4297 replies to this topic

#1276 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Olcowhand, that's the only issue I've ever had with my 351, it's typically the upper intake gasket that goes (the one under that goofy looking, curved upper plenum) as long as yours is fuel injected that is... It's easy to find with some carb cleaner and pretty easy to change too. I pulled a trailer and loads weighing up to 20k many times with my old dually and 351, glad to here someone else works their's hard as well :D
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1277 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Olcowhand, that's the only issue I've ever had with my 351, it's typically the upper intake gasket that goes (the one under that goofy looking, curved upper plenum) as long as yours is fuel injected that is... It's easy to find with some carb cleaner and pretty easy to change too. I pulled a trailer and loads weighing up to 20k many times with my old dually and 351, glad to here someone else works their's hard as well :D

Yes, fuel injected.  I need to try carb spray tomorrow to verify.  I know it won't build proper vacuum.  Heater/AC vents go back to defrost if I give the throttle much at all.  Sometimes the cruise control kicks out as well.

#1278 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yes, fuel injected. I need to try carb spray tomorrow to verify. I know it won't build proper vacuum. Heater/AC vents go back to defrost if I give the throttle much at all. Sometimes the cruise control kicks out as well.

That may very well just be a vacuum line or more likely the vacuum canister, it's supposed to hold a reserve to maintain heater controls and such during heavier throttle periods and they frequently start leaking down.

#1279 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I've had both a 300 6 and a 351 Windsor. Both great engines. The 351 had so many miles, it kept loosing rear main seals... But only after I drove it on the weekends (back when I was young and stupid). The 300-6 went with a truck I should've never sold.

#1280 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:06 PM

That may very well just be a vacuum line or more likely the vacuum canister, it's supposed to hold a reserve to maintain heater controls and such during heavier throttle periods and they frequently start leaking down.

Replaced all the vac lines, and I traced every hose, and believe it or not, there was no reserve vac canister!    I added one, and it took care of the problem a little while, then back to same low vacuum issues.  This is a 97 F250HD 4WD.  I've never seen one without a vac canister.

• MH81 said thank you

#1281 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Replaced all the vac lines, and I traced every hose, and believe it or not, there was no reserve vac canister! I added one, and it took care of the problem a little while, then back to same low vacuum issues. This is a 97 F250HD 4WD. I've never seen one without a vac canister.

Neither have I, that's a new one for me and I've owned Ford trucks all my life along with parting out quite a few of them. I made the one for my Bronco out of a short piece of 6" pvc and two caps since the factory one was rotted out. Have you thrown a gauge on the engine to see what it's pulling for vacuum?

#1282 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:06 AM

My last ford car had the vac canister back by the gas tank. They moved it there as part of the emissions.

Sorry Willie. :hijacked: how's your hat?

#1283 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Sorry Willie!  Did ya ever find out about the pregnant lady?

#1284 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Daniel, I just had to fix my Dodge and I ended up having to put in a canister as part of as service bulletin that came out on my truck.  Have you checked the check valves as well?  I had a bad one, I also put the canister on the line that feeds the A/C system.

#1285 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:13 PM

The old hat is hanging kind of low.

It has been a long few days. There has been lots of

Thursday we spent getting all the aluminum loaded up on Christine to take to the smelter. However, the guy who runs it had a problem and I couldn't get it to him. So I spent the rest of the day cleaning stuff up and posting ads online.

Friday I got up at the crack of early and headed off to the smelter. It took a couple of hours to get everything melted down and filling my pocket with cash. We made a mistake of putting a magnesium transfer case in the smelter thinking it was aluminum. It contaminated two ingots so they got tossed in the bed of the truck which we filled up with water to cool them off. If you have never seen a pickup half full of boiling water you have missed out. It is very disconcerting.

Then I came home and hooked up the the little trailer that was full of scrap and headed off to the scrap yard. I showed the manager the ingots and he said there was nothing he could do with them and I had to take them to the main office in Spartanburg.

With more cash in my pocket I headed home.

ON the way I got a call to pick up a Cadillac in Lancaster. I was about $80 short on the price so I was scrambling to figure it out. Fortunately some poor schmuck came by and bought the Ford. I will not reveal his name on here for fear of shaming him.

So about 5 we hooked the tow dolly up to the BlueOx and headed south. On the radio they were listing one wreck after another so we took back roads down although it turned a 1 hour drive into 3. it was better than spending 3 hours in traffic and still having an hour to go.

We stopped at Sonic and went thru the drive thru where we waited for 5 minutes at the speaker to order some food and ordered some popcorn chicken for Heath. When we got our order it wasn't there so I told the guy and he went back inside and got it. We left and about 2 miles down the road Steph checked the receipt and the chicken wasn't on it. We got it free. Since the service was so lousy I didn't feel bad one bit.

Since it was getting dark we stopped at an AutoZone to snag a couple of cheap flashlights. Steph went in and came out smiling like a Cheshire cat. She asked for 2 of the cheapest lights they had and when the gal scanned them they came up as $.01 each. So 2 cents later we were on the road.

It was pitch black outside when we got to the road it house was on and the houses had no street number. We turned a corner and I caught a glint of light off chrome and told Steph it was the Caddy. She didn't believe me till we pulled up the hill and there it sat.

