Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 4 votes

The Adventures Of My New Hat

  • Please log in to reply
5488 replies to this topic

#1246 Craig. OFFLINE  


    Ronald Craig

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 1842
  • 1,114 Thanks
  • 914 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:04 PM

I laughed so hard at you & cat I had to shut down my crane lol
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#1247 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Much nicer weather now. I barely even broke out in a sweat.


After crawling to the kitchen, because



We all headed outside to get to get to work. We loaded the last of the trash up in the little trailer attached to Christine then we all left. Steph had Heath in Christine and I was along in the BlueOx.


First order of business was to go to the scrap yard and get rid of the Cadiwack. With that done we headed to the dump to unload Christine.


That done I headed home while Steph and Heath went to the store. I figured I had the rest of the afternoon to tinker till Steph left for class. Nope.


I went out in the shop and got the liner actuators I got in a load of scrap last week and brought them in where I could try to find some information based on the serial numbers. After searching and scratching off a layer of paint I found the number Warner electric DM12-10A5-18. A little research came up with them as a 500 pound lift 12v actuator. When Steph got home she went out and snagged a good battery and we hooked them up and they both work.. They are no longer made but a comparable one is about $425 new. I figure they were a great deal at free.


At 2 I got a phone call from a guy who wanted me to pick up his Lebaron convertible in Hickory.


Steph had class in Hiclory at 530 so she pulled Christine up on the tow dolly and we headed off. One stop for gas for the Ox and 3 BBQ sandwiches from the truck in the gas station parking lot and we were off.


That BBQ is some of the best I have ever had. And they don't skimp on the meat. We pulled enough extra meat off the 3 sandwiches we got to make 2 more at home.


Once we got to the house in Hickory and swapped the Lebaron for Christine on the dolly we headed to Sams. For some reason the one in Hickory has better prices on some stuff.


After leaving Sam's, Steph wanted to take Heath into class to show him off. Since Northern Tool shares a parking lot with the school I was all for it. I ran in Northern to grab a couple of things then snagged Heath and he and I headed home.


He was getting tired of riding by the time we got back close to the house (and he only had a 20 minute nap) so I was being silly keeping him happy. At a stop light I was dancing around in my seat and making him laugh. The woman int eh car next to me was looking at me like I was possessed. I kept waiting for Tom Selleck's voice to say “anyone can be a father – it takes someone special to be a dad” while I sat there.


Finally, we got home and I unloaded Heath and the groceries from the truck then I sat down for a beer and to watch the episode of NCIS I missed last night. Heath is busy pushing his dump truck around the house chasing the cats.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 09, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1248 KennyP ONLINE  



  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,039 Thanks
  • 46,732 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:24 AM

Nice actuators you got there.

#1249 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 10, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Kenny I have plans to make the mobile crane MK2 soon.

  • KennyP said thank you

#1250 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:12 PM

The hat is tired.



Last night I had the weirdest dream. My slave, Justin, was living with us. We woke up in the middle of the night and Justin, all my guns, the dogs, chickens, and trucks were gone. The next morning Justin came back and I was out in the yard in my bathrobe with a baseball bat. He was trying to tell me that one of his old friends had come over and had put some kind of drugs in his Sundrop and once he was high they got him to do more drugs then they decided to rob me. Once he sobered up he realized what he had done and was bringing my stuff back. He was holding my pistol by the barrel trying to give it to me while I swung the bat at him.


Maybe watching Cujo before bed wasn't such a good ideal. LOL



Any how my mom put this on my FB page this morning.



After a good laugh I clamped my hat on my head and went out to start taking the Lebaron apart. In the back seat we found a brand new convertible top for it. The top that was on it was made of duct tape.


While we were working a FedEx truck pulled in with a huge box. I was confused as to what it could be/. It was the knife that I had sent to Gerber to be repaired. The box was all paper.


After getting the car all torn apart I came in to list the top on CL while Steph went to get her truck inspected.


