UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 01:26 PM

As promised here is the video. WHen I went to bed at 3am it was still uploading. Several people I have talked to have said that utube has had a problem with slow uploads so I don't feel all that bad.

• olcowhand, Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#1202 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 02:22 PM

It is off a case 220

#1203 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Kids will do things you never thought possible. I have to lock up all the 4 wheeler and tractor keys because she sneaks out in the garage and starts them up!

Everything has to be under a well attached lock and a well hidden key.

If its quiet that means trouble
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#1204 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Much cooler today. Enjoyable.

When my eyes popped open this morning I was actually refreshed. I slept like a dead man. However I still needed....

morninghoney.JPG

Then the phone rang. A friend needed a mower deck. I got her model number and looked it up and thought my chances of having it were slim. I told her I didn't have one and she asked what I would pay for a Ford Crown Vic. She liked my price so I told her I would be up shortly

Then Graham called and needed to borrow my battery charger. He came over to get it and we decided to just take the BlueOx over to jump it off. While we were doing that I noticed that 2 of his tires were flat so I told him to drive it over and we would air them up.

With Grant off to mow his grass we saddled up in the BlueOx and went to get the Vic.

About 2 miles up highway 150 there was some kind of wreck, but we were able to take a backroad and get around it only to find another bad wreck on Highway 73. A Toyota pickup pulled out of a gas station in front of a Chevy Suburban. Both were messed up pretty bad. An 18 wheeler barely stopped in time to keep from adding to the carnage.

Finally we got to Kim's and loaded up the Vic then headed home. Fortunately the wrecks were all cleared up by then.

fcv.jpg

I shot a video of the Vic in hopes of selling it and not having to crush it.

My yard is starting to look like a car lot.

2013-09-13_19-46-13_974.jpg

Then we hooked the big trailer up to the BlueOx started to load up the junk tractor frames. With that loaded I fixed the sideboards on it so we can go up to get some misc scrap tomorrow.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1205 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sold the Vic

• olcowhand, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1206 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 10:47 PM

T is for tired – of which I am very much.

This morning, after 4 ½ hours of sleep, the alarm went off. I promptly pushed the snooze button. When it went off again I pushed it again, then the cat climbed on my head. So I woke up and laid there for a minute listening to the cat purr on my cranium.

Then I heard something metallic crash outside. Then Christine started up. I looked out the window and Steph was leaving. We had talked about her taking catalytic converters to sell last night. She decided to get an early start.

Finally I had to drag my decrepit corpse out of bed and

zombie_coffee.jpg

Then I grabbed Heath and we hopped in the BlueOx to get started.

First we stopped at the tire shop to pick up all my wheels. It is probably a good thing I hit the snooze button because he was just getting there when I pulled in at 9.

Next stop was the scrap yard where I left behind all the MTD carcasses and steel rims and a few other things.

With my handfull of cash I headed out.

Had to stop for gas and since we were out of milk I grabbed a quart at the gas station. Last thing I wanted was to go to a grocery store on Saturday morning.

I got a dozen calls and texts about the Crown Vic. Then Pam called. Her new Honda Odyssey wouldn't start and got left in a church parking lot last night. I told her I didn't know if I could get there today but I would try.

Steph beat me home which was a little surprising.

At 11:00 we left again to go get a popup camper and some other misc junk. This was the same place I got all the tractors a few months back. This time I came away with several boxes of gaskets, gas caps, carb parts and other interesting items.

I had left the ramps at home because I forgot he said there was a popup camper. I remember the satellite dish and the misc steel but that damn camper slipped my mind.

While we wrestled with the camper my phone rung endlessly. Everyone wanted to come look at the car. I told them to call me back in an hour and see if I was headed home yet.

We pulled the camper as far up on the trailer as it would go. When it hit the flat tires on the camper it would go no further. Finally, after putting a cement block under the trailer jack and jacking it as high as it would go, I got a bumper jack and a chain and lifted one side of the camper up at a time and put the flat tires up on blocks. Once both sides were up it was a simple as pulling it up with the BlueOx and strapping it down.

Once we got all the other stuff loaded up and strapped down we headed home. I figured I could go look at Pam's van and be home at a descent time. HA!

2013-09-14_17-49-36_468.jpg

As we left with the load a guy texted me about the CV so Steph sent him the address.

We got home and I collapsed into a chair hoping I could catch my breath.