At around 11 we pulled back in our driveway.

At 9 I was up again and headed off to the scrap yard with the Caddy. Then I came home and collected Steph and Heath and we headed back to Lancaster to get a Ford Windturd.

We loaded it up and across the street I spotted a 74? Sears Suburban so I went and took a peek at it. First thing I noticed was it had a chain on the front of it. Then I talked to the guy who owned it and he said it ran perfect and he wanted $200. I asked about the chain. He said he was going to pull it in the barn because it had no battery. I opened the hood and it had no starter. He said that he took it off to put on his other tractor ( I don't believe ti would fit) It had a pulley made for a rope. I asked if he had a piece of rope and he said no. Then I turned the engine over by hand and he got strangely quiet. Something was wrong but I was tired and couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I told him no thanks and left. About halfway home it dawned on me. The engine had no compression. I was spinning it with one finger.

On the way in I got a phone call from the gal who's husband had the wreck in my yard. The baby is great and we were invited to come see her.

I was getting so tired on the way home I was having trouble concentrating, but I made it. I did call and cancel going to Newton to look at a couple of tractors if that tells you how tired I was.

We got home and I was tired and filthy and sore so I got in the bathtub – where I fell asleep. When I got out I tried to get online but I couldn't keep my eyes open so at 630 I was in bed.

At 11 I woke up and ate and watched TV then fell back to sleep till 9. I was a bit tired.

We were supposed to be at the gals house to see the baby at noon so we headed out to the BlueOx and it let me down. She wouldn't start. Apparently the fuel pump shuffled off its mortal coil.

Since it was only short drive down to the gals house we hopped in Christine and headed down.

The baby is named Emery and is tiny. Cute as a button. The( No pictures because Steph and I both forgot our phones. ) dad is in pretty bad shape. He is on a series of antibiotics for his jaw. When he is through with them they are going to wire his jaw shut to get it back where it goes.

At some point yesterday Jeff came and got his dogs. Today he came back to get the dog food he forgot and see if he could get the male dogs chain up. He couldn't so I fired up the DragonFly and used the mobile crane to pull it up.

Then I talked to my neighbor Bob for a while.

Now I am waiting for the guy in Newton to call me back to go up and look at what he has.

• olcowhand, Craig., IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#1286 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Some days are just like that.  Hopefully things will get better.

#1287 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Good news the BlueOx lives. The fuel filter was plugged up. She gets the rest of the day off then she is back to work.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1288 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Long day for the hat.

This morning at the crack of early we rolled out of bed

coffee-t-shirt.jpg

Then we went out and tore the Windturd apart and took it off to the crusher.

I was supposed to pick up an 84 Impala that had no wheels. Since Christine's wheels are the same bolt pattern we pulled the 15 inch tires off it and stuck a set of 14s that came off my old Buick on it, themn strapped the wheels and jack to the tow dolly and made the long trip to Statesville.

We got to the house and the guy came out looking like he was going ot beat me with a stick. The guy had told me on the phone that the car was complete and had a factory exhaust – it had tires, but they needed an adapter to put them on. When I got there I looked at it and the carb was missing ( a high dollar part to resale) and it had an after market cat on it – worthless.

SO I told the guy I would give him less and he got even madder. So we left and went to JR Cigar. I bought some more stock for my humidor and got a new hat. A black one this time instead of brown. It will be a dress hat .

Then we drove to Vale to get a 2000 Impala. When we got there we realized he was a repeat customer. I love it when I get repeats, it means I did something right before. We stood there and talked to the wife for a while after we had the car loaded. While we talked the husband came home. He had a generator that he wanted to sell and I took a look at it. I didn't have enough cash to take it home so I said I would come back later. It need a governor rod.

He had a dozer blade leaning up against a pile of junk and I asked him about it. He said it was for sale so I went over and looked at it. It is, I believe, a WheelHorse blade. For $45 we tossed it on the roof of the Impala and strapped it down.

2013-10-21_16-50-09_361.jpg

I will make mounts to put it on the DragonFly.

One stop at the grocery store and we were home. Heath went down for his first nap of the day and we got busy tearing the Imp down.

About halfway through that my body said' “Slow down!” Finally we got it all apart and I came in to sit a while.

Tomorrow morning the Imp goes to the crusher and I have to go down to Pageland to get a Jeep.

• olcowhand, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#1289 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I confess. t'was me who bought the f150. I thought it was a piece of crap, and it is, but the more time i spend around it the more I like it. I think if I was gonna put it on the road again it would need,

The diver side rear leaf spring mounts un-ghettofied

A new steering column 

A new steering box (maybe)

New front wheel bearings and/or ball joints

The rear brake lines reconnected 

And a new seat

I'm on the fence about whether I should try to fix it or not. Willie when do you want me to come get the title? And any luck on getting in touch with the old owner? Shoot me a text.

Oh yeah and thanks for the smokin deal you gave me on it  :D   

#1290 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:38 PM

:rolling:

2 flashlights, for $.02. LOL

That checkout girl's bulb seems a bit dim.

Or, she just doesn't care.