wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Woohooooo tractor time today.

Verry early for a Saturday morning my alarm went off. After a bit of confusion as to what planet I was on I dragged my carcass out of bed and made

superduper.jpg

Then I woke Jared up. He told me he didn't want to get up. I told him he had to choice. So he finally got his feet under him and got dressed.

Then, with my hat on my head and my thermos in hand, we hopped in the BlueOx and headed to Gastonia I pick up my slave.

A quick stop for gas and sausage biscuits at QuickStop and we arrived to pick the slave up and then pointed our noses north to Charlotte.

If there is any time I love going to Charlotte it is early on a Saturday morning. I could drive in the oncoming lane and not hit anyone. No traffic anywhere.

Once we arrived at Pull-a-Part we wandered around the rows of cars and found a Chevy S10 with a good tail light wiring harness. The slaves job was to push the wheelbarrow full of tools and guard the tools with his life. Then we wandered around some more till we found one with a good front light harness.

With that in hand we looked happened upon a Chevy Cavalier that had the steering wheel I wanted for the BlueOx so I snagged it and we headed out. $32 later and we were back on the road.

One stop to grab some drinks and we headed south.

Once we got to the house I wasted no time in giving out marching orders and getting to work.. I wanted everything near the buildings moved out of the way so I could mow everything and get it all re-organized. It has really gotten out of hand.

While we worked Heath ran wild around the yard. At one point he was all the way at the bottom of the field laughing like a maniac. Then he ran all the way back up to us. That is a pretty long haul for someone with tiny legs.

With the big little trailer hooked to the Hemorrhoid, the little little trailer hooked to Jareds Craftsman, and the crane hooked to the DragonFly we started moving and stacking. I was amazed at the size of the pile that was growing.

We moved the full size pickup out of the weeds and found a stash of chicken eggs that had gone bad. I was throwing them down in the field and Steph picked two up and decided to tap them together. There was a pop followed by a horrible stench. Jared nearly puked. I laughed and kept throwing eggs.

Finally we got it all moved and all of us but Heath were exhausted.

So we quit.

Except for Heath. He was still going strong.

After a brief cool down time in the A\C Jared, Slave boy and I hopped in the BlueOx and headed back to Gastonia to take Slaveboy home, then I took Jared to his grandmothers.

On the way home I heard something on the radio that I have never heard before. The weather came on and the gas said it was 83 and felt like 98 with humidity. Then she said that there would be isolated downpours. Not showers, or rain, or storms, or even thunderstorms. Nope she said downpours.

And did it ever. Almost back at the house it cut loose. I mean in the traffic on the 55 mph stretch of road slowed to 25 cut loose.

As we drove out of one storm and into the next there was a guy on a moped who had evidently never driven up HWY 150 in the rain before.

There is a spot in front of Heaffner's Superette that fills up with water about 8 inches deep when it rains. Moped guy was pulling away from me from a stoplight. He was completely dry when he got to the spot. When he came out of it he was drenched. I have no idea how he kept it upright. But I was laughing so hard I nearly ran over him.

Then it really started to rain. To the point that I almost pulled over.

I finally arrived at home and came in side and waded out of my rain and sweat drenched clothes.

I did take one pic out the window of the pile of stuff we moved. Bad thing is that it all has to go back.

2013-08-31_16-30-25_738.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#1157 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 04:59 PM

You do have a few things. 

#1158 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:19 AM

When you say pile of stuff you really mean pile of stuff!! :-)

#1159 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:30 AM

I must say I have rather enjoyed your thread.  I actually sat here and read 78 pages of it over the last few days. 

You lead an interesting life.  Never really knew you could make a living buying and selling scrap.  Seems like A LOT of work.

I've spent a lot of my time trading and selling as a gig to pay for my hobbies, but never thought of doing it full time.

Also very glad to see you have become reunited with your son.  Son's need their Dad's in their lives to teach them things mothers can't.  I know without my Dad I would not be where I am today, nor know how to do all the things I do.

• Craig., oldedeeres and JoeMopar have said thanks

#1160 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:41 AM

When you say pile of stuff you really mean pile of stuff!! :-)

You got that right!    But did you get all the  :pushmower:  finished?