Nope about 10 minutes later they guy pulled in to look at the car. When he called me the first time and I told him to call back he started heading this way from an hour away. Good thing I didn't sell the car before he got there.

We jump started the car with the battery he brought in it and it ran fine. After a test drive he said he would go to an ATM and get the cash. We agreed on $600.

He called from Wal-Mart and said that the ATM would only give him $500 would I take that. I said no. He decided to buy something and get cash back.

After signing the bill of sale and filling my pockets with green papers he got ready to leave. The CV would not start. It wouldn't even jump start. I searched around and found a much smaller battery that had the terminals on the wrong side and managed to lay it over sideways and get it hooked it up. Car fired right up.

Then I carefully swapped his dead battery back in. He left happy with his new car.

Steph, Heath, and I loaded up and went to Pam's house to get her keys. We took the tow dolly with us incase the van would not start. About 2 months ago the van did the same thing (everything worked but the starter wouldn't engage) and it turned out to be that the battery terminals didn't fit right on the battery. So I stopped at AutoZone to grab some new terminals.

I made the mistake of telling Steph that I would like to snag one more car this weekend so we could make a nice deposit Monday morning.

When I walked in the store my phone rang. It was a regular who had a broken car in someones driveway and it had to go tonight. I told her I would get there as soon as I could.

We got to Pam's house an got her keys then ran up to Lattimore. After changing the terminals it still wouldn't start. I pulled on the ground cable and it started. We took it back to Pam and told her that I would come get it this week and clean the ground.

Then we headed to Huntersville to get the car. After a 2 hour drive and one stop at Chick-fil-a for food, we arrived. In short order we were loaded up and headed home.

One stop for beer – cause – you know- it's beer – and we were finally home.

2013-09-14_22-48-52_222.jpg

Yes it was that dark when we got home at 11pm

Jared called and he is doing good. He is liking school and taking an architecture class. He is also going swimming every day so I guess AZ does have its perks.

Steph put Heath in bed and he cried for .04 seconds and was out like a light.

Now it is time for a beer, a shower, and bed – in that order.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1207 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Not a bad few days.

Ater the busy day saturday I did nothing on Sunday. I was supposed to go mow a couple of yards, but I was too tired.

Monday we took the Ford Taurus apart and found that the PO had cut the catalytic converters off. That is what I get for going to get a car int eh dark with no flashlight. I dropped the Knife Jared bought me for Fathers day and chipped the blade. I will send it back for a warranty replacement. Oh well. After that it clouded up and looked like rain so we came in. Steph had class at 5 so I played with Heath.

So this morning when the alarm went off I hit snooze and laid there a while longer. Finally I had to drag myself to the kitchen to

Coffee_addict_by_MacGreen.jpg

Then I checked some stuff online and finally stumbled outside to get some stuff done.

First order was to get the Turdus off to scrap.

With that done I came home and moved some stuff around then finally unloaded the Gilson off the trailer and put it in the line with the other tractors.

After a little tinkering around with some stuff I loaded the Hemorhoid on the little trailer dragged it off with Christine to mow some grass.

One of the yards I was supposed to mow I got out of. The gal found a mower deck for her tractor and got it mowed herself, so I was off to mow the body shops yard.

One stop for $85 in gas and I was at the lot.

True to her name the Hemorrhoid had a hissy fit. For some reason it shut off twice while I was mowing. Both times it started up after sitting for a minute. IT tried to die a third time but I managed to keep it running by playing with the choke and finally got the yard mowed.

On the way home I stopped and grabbed some Seafoam and poured it in the tank. Hopefully that will cure what ails it.

Back at home I took a look at the Wagoneer. The starter would not engage so I pulled it out and tried it hooked up straight to a battery. It did nothing. So tomorrow I am taking it down to AutoZone to get it tested there.

Finally I packed up all the tools and came in. After a shower I feel much better. A final cup of coffee for the day with dinner. Tomorrow will be busy if it doesn't rain.

• sacsr said thank you

#1208 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:11 PM

ZZZZZZZZZ

These 4am bedtimes are killing me

Those morning at 8 am the alarm went off. I rolled my eyes in my head and rolled over in the bed. About 10 I fell in the floor and crawled to the kitchen.

12-26-10-scary-gary.png

After spending some quality time trying to wake up I made it outside and started tinkering with the Wagoneer.

My buddy, Tim, had two Ford starters that he loaned me so I ran down and got them and then tried to install one. No go. Even though the starters look almost identical they are not interchangeable.

