UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Didn't buy a Bluetooth I bought a wired headset. I guess I wasn't real clear on that. I sweat so much that I destroy a Bluetooth in a matter of a couple of weeks.

The stereo in the OX has an AUX plug that I can plug the phone into but mic isn't helped by that. The Ox rumbles so much that I need an external mic. Then you start getting into money.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 25, 2013 - 02:27 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1307 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Busy greasy day.

We rested up a bit this morning mostly because it was pretty cool outside this morning and I didn't want to hold cold tools with my arthritic hands.

Then I went for my morning meds

untitled.JPG

Oops wrong one glad I read the labels!!

coffee_prescription_mug.jpg

Once I was properly medicated we all three headed outside to tear the BlueOx apart.

My master mechanic lent a hand.

2013-10-25_12-18-22_849.jpg 2013-10-25_12-19-58_602.jpg 2013-10-25_12-20-18_157.jpg 2013-10-25_12-20-21_349.jpg 2013-10-25_12-20-28_127.jpg

One bolt could only be taken out one click of the ratchet at time. IT took forever. Then after a second cup of coffee I realized that if I took the oil filter off I could get a long extension and swivel on it.

Once I had the old mounts out we hooked the trailer up to Christine and loaded up the nasty Scott's mower and I headed off to get parts and a tractor bath.

Had to air dry the tractor.

2013-10-25_13-17-23_665.jpg

(EDIT:Found my flashlight when I just looked at that pic)

About an hour later I returned home and we spent some time putting the Ox all back together. She even got an oil change.

I tried three times to make a video to sell the Scott's before I got one that was worth it. The first one the tractor wouldn’t start because I didn't choke it. The second one I got it running and then engaged the blades and was played a song by a spastic percussion section. When he loaded it he bent the deck and it was hitting the blades. A minute with a hammer and the third time was a charm.

By the time we picked up all the tools my back was in knots so I came in and sat on my massaging cushion for a while. Steph and Heath went to the store.

At about 5 I decided to take the Scott's out front and chain it to the tree with a for sale sign on it. I had a nice new piece of chain that I picked up somewhere that seemed like it would be perfect for the job. The padlock would not go through the links. So I took it over and put it in the vice and squished the links till they expanded enough to work.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 25, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#1308 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I am nearly crosseyed.

It was a bit chilly this morning so I decided to wait for the frost to burn off before I headed outside – or even got out of bed.

Then

impotrant.jpg

IT was about noon before we finally headed outside. I needed Steph's help and we didn't need Heaths help, so we held off longer going out till Heath took a nap.

There has been a mystery short behind the dash of the BlueOx and it needed a new heater core. After removing elebentymillion screws the cracked and faded dash sagged out of the way. I found that the fan control wires were shorted.

Then the heater core came out, of course the 20 year old plastic heater box broke.

One of the heater hoses was bad too so that had to go, and I had to go to Autozone. $30 later and I was back home with antifreeze, a hose, and clamps. It didn't take long after that to get the core installed.

Then a guy called about the little pumpkin colored Scotts tractor. He was close by and 5 minutes later he was in the yard. He started it up and drove it around then handed me cash. If it didn't sell I was going to put eyes and a mouth on it and make it a mobile jack-o-lantern.

Then we got busy with the wiring. The previous owner had done some stupid wiring under he dash – such as soldering the speakers to the harness. After about two hours of soldering I was a bit cross-eyed and was making stupid mistakes so we quit and came in.

The dash is about 80% installed and all the wiring is done.

Came in an put a lidoderm patch on my sore hand and then got a call Form Jacob that he was coming to get the title on that truck. That prompted a furious search on and around my desk for it.

Ever seen the cartoon “Shoe” well then you have an idea of what my desk looks like.

macnelly2.jpg

We did find it however.

Jacob showed up and got the title.

I have now devoured everything Steph cooked for dinner including the “leftover” macaroni casserole. That may have had something to do with my stupid mistakes. My brain was hungry.