She called me and told me that the shop couldn't get her in till 330 so she was headed home. My internet was being super slow and it took forever to get the pictures loaded.


At 330 I was still waiting for the download to finish so she took Heath and left again.


Finally all my pictures loaded and I left for the scrap yard.


Then I headed home to wait for her to get back to I could take Christine up to Taylorsville to pick up a load of scrap.


Graham came over to ask me about going to his work on Saturday to get a tree that the manager wanted gone. While he was over Steph came home and the little trailer got hooked up to Christine and I headed out.


I was supposed to be there at 5 and I was a little late because Steph also had to go to the DMV and get new tags. I texted the guy and told him that I would be there at 6. At about about 6 he called and said that he forgot he had to got o a funeral and it would be closer to 8.


So I had time to kill. Fortunately there is a nice cigar shop in Hickory so I stopped in and sat a while and smoked a stogie and had some coffee.


At 730 I left the shop and headed north to his house. It was pitch black by the time I got there and his house had no number so I got to turn around a couple of times to figure out which one was his. I pulled in the driveway just as he got out of his car.


Fortunately he had a Kubota SCUT with a front end loader so it was a breeze to get on the truck.


We got loaded up and I headed back.


About a mile away from his house I realized that I had lef t a Mustang hood standing up against the tailgate (it was really dark) of the trailer and it was slowly walking off the trailer. I pulled into a gas station and got out. As I got to the hood I noticed that the truck was rolling so I ran up and stuck it back in gear. A woman at the pumps was staring at me. I told her the truck was going to go home with or without me. She started laughing so hard I am surprised she could pump her gas.


At 9 I pulled into my driveway.


While I was playing with Heath a piece of glass out of a picture frame fell off the TV and shattered in a bizillion pieces. So Heath went to bed immediately and then the glass got cleaned up.


Finally I get to eat supper.




  • olcowhand, Craig., IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#1251 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Oh can you hear the impact running.



Bright and early this morning Steph got up and headed off to court for the ticket she got. (Expired plate and doing 72 in a 55 YIKES!)


Heath was nice enough to sleep in till 930 so I actually got some rest. Then it was on





He woke up an took off across the house like a drunken monkey and I sat at my desk and tried to pry my eyelids open.


When Steph came back at 1100 she told me the good news. She has to pay a $220 fine. SOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we got outside and got to work.


While I was getting ready to go out one o the kittens knocked my coffee over into the keyboard. I immediately unplugged it, turned it upside down on a towel, and went outside.


First we loaded up all the aluminum rims with tires on them and I took them down to the tire shop. While I was gone our neighbor, Bob, came over and gave us some fresh caught trout. Yummmm.


The pile of mower engines that I was working on then my grinder tied to remove my thumb had to be taken apart. We got going on that while heath charged around the yard trying to find things to get into. I gave him a valve out of one of the engines and he though it was the greatest thing on earth to beat on stuff with.


At about 330 he kept trying to get back in the house so Steph brought him in for a nap.


While she was inside the folks who are keeping their dogs here came by to feed them. They now have a house and should be coming to get the dogs by Wednesday.


At 545 my back was tired of sitting on the stool and my arms were aching from swinging the big hammer so we tucked the tools back under the carport and came in to wash off about 300 pounds of grease.


At 630 Heath woke up – little guy must have been worn out.


I took the keyboard apart and dried it out. No joy. It wont work. Evidently my coffee is toxic to keyboards. Steph poured sweat tea in it a month or so ago and after cleaning and drying it out it worked perfect. Oh well I will get another $13 keyboard tomorrow. Right now I have the nasty one off the shop computer in here. It didn't look so dirty out in the shop.


She just brought me a plate of trout and potatoes. I am in heaven. I may even forgive her for speeding.

  • olcowhand, Craig., IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#1252 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 12, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Busy day off.