The nose cone on the Jeep starter is much smaller. The arm that engages the Bendix are also different. The Jeep one mounts to the nose cone, the Ford mounts to the body.

So after taking 2 starters apart and not being able to swap anything I put them all back together.

The Jeep starter would engage if I manually tripped the arm. However, I don't feel like laying under the Jeep to try it out. I called AutoZone and a new starter is $50. Small price to pay to get it running.

When I took the starters back to Time he was home so we had a nice long talk. His stepfather passed away suddenly on Saturday morning. They didn't have a very good relationship so he isn't sure how he feels.

'

As I left Tim’s house I saw his son, Timmy Dale, pulling in so I drove over to say hello and see if there was anything I could do for them.

Just about dark I made it back home and came into eat pork chops and macaroni and cheese.

My eyes are drooping so bedtime may be early tonight.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#1209 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:41 AM

I have no idea how you operate on so little sleep.  If I don't get to bed at 10 or 11 for my 6am wake up call I can't function!

7 or 8 hours of sleep or I am dead. 

#1210 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Now you know why I drink so much coffee. I will go for a week or two then I crash and sleep for about 18 hours straight.

Not a bad day today.

last night I was so tired at 10pm I couldn't keep my eyes open. So I went to bed. At 11 I was asleep. At 3am I was wide awake. I laid in bed and finally fell asleep again at 7 and slept for a couple of hours.

Then it was time to

drink-coffee-do-stupid-things-faster.jpg

I got a call from a regular customer that had a Ford Exploder to scrap so after I had enough blood in my caffeine system to function we headed out and hooked up the tow dolly to the BlueOx and went to Iron Station. It didn't take long to get the Exploder loaded up and head back toward the house.

One we got there the real work began.

I have needed to clean the steel out  of the burn pile for a long time and since I had the empty SUV on the tow dolly we started to load it up. I fired up the DragonFly and grabbed a chain to pull the buried pieces out of the pile. The scrape blade on the back of it was nice to shove the long pieces under to bent them to get them in the Exploder.

While we were pulling stuff out we found a huge ground hog hole in the burn pile. He is about to get in home heating in a week or so.

After we got everything stuffed in it that we could we headed back up the hill.

I still have not got the pop up camper that we got last week hauled off because it has to be take apart and get all of the non metal stuff out of it - books, boxes, speakers, a box of candles, misc small engine parts, and the stuff the factory put in it.

We pulled as much stuff out as we could reach without crawling inside the nasty thing. I will yank it off the trailer down in the field and pull the top off of it so we can get inside it.

Finally, we pulled the Exploder apart and got it ready to go to the crusher tomorrow.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1211 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Monday again.

This morning Steph had a dentist appointment so it was just Heath and I holding down the fort.

After changing his diaper I went to the kitchen...

coffeelove.jpg

Then he and I watched car videos for a while.

Then I moved my foot under my desk and stepped in a cat turd. So all the kittens have been banished to the outdoors. I believe they are as brain damaged as their mother was.

After spending some quality time cleaning up kitten poop it was time for Heath to take a nap. About 20 minutes after he went down Steph came home.

I got dressed and went out to get the Dodge Neon we got yesterday ready to go to scrap.

I told the guy before we went up there that I was bringing a tow dolly to get it. He said it was ready for a dolly. So we headed on up. I pushed the car backwards about 4 feet and the left rear tire turned 45 degrees. I looked under the car and the genius had taken the bolt that held the rear trailing arms on and put a zip tie on it.

He was smart enough to have left before I got there so I was dealing with his dad. He hunted around and found a 3 foot long piece of ½ inch threaded rod and a couple of nuts. With that in place it came home just fine.

I wasn't letting that threaded rod go to the scrap yard so I had to find something today to replace it with. I hunted around a while and found a weird looking bent bolt to put in it. Then I got everything else ready to to to scrap.

Then I tackled the tire that went flat on the tow dolly a week ago. The tire wasn't damaged.  I pulled it off the rim and cleaned the rim  ith a wire wheel then put it back on and put a little silicone on the rim to get it to seal better thinking that was the problem. Then I found out that it had a bad valve stem.

With that done I turned my attention to the Jeep. I picked up a new starter for it Saturday so I stuck it in and nothing. I hooked jumper cables directly up to it and nothing. I pulled it out and hooked it directly to a battery and nothing. So I carried it back to AutoZone and they put it on the tester. It worked perfect. I said forget it and got my money back. If the Jeep sells they new owner can worry about it.

So I came in the house and played with Heath while Steph took a nap. Heath came in my office with a toy bucket on his head, a toilet paper tube on his arm, a pacifier in his mouth backwards (he thinks they are fun to chew on) and put on his moms shoes. He saw me getting the camera and ran off. When Steph woke up she had to leave for class.

I made sloppy joes for dinner. Heath ate a big bowl of it so I must have done good.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, September 23, 2013 - 06:07 PM.

• KennyP, sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1212 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Try as I might I could not get to sleep last night. Finally, at 430am, my eyes closed. I had my alarm set for 9. I never even heard it. At 1130 the phone started ringing. I was supposed to meet a guy at 11.

So I rolled out of bed and into my clothes while Steph tried to

makecoffee.jpg

Then I climbed in Christine and headed north. Fortunately it was only about 10 miles. More fortunately it is a friend who knows that I can't sleep at night so he understood.

Got to his shop and gave him $100 for his upright freezer, loaded it on Christine, and headed home.

ON the way back I got a call from a finance company in Newton, NC. They had a 90 Cadillac that needed to be repoed, but their guy wouldn't pick up any cars older than a 2000. They offered me the job. I told her that I was driving and I would call her when I got home.

Steph was ecstatic when I got home. It is small enough that it went right in the kitchen. Short enough that the microwave can go on top of it and free up a lot of our already meager counter space. She has spent most of the time we have been home since it came in rearranging things in the kitchen. She loves to cook so I don't mind buying her kitchen things. She has wanted a freezer for a couple of years.

freezer.jpg

I told her that we would take 30 minutes for me to get more coffee in my system then we had to leave.

I called the finance company and got the details for the Caddy. Great thing is that I picked it up and don't have to pay them till tomorrow after I crush it.

Also during that 30 minutes a neighbor, Dan, came by looking for some tires for his trailer. A short look around the shop and we found a set.

Steph came out with Heath and Dan asked it that was our kid. He didn't even know that she had been pregnant. I know I have talked to him in the past two years but I guess he hasn't seen Heath.

After Dan left we loaded up in the BlueOx and headed off to the scrap yard to crush the Neon.

We had a discussion with the manager of the yard about a problem we had there this weekend. I won't go into a lot of details but an employee blew something out of proportion and took it upon himself to attempt to “discipline” me. I told him to get out of my face – politely, but clearly. The manager agreed that I was right. When I left he was having a discussion with the employee.

Then we headed up to Hickory.

First I stopped at Harbor freight to grab a cheap pair of magnetic tow lights since I forgot mine. Then we headed up to get the Caddy. I wasn't sure what to expect when we got there, but the car was sitting out in the road. I went up to the door and knocked and got no answer so we prepared to pull the steering wheel off to unlock the column because I can sell those Saginaw tilt columns.

Steph was getting tools out of the back of the truck while I was getting ready to pull the wheel. A beat up Honda pulled up and a woman started saying something. I couldn't hear her so I slowly slid one hand down to my pistol while I stepped out of the car.

IT was the lady that had bought the car. She was very glad that we were there to get it. She had her son go in the house and get us the keys and kept asking if we needed anything from her. It was kinda funny.

With the keys in hand I started the junker up and drove it up on the dolly. We strapped it down and I grabbed my brand new tow lights. The left one didn't work.

On the way back to HF we stopped by a cigar shop that had just opened. I will be going back it is nice.

So we headed back to HF and exchanged them for a working set then went to Academy sports and looked for some food for my Marlin. They had none.

So I told Steph that I would buy dinner and she said Hooters. When we walked in the door the one very beautiful and well built waitress that had Jared so flustered when he went immediately asked where he was. I will have to tell him when I talk to him again.

I had a Baja burger, Steph had a Quesadilla , Heath had both. Then we had chocolate moose cake for dessert.

Now I am at home watching NCIS.

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#1213 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Getting into repo work Willie? That sounds interesting. Why did the financier have you scrap the caddy? Id've thought they would want it returned safe and sound. 

#1214 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 01:04 AM

Caddy is a pile. I paid them slightly less than what was owed. It it's beyond being worth fixing. Barely pulled itself up on the dolly. Company made their money on the car already so they don't care.
  • KennyP said thank you

#1215 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Glad that went well! Sounds like the lady was done with it too!