• Craig., IamSherwood, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1309 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have had to give up my caffeine again due to my heart beat is way out of whack again.   Decaf tastes ok, but no substitute for the good stuff.  But at this point, I have to do whatever it takes to get my heart beating normal.  So Willie.....drink a pot of "good stuff" for me tomorrow morning please!

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1310 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Will do

• olcowhand said thank you

#1311 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Willie, don't you know that all vehicle manufactures start with the "Heater Core" and build the vehicle around it. :wallbanging: . I've done a few in my days, and the dash is never the same no matter how I try.

PS. It's raining calf's and mules right now.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1312 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug....

After my morning.

csil.jpg

We got out and put the interior of the BlueOx together then I hopped inside and started it up. Everything was perfect for about 50 feet of my trip up the road. Then a horrible grinding noise came from the transfer case.

I stopped the truck and put it in reverse and the grinding went away. I backed it into the driveway and it was quiet. So I stuck it back in drive and went up the road again. About ¼ mile away it started grinding again. It didn't do it in 4wd just in 2HI. So I stuck it in 4wd and came back home.

The X-fer cast shift linkage adjuster was frozen so I took it off and gave it a healthy dose of PB Blaster and a little heat until it came off then I ran a tap and die over the threads.

While I was doing that my buddy Reid came over. He just wanted to see what I was up to. He always likes to look at my junk pile to see what I have in it, so after about a hour he headed home and I crawled back under the truck..

Nothing seemed to make any difference except holding pressure against the shifter. Even when I took the shift mechanism off the x-fer cast it didn't want to behave.

When I drive it with pressure against the shifter it still shifts hard and clunks. I have a bad feeling that the x-fer case is not well. I will call my buddy at the transmission shop Monday.

Finally Graham came over and saw my 22wmr rifle and wanted to shoot it so we went to his house and annihilated a Barbie jeep with it. Then we fired off a couple of rounds with the 38. Now I have guns to clean.

Anyone have a winning lottery ticket they can mail me.

• CRFarnsworth and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1313 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug....

Anyone have a winning lottery ticket they can mail me.

I have some used lottery tickets for sale cheap.  Only been checked once! :D  :D    Rick

Edited by CRFarnsworth, October 27, 2013 - 06:01 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1314 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Willie, pull the back extension hsg on the case and check the snap ring at the back brg. Depending on the case, they had a tendency to break that ring and let the mainshaft float back and forth. It affects 2WD just ike you are describing.

• olcowhand, sacsr and UncleWillie have said thanks

#1315 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Willie, pull the back extension hsg on the case and check the snap ring at the back brg. Depending on the case, they had a tendency to break that ring and let the mainshaft float back and forth. It affects 2WD just ike you are describing.

Just did a bit of research (oddly enough I found nothing on the 4x4 site I am a member of) and it seems that the rear snap ring is a known failure point. I will look into that in a bit. Right now just struggling to move.

• Craig. said thank you

#1316 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think my grey hairs may have doubled tonight.

This morning I woke up with a monster headache. So I tossed a few Tylenol down with my tribute to Daniel

daniel.jpg

And got online for a bit.

DougT's suggestion got me all excited :dancingbanana: so I ran out the door and snatched the drive-shaft and tail shaft off the truck and to my chagrin I found the snap ring in tact :wallbanging: .

So I put in a call to my transmission guy. Actually I put in about 8 calls before I got him. He said it sounded like it had broken the front shift fork and to bring it to him. So when Steph got home from the store and put Heath to bed we got busy dissecting the truck.not-available.gifnot-available.gif

I found the problem pretty quick. The truck didn't break due to any fault of its own.

I bought the truck off of a 4x4 forum that I have been a member of for several years. One of the had members had bought it and had replaced the rear main oil seal (which is leaking again). He sold it to another guy who in turn sold it to me.

The first time I tried to put it in 4wd the front drive shaft decided to beat the bottom of the transmission into submission. Fortunately it didn't break anything. The one bolt that was left in the front drive shaft flange had not nut on it. :oh_shucks: When I found a new shaft I bought new grade 8 hardware to put in on with.