• Craig. said thank you

#1161 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:51 AM

You got that right!    But did you get all the  :pushmower:  finished?

After I took Justin and Jared home it started to pour rain and it rained all day yesterday so no mowing yet.

#1162 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 02:31 PM

I've been mowing half the day.  Started this morning & grass was very wet, but it had to be mowed today.  Quality of cut not that important for the barn areas.  Mowing my home yard tonight while it's dry.

• Craig. said thank you

#1163 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:01 AM

How should I put this... The grass under my trees need mowed. The rest is about dead. We need some of the rain ur getting. It's getting cooler now thinking about closing up the pool this weekend as well.

#1164 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Glad someone else has piles of 'stuff'! I don't feel so bad about mine now!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1165 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:14 AM

How should I put this... The grass under my trees need mowed. The rest is about dead. We need some of the rain ur getting. It's getting cooler now thinking about closing up the pool this weekend as well.

Man I wish I could send you some of the rain we have been getting. 2 mornings in a row about 4 AM been woken up with storms coming through.  Yesterday the storm took over 4 Hrs to pass. 

• Craig. said thank you

#1166 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 04:17 PM

That's a long lasting storm!

#1167 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Boy I could use a couple days of rain now for my delima. http://gardentractor...e-4#entry360518 But I can only watch it miss me. :mad2:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090229.JPG
  • P1090231.JPG

#1168 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:47 PM

The best laid plans of mice and men so oft do fly all all over the place.

This morning I had nothing to do but work on my whatzit. SO after a leisurely pot of

the phone rang and promptly destroyed my plans.

A regular called and had a pile of misc metal that he wanted gone so Jared and I hooked the little trailer up to Christine and headed up to his house.

With a load of store shelving, some bicycles, a car battery, and some misc stuff we headed home. I still had plenty of time to work on my stuff.

Then the phone rang again.

A guy had a car he wanted me to come get. So I called Steph to turn on the air compressor so we could air up the leaky tire on the big trailer ( I still haven't got a tire for the tow dolly yet). And of course she wasn't home. I told her to head back to the house.

We got there and got the BlueOx hooked up to the big trailer and then headed up to get the car.

Things were great till Stephanie noticed a tire was leaking. It had a screw that went through the tread and out the sidewall. I pulled it out and put 6 plugs in it hoping it would get me home. It seemed to stop leaking so we loaded up and headed out.

Steph wanted to get some food so we went to get some. As we pulled off the interstate I saw a cloud of smoke coming from the trailer tire and knew it was toast. We drove slowly to the restaurant which was just off the exit and the tire was too hot to touch, so we went in.

When we came back out the tire had cooled off and we got to work. With the tire off the trailer I found that the fender had broken loose from the trailer. Evidently a piece of the tire had hit it pretty good and messed it up.

We pulled it up with a ratchet strap to pull it up off the tire and keep it from flopping around. , put a come-along on the tireless axle to keep it off the road, then we crossed our fingers and tried to get to Northern Tool to get a tire for the tow dolly. We didn't make it.

About 4 miles down the road I saw a cloud of smoke coming from the tire. We pulled in to a parking lot and I went back to survey the damage. I was going to pull the fender off but the guy did too good of a job fixing the front of it. All I had in the truck was a big straight screwdriver and a hammer and I couldn't break the welds.

After a little bit of thinking I had a plan. We jacked the trailer up by the frame as high as we could get it up and then I slid 2 2x4s between the frame and the axle to hold it up in the correct position.

Driving slowly we managed to make a 30 minute drive home in only an hour.

Jared has been in a kind of a funk all day and I wasn't sure why. He just told me he wanted to go back to his Moms in Az.. Not sure how I feel about that right now.

• backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1169 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Sorry Jared feels that way, but he's likely a little homesick for his Mom.  Could also be changing schools isn't working for him.  Likely a lot going on in his head right now.  Hope it all works our for all of you.  Tough place to be in....for all of ya's.

#1170 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Sorry to hear about Jared.  I think Daniel pretty much hit the nail on the head.  I hope things work out for all of you.