This morning at 9 my alarm went off. I turned it off and played with my phone for a while then I finally





About the time my coffee was done my other son, Graham, was knocking at my door wanting to know if I was ready to go to Charlotte to get a tree. I wasn't and told him to give me a hour.


When he came back we left to go tree hunting. His work had cut down a huge cottonwood tree and told him he could have it for firewood. So a quick drive up and we backed up to the loading dock at the hotel.


What he didn't tell me was the pieces were monstrous. The tree was about 3 feet in diameter and they dropped it down in a creek. The pieces that were up n the bank were huge too. We got a couple of the 2 foot tall trunk pieces loaded and then tried to cut up some others. His Chainsaw was dull. So we manhandled a couple of more pieces up on the trailer.


One piece was about 10 inches in diameter and 6 feet long. I told him to stand it up on end and I squatted beside it and laid it over on my shoulder, stood up and walked off with it. The hotel employees that were watching stood with their mouths hanging open. It was probably 250 pounds.


When we got all we could get without a chainsaw we headed up to Indian Trail to buy a couple of cameras from a guy. I wanted some cheap ones I could destroy and not worry about. They will wind up zip tied to the front of cars that we murder.


On the way we stopped at my buddy's cigar shop. It was then that I realized I didn’t have my wallet. Graham got paid yesterday so his bank amount was full.


We left the shop and stopped an an ATM for him to get some cash and then went up and got the cameras. Traffic was terrible. I forgot that there was a race tonight and all of the non race traffic was diverting down 74. It was a jungle.



Finally we headed home to unload the trees at Grahams house. My pistol needs cleaning tonight anyway so we got in a little target practice. And I came home.


As I got here Steph was leaving and I told her to bring back money to pay Graham.


After she came back and Graham got paid I went out and rearranged the trucks and trailers where I can tear more engines apart tomorrow and toss the scrap steel on the trailer in a bathtub I got for scrap the other night.


Now it is time for my first beer.


Great time of day.

  • Craig., HDWildBill and chevyaddict83 have said thanks

#1253 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Short day today.


Last night we went over to Grahams house for dinner. The combination of sitting in Christine all the day before and sitting in his uncomfortable chair for dinner irritated my back. I left shortly after eating and came home to sit on my massaging cushion.


With my back in knots I couldn't sleep, so it was about 2am before I dozed off. When my alarm went off at 9 I punched it as hard as I could and rolled back over. At 10 I finally dragged myself to the kitchen.




After coffee and checking my emails I got dressed and started out the door. Tragedy struck – I left my hat at Grahams house. Horror of all horrors, I contemplated going outside bare headed. Then I pulled the old hat out of retirement and headed outside.


Steph had left to run some errands, so I had the whole yard to myself as I took apart more mower engines.


When Steph came home she turned Heath loose to terrorize the cats and chickens.


She moved some more engines over to my work area then got to hunting for some crickets for the critters in the terrarium.


Finally we put my tools under the carport and I watched Heath play for a bit. I am constantly amazed that a friend ,who has a child that is one month younger than Heath, complains that he gets bored. Heath was climbing over stuff, throwing stuff around, and chasing animals. I really don’t see how any child this age could get bored unless they are “over mommied” and have no clue how to entertain themselves.


Finally, Heath and I came in, and Steph put the dogs back in the pen and headed off to class.


About 30 minutes ago Graham came home from work and bought my hat back. It was like welcoming an old friend home.


Now it is Daddy day for Heath. He is currently driving his trucks over the cat. She doesn't care one bit.

  • Craig., KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#1254 olcowhand OFFLINE  


    Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,307 Thanks
  • 31,772 posts
  • Location: South Central Kentucky

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:36 PM

 The combination of sitting in Christine all the day before and sitting in his uncomfortable chair for dinner irritated my back. I left shortly after eating and came home to sit on my massaging cushion.


With my back in knots I couldn't sleep 


Hmmm....ya don't reckon carrying trees had anything to do with it?  :poke:    :rolling: 

  • IamSherwood said thank you

#1255 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:42 PM

No I can lift all day long it is twisting and sitting in an uncomfortable position that kills me. I was fine till I sat in his chair that has no back support.

#1256 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have given up on making plans.
Today I had several things I was going to do. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
This morning while I was
Steph and Heath loaded up in Christine and headed up to Charlotte to sell some catalytic converters. My plan was to take the little trailer to the scrap yard to unload it then reload it with aluminum to take it to the smelter.
Fortunately I called the smelter first. He was not home and won't be home for a couple of days. So I started taking engines apart again. I had one cigar left so I lit it up.
Well the cigar was so tightly packed it wouldn't draw. It would barely light. It went in the trash. Then my phone started ringing off the hook. Or whatever you call it when a cell rings incessantly. In between phone calls I managed to take a couple of engines apart.
Steph came home and started helping me. Heath ran around the yard eating grass.
Then I got a call from a guy who needed me to come immediately to come get a Ford Ranger. So I abandoned my engine disassemble and hooked the tow dolly up to the BlueOx and headed out.
Heath was due for a nap and Steph had some stuff to do so I was on my own.
A quick trip to Huntersville and I started hooking up the Ranger. While tightening the passengers side tire strap the weld on the winch broke. The brace bent and the winch folded up. However it held tight. I checked it several times on the way home
I stopped at the gas station by the house to put some gogo juice in the truck so I didn't have to push it.
Then I pulled out and the ramps on the dolly were dragging terribly. I have no idea what exactly happened but I did manage to make it the last mile home very slowly.
I called my welder to see if he could weld up the dolly and he said he couldn't because his wife was gone to work and he was baby sitting.
When I got home we poured the last bit of gas in the cans in the Ranger and jump started it. It ran badly but it ran and drove off the dolly.
I managed to straighten and bolt the winch back on where it will hold until I can get it properly welded. I will be using a ratchet strap as extra insurance until it is done.
Then Graham saw the Ranger and asked it I was going to tear it up. He wanted to go play.
So when the dolly was fixed I pulled the Ranger over in his yard and we got busy playing.
This little truck has something bad wrong with the suspension and it bounces all over the place. We had it up on 2 wheels more than once. Steph thought we were going to roll it at one point.
After I drove a while I let Graham take over and he had a blast. Then he somehow managed to snag my airline and snap it off and drag it down in the field. Steph stopped up and we had to go down and find the hose. We dragged 150 feet of hose through the trees and down in the field till it got wrapped around an old hay wagon and came off the truck. Tough hose.
I got out and shot some video of Graham. His second pass around the wagon he popped a tire off the rim, but I got him up on 2 wheels on video. We re-inflated the tire but the truck ran out out of gas.

Steph cooked stir fry for dinner. Tomorrow Graham and I will get some gas and really have some fun. Maybe.
  • olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#1257 larrybl OFFLINE  


    Texas Member

  • Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,244 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts
  • Location: Central Texas

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:47 PM

You know.... I could use the vehicles you trash here.... If they run that well in your back yard, I'm sure they would do well on the flat hi-ways here.

  • Craig. said thank you

#1258 UncleWillie OFFLINE  


    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,094 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:21 AM

Larry if they are resell-able I sell them. That one has no title. And the suspension is messed up.

OK more fun stuff tonight.

Addendum to tonight's activities.

As I was sitting here drinking my first beer after Heath had gone to bed, there was a terrible crash outside. It I had no idea what it was, but I grabbed my flashlight and ran outside. With just my shorts on.

In my ditch there was a red 2000ish Chevy Cavalier in pretty bad shape. Just dowwn the road a short distance was a red Mustang in the grass that appeared to be perfect. A guy in a camoflauge shirt was running up the road and a skinny girl was standing on the road crying. Immediately I checked the driver of the Cavalier. He was dazed from the airbag hitting him and had evidently lost consciousness before I got out there.

In the back seat was a small child in a car seat that was screaming. Since the drivers door was destroyed I managed to manhandle the passengers side open and got to the child. I took him out car seat and all and handed him to Graham (who had come out almost as quickly as I had) and told him not to take the child out of the seat.

Then I heard the kid in the camo shirt say,” I rolled”. I knew the mustang had not rolled so I was confused. I shined my light down the trail of debris and a bout 100 yards down the road was a Green foreign (Never looked close enough to get the model I was a bit busy) pickup that was smashed badly. The camo guy was the only one in the truck and he seemed to be fine. (The Mustang was driven by camo guys girlfriend who was in front of him when the accident occurred. )

I sent Steph back in for the spare batteries to my flashlight and my shoes and I kept talking to the driver.

At first I thought he had been drunk, but the more time passed the more lucid he became.

All of the neighbors were outside on their phones with 911. I was trying to get Steph, who was also on with 911, to get me a shirt and she was ignoring me. I finally told her that there were enough people calling it in and to hang up.

The kid calmed down and finally a bizillion emergency vehicles rolled up.

The kid was screaming for his mommy.

I had to herd all the people out of the road so emergency crews could come down the road.

I was trying to find out who to contract about the boy but the guy was giving all kinds of conflicting addresses in his confused state.

After they cut the guy out of the car he managed to give me the address and everyone’s names and I hopped in the BlueOx and headed off across everyone’s yards to get to the road to go get the wife.

I pulled in the yard and this skinny woman came out and I asked her if she was Heather and then told her there had been an accident. She spazzed. She hyperventilated. She ran around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I told her I would take her to the accident since that was their only car. She ran in her house and stayed there.

A couple of people from the trailer park came out and several of them recognized my truck and knew who I was. Finally she came out and we went back.

Oh I forgot to mention she was pregnant. And smoking. And due yesterday.

I thought she was going to go into labor in my truck.

Another trip across everyone’s lawns and I let her out. She ran all over. No one could corral her or calm her down. All the widow lady were all over her trying to help.

After she saw that her son and husband were ok she got back in my truck. And then really fell apart. My truck became a triage center. EMTs and firemen were swarming around her.

I went over to their car to try to find their telephone and one of the firemen yelled at me to get away from the car. I told him it was in my yard and I would do what I damn well pleased. He said I was going to get hurt. I told him it was my yard. He snapped back that it was his scent. I told him to pay the house payment then. He glared, I laughed and kept looking. One of the other firemen found it under the drivers seat. Steph told the first guy that I was "unhurtable".

Finally everyone was packed up in their respective Ambulances and carted off. Several of the firemen came over to thank me for helping. The one guy apologized. One of the troopers told him that I work with scrap and wrecked cars daily.

The troopers said that the cavalier was headed up the hiss and the pickup was oncoming and crossed left of center went up over the Cavalier and rolled. The Cav spun backwards into my ditch, narrowly missing the windmill.

It was an interesting night. Too many strobe light evening get togethers happening lately.

Attached Thumbnails

  • 2013-10-15_23-10-10_733.jpg
  • 2013-10-15_22-51-15_520.jpg
  • 2013-10-15_22-52-28_119.jpg
  • 2013-10-15_22-53-08_628.jpg

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 16, 2013 - 12:28 AM.

  • IamSherwood, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1259 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,283 Thanks
  • 5,019 posts
  • Location: Rivers End, Saskatchewan

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:52 AM

I dunno Willie, but I think I'll just stay in my quiet little backwoods valley--- you get way too much off road company for me! Anyone who finds our place is either lost or looking for us, and most of the ones looking for us can't find the place the first couple of times and bother the folks five miles away first. That being said, I'll get to the point--- you did a fine job helping those folks out and are a wonderful neighbour.

#1260 IamSherwood OFFLINE  


    Elf guardian

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,395 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts
  • Location: Northern Ontario

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:57 AM

Wow, that was an exciting evening!!

Good of you to get involved, and help sort things out.