It turns out that the first guy was not much of a mechanic. Every bolt but one that he had to remove to get the transmission out were loose. I mean I took them out with my fingers. Cross-member (which I didn't notice being loose when I put the mount in it Saturday because it was help in place by a layer of gunk.).

The only thing keeping the x-fer case from filing for a separation from the transmission was the very top bolt on the case. :good_job:

All the bouncing around broke the fork.

So slightly irritated and wanting to go find him and drop the case on his head, we got the thing out and hooked it up to the DragonFly/Mobile crane and set it in Christine’s bed. We tossed in all the old radiators and alternators I had so I could run them by the yard in Charlotte that pays the most for them.

I forgot the place closed at 330. So the trip up and back was a symphony of alternators and starters rolling around and slamming into everything else. Imagine putting 4 bowling balls in an industrial dyer and listen to it for 2 hours. By the time I got home my head was ready to explode.

Greg wasn't in the shop when I got there so I dropped the case off and headed home.

A regular customer called and wanted me to get a small car tonight. So I did the most butt puckering thing I have ever done in my life. I hooked Christine up to the tow dolly and headed out – headache and all.

The car was a Buick Skylark which is a bit heavier than Christine, but it had to be done or I would loose a regular customer.

The one thing I forgot was that there was no trailer plug on Christine. The tow lights were useless. The guy had a battery he let me borrow and I tossed it in and the car had no rear tail lights. We couldn't open the trunk so I had no idea why they didn't work.

Once it was loaded I slowly drove down every back road I knew to get back. About halfway home I had a brilliant idea. Take the back seat out of the car to find out why the lights weren’t working, however, there was no where to stop. I finally found a gas station and pulled over.

Once I had the truck open I saw that there were no bulbs. I opened the hood and if I could have found hum I would have given the engineer that designed the car an atomic wedgie – with a crane. The front bulbs are different.

Fortunately the store had one last pair of them so I stuck the one in the passengers side and it lit up. Stuck it in the drivers side and nothing. I pulled the bulb out and it shattered in my hand. Fortunately my skin was tougher than it was.

So with one hazard light blinking I headed out again. Of course every car that got behind me felt compelled to turn on their high beams and tailgate. Again there was no where to pull over.

I stayed at about 30 MPH so that the Buick didn't get any funny ideas like trying to pass me in a curve.

When I got on my road some idiot in an old pickup got all over the back end of the car and kept revving his engine. I swear I was ready to pump hollow points into his grill. :cowboy_shooter:

When I turned into my driveway he floored it and went roaring off down the hill. My honest hope is that he missed the big curve and ran off in the creek.

The turn into the driveway was a bit more exciting than I was ready for. The Buick was tired of following me and made a run for it. With the truck completely sideways and digging for traction I crab walked across the front yard. Then I drove across the yard and turned around and the Buick tried to run off again so I came back across the yard with the steering wheel turned full lock the opposite direction.

Finally I to back to the driveway and parked. It took a minute to pry the seat cover from between my butt cheeks.

Finally my headache and I came in the house. If a doctor came in and took my blood-pressure right now I bet it would blow the cuff apart.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#1317 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Sounds like a tough day Willie.  Thanks for the caffeine tribute, and the cute coffee cup!  Still have my headache from being off caffeine, but making it through it.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1318 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:46 PM

We all have days like that, Willie---- have another cuppa Java, tomorrow will be better.

#1319 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:38 AM

You do have an interesting way of telling about your day.  I don't think that seat cover will ever be the same again! :bigrofl:

• Craig. and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1320 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Not much to report the last couple of days. I managed to pull a groin muscle so I am in a lot of pain when I move. At least I think that is what I have done. Either that or an alien life form is eating my pelvis from the inside. So the hat is out of commission.

No word on the Transfer case yet.

Buick went to the crusher yesterday. Took lots of back roads getting it there behind Christine.

• olcowhand, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks