• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Not a bad day.

After being awake too late and getting out of bed too late I finally

CoffeeAddiction.gif

Then I goofed off online until Steph put Heath down for his nap. I am still a bit sore, and getting up and down is a mite painful, so I need her to fetch tools.

After a bit of wrestling I got the oil pan back on the BlueOx and torqued properly. Since the IFS is in the way it makes it a bit difficult to reach a couple of the bolts.

And we lost three bolts at some point.

So a search of the grass and tool boxes turned up two of them and then we began a hunt through the magic box to find another one. The first bolt Steph picked up was almost perfect. I had to chop off 3 threads to make it fit. I may let her look for more bolts.

With all but one bolt put back in the pan (the one bolt holds the retainer for the Trans cooling lines and I can't put them back until the trans is in) I started to put the oil cooling lines back in. They have a small odd sized O-ring in them that I wanted to replace. My set had one that was the right diameter, but the wrong thickness; and one that was the right thickenss and the wrong diameter. So I was off to the parts house.

I took along this little oil diverter valve to see if they had one since this one is cracked.

valve2.jpg

valve1.jpg

At Autozone I returned the crankshaft seals I didn't need and picked up some trans fluid. They didn't have the O ring or the diverter so I went to NAPA.

NAPA had nothing, but I had fun harassing the counter guys. While I was sitting there I had an epiphany I could plastic weld the cracked divereter valve. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Then I went to Crawley's. He had the O-rings.

Finally headed home.

Heath was up from his nap and was tearing around the yard.

First order of business was to clean the nasty sealant that was on the quick connects,so the angle grinder with a wire brush was stuck in the vise and I got them clean. Then I put the diverter back on the proper quick connect and heated up the soldering iron and got it put back together.

Finally I wanted to get the motor mounts hooked back up before we called it a day since it was getting rather dark.

They refused to line up. I mean refused.

The engine would not go back the necessary 1 inch to get them to line up and I couldn't push the hoist on the dirt so we took a detour and put the new fuel pump on the Hemorrhoid.

Of course, being the Hemorrhoid, it wasn't all that easy. The vacuum line that goes down to the valve cover cracked when I took it off. I looked at every tractor in the yard and none of them have that line. So I had Steph go in the shop and find a piece of shrink tubing that would go over it. With that shrunk down with the mini torch it was all back together and the Hemorrhoid sprung to life for the first time in about 4 weeks.

However, the engine hoist still would not budge. That is when I discovered the problem. The arm on the hoist was against the hood. So I did what any good mechanic would do. I lifted the engine up a bit and then let it slam down. It went right into place. Almost. I had to do a but of persuading to get the drivers side in.

With that done Steph shoved all the tools under the truck and we called it a day.

She had to go to the store so I had grab me a beer. First beer I have had in about 3 weeks.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 2 others have said thanks

#1382 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Chipping away at it.

This morning Heath and I had a big time while Steph slept in. While I

CoffeesGreat.gif

He drank all my juice while we watched silly videos and built stuff out of MegaBlocks. Finally we went in a woke Steph up. It was time for Heaths nap so time for us to get to work.

First thing I did was make some alignment bolts for the transmissive by cutting the heads off some long bolts and screwing them into the two lowest bolt holes on the engine block. Then after an extended wrestling match with the transmission we finally got that monster 4L80e beat into submission and everything on it hooked up. It took a lot longer than it should have.

First off the torque converter refused to line up with the pump. Then we had to get the thing lifted up to the extreme limit of the transmission jack and get it into position. After some shifting back and forth and lifting the engine up and down it finally slid into place.

While I was hooking up wiring and lines Steph got started putting the cooling fan back on the engine. We had to take it off to keep it from going thru the radiator while the engine mounts were loose.

It was starting to look like rain so we pulled out the monster tarp and strung it up over the BlueOx to keep the ground dry.

Finally it got dark and we packed it in.

While we picked up tools I let the dogs run.

We came in the house and after about 30 minutes I asked Steph if she put the dogs back up. She didn't. It took us 20 minutes to get them back at the house. I have no idea where they wandered off to.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1383 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Glad to see you are making some progress and getting back on your feet a bit.

#1384 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 01:50 AM

Sounds like a full day. Must feel good to get back to it.

#1385 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Well three steps forward and two steps back.

After my morning

1376449_10152042140920555_270788892_n.jpg

We went out after Heath went down for a nap and made good progress getting the T case back in.

While we did that I noticed a small water leak coming from the front of the engine. So while I finished up the T-case Steph pulled the fan back off the water pump and said that something was leaking.

So once I had everything done on my end I went up and took a look.. The bottom weep hole in the pump was leaking and the bottom of the pump was covered in stop leak. Previous owner strikes again.

So a made a run to Autozone and grabbed a new water pump and a transfer pump to full the T-case back up.

I made a second stop at the hardware store to get some bolts for the skid plate that somehow completely disappeared.

Back home I got to working on putting the fittings on the water pump while Steph was putting the drive shafts back in.

Once the case was full and I was putting the fill plug back in I noticed that fresh fluid was dripping from the case. I quick inspection revealed a half inch long hairline crack in the bottom of the case.

So we drained the fluid back out and I called my welder to see if he knew how to tell the difference in magnesuim and aluminum since some of the t-cases were magnesium. He didn't know. I did a little research to make sure that it was an aluminum case. Then I called the welder back and he said he could weld it tomorrow, but I had to take it back out.

About 20 minutes later he came by the house to look at it and said that it for sure has to come back out.

I am sore and it is dark so I stopped. Tomorrow morning I get to take it out again and take it to him to weld. Hopefully that will be the last of it.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1386 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Don't you just hate those "one thing after another" days? And the soreness doesn't help either. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you

#1387 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Glad you found that crack now. Much better than after the lube leaked out and bearings were trash!

#1388 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Glad to hear he can weld it for you, sorry to hear it has to be out.

With all this practice, just think how fast you guys will be able to do this the next time...
  • Craig. said thank you

#1389 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Gonna be like a NASCAR pit crew.

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#1390 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Less than one hour later and it is in the bed of Christine. Actually took about 45 minutes. The other 15 minutes was waiting for the feeling to return to my fingers. Holding tools in 32 degree weather is like working with ice cubes even with gloves on. My choices were thin work gloves or monster thick insulated ones. I would never have been able to work in the thick ones.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, November 24, 2013 - 11:10 AM.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1391 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Good Luck with the weld. Hope it works out OK.

#1392 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Good luck with the case, I hope everything works out.  You know you are a very lucky man.  Not many wives would be out there in 32* weather helping work on a truck especially laying on the ground.  1000 Emerald points to Steph.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1393 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM

I was working outside for the last hour or more without gloves... Hands fine, face is cold tho.

#1394 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Well things are at a halt now. Came back from the welder and following his advice I filled the case up before reinstalling it. It leaked. So I took it back to him and this time I took the fluid with me. He welded up the pinhole and we filled it up again. It had another tiny pinhole leak. Obviously welding was making things worse not better.

So I brought it home and got some JB Weld marine epoxy and covered the welds up and anywhere else that it looked like it may have a crack forming. The marine stuff is supposed to be resistant to petroleum. I will find out. For now the T case is comfortably tucked into the shop with the heater on so the JB will cure better.

Nothing I can do till tomorrow.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1395 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:20 PM

That's the kind of luck I've had trying to weld stuff like that. It seems you just can't get all the oil out of the crack and the gas from it just keeps opening up the weld. I've never seen marine JB Weld. Here's to hoping it works.   :beerchug:

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks