravan that someone took for a test drive this weekend and drove into a culvert. I made him an offer on it and he accepted so that one will come home too.

The great thing about the repo cars is I don't have to pay for them immediately. Worked out perfect since my last $18 in cash went in the tank. Once I pay the power bill there will be no more on the bank card.

On the trip back I got a call from a detective in Caldwell County to see if I had done any business with a guy who stole a bunch of heavy equipment parts. I had never heard of him but I kept in number in case I got a call.

On the way home I screwed up big time. There was a wreck on Highway 321 business. I got to an intersection that I really didn't survey closely enough and I tried to trun around. There was not enough room. I got halfway turned and realized I had messed up. While getting it untangled one of the straps came off the dolly. Steph ran back to look and for some unknown reason she set the parking brake on the Passat. When I tried to pull forward on the wet road it had more bite than I did. Of course the wreck cleared up at this point and I was the one blocking traffic. Once the brake was unlocked I dragged it half off the dolly for about ¼ mile till I got to a parking lot that I could pull in to.

We jumped out and I opened the back of the Ox to grab the com-along. It wasn’t there. Steph had taken it out for some reason and it was laying in the back yard. Resisting the urge to strangle her I got a ratchet strap out and hooked it up. With a combination of pulling the truck back and forth and tightening the strap we got it back up on the dolly and strapped down.

We finally sailed back into the front yard where I stuck the transfer case in 4 hi and drove through the swamp that was my yard. It worked flawlessly so I reckon the union works to hold the shift linkage together.

I came inside and grabbed an umbrella to shoot a quick video of the Passat. I will have it till Monday and might be able to sell some parts off it. Who knows.

At some point the video will post below.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, November 26, 2013 - 07:27 PM.

• MH81, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks