• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Glad to hear that! Sounds like Jared is having a great time, too!

#1097 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 03:14 PM

And don't forget Willie  lol.

#1098 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Great day! And it was my birthday to boot!

This morning bright and early I rolled out of bed, got dressed, poured my

Self-Expolding-Coffee-783.jpg

in my thermos, and headed out to the shop.

I spent about an hour cleaning up the mess we have made. Well, actually the mess Jared and Steph had made. Got my tool box reorganized. Rounded up some missing tools. And moved some stuff to another building.

At 10am a Furd pickup pulled in the driveway. A guy drove an hour and a half to buy a set of wheels I was selling. While he was here my friend Tim pulled in in his Furd and asked if I had a set of 15 inch tires. I told him I did and he went to look at them and bought them.

At 1020 I had an extra $150 in my pocket.

Since everyone else was still in the house I went in the shop and fired up the computer to check emails and play online. I found a cigar just waiting for me so I smoked it while I played.

A guy called at around 11 wanting a brush guard that I had listed on CL. He was going to drive to the house. I told him that I was going to Charlotte to the aircraft museum and I could bring it with me. He said great because he was a hour on the other side of it. I told him I would be there at 2.

I loaded the brush guard up in the truck and then came in the house to shower.

Steph presented me with a new t-shirt for my birthday. So I put it on.

At 1pm we left the house and had a nice drive up to Charlotte to the museum.

On the way up the guy called and asked if I could meet him at a restaurant. I told him no. He said he would be late. I told him to just call when he got there. I told him I was in a big blue Suburban.

We wandered thru the museum – man have things changed in the 12 years since I was there. Last time Jared and I went it was just an old hanger with a bunch of planes sitting around. Now it is a new hanger with planes actually on display. Unfortunately it was not air conditioned. It was a mite warm in there.

We made a good first impression by going in the exit, then Jared touched a plane. I told him not to touch them just as a guy from the museum came running up to scold him.

We got a good look at the “Miracle on the Hudson” plane

2013-08-10_13-54-51_784.jpg

and got to play on one of the escape rafts. Heath thought it was great.

Unfortunately the Huey that I got a picture of Jared in front of when he was 2 was being worked on for a different display so I had to settle for this Chinook.

jaredhuey.jpg 2013-08-10_13-53-07_388.jpg 2013-08-10_13-53-31_108.jpg

They had a little Cessna on display and Jared said he wouldn't fit in it so the museum guy said for him to try it out. The wing came to my shoulders.

2013-08-10_13-46-31_297.jpg

They had an F-4 cockpit we could sit in. Neither Jared or I fit very well.

This was my view. NO way the canopy would have closed.

2013-08-10_14-06-00_848.jpg

2013-08-10_14-08-32_112.jpg

2013-08-10_14-07-37_440.jpg

Then we sat down and watched the video of the plane landing on the river. It was pretty neat.

My guy called and said he was in the parking lot. He asked where my Suburban was. I told him it was the huge blue truck in the parking lot. He said he didn't see it. LOL

Jared and I went out and the guy looked at the guard and said he had no idea how to put it on. We had agreed on $75 for it, but he said he would give me $100 if I installed it. So we pulled across the parking lot and I pulled off my new shirt and put it on. Jared said it was too hot and went back inside. His truck was caked in dirt so I was a bit filthy when I got finished.

Steph came out by the time I was through. We didn't have a single rag or towel in the truck so she took one of Heaths cloth diapers inside and got it wet then came back out and I cleaned up in the parking lot. Jared said he was starting to come out and he saw Steph washing my back off and he turned around and went back inside LOL.

So with more money stuffed in my wallet we loaded up and started over to Genghis Grill to get some food.

On the way over the leaky heater core in the BlueOx decided to leak and poured lots of hot coolant on Jared's shoes. We got to Genghis as the truck was starting to get hot.

This beauty was out front.

2013-08-10_15-59-19_593.jpg

2013-08-10_15-59-28_865.jpg

Jared had never been so I had to show him how to fix his bowl and we got down to eating.

Steph told him it was my birthday and they said if I had a rewards car my meal was free. So I fished my card out of my wallet. The waitress came back and said we had another free meal on the card. SO 4 of us ate for the price of 1 and brought lots of food home.

I had a gallon of water int eh truck so I poured it in and we headed down to a gas station. 4 gallons of water and $40 of gas and we were on the road again.

Then we stopped by my buddy's cigar shop where Heath ran around like a madman while Jared and I talked to Darryl.

Finally we headed home. The truck behaved.

Once home I sat for a minute and caught my breath then I took Jared up to his Grandmothers. I go tomorrow evening to pick him up at the emergency room where she works. Good thing too it is an hour closer.

Finally I got to sit down at my desk type this up and drink a beer while eating leftovers from supper.

Yep a good day.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, August 10, 2013 - 09:24 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1099 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:48 PM

While reading your latest post (sounded like a good time) (and happy birthday) A gust of wind from a collapsing near by thunder storm decided to through the Grandson's 7.5 foot trambolene across three cars and slam into my shop. :wallbanging:  Scaird the %^& out of me. I also had two of those easy up tarps that I ran out to grab, I parked BMP under one and lowered it and bunjied it to BMP the other is used for Dog shade and is now tehered to the porch. Not a drop of rain :mad2:  

#1100 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Man if you didn't fit in an F4 cockpit you would never get into an A-4.  I've seen some pretty big men fly the F-4 & A-4 for that matter.

#1101 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Man if you didn't fit in an F4 cockpit you would never get into an A-4.  I've seen some pretty big men fly the F-4 & A-4 for that matter.

I don't think it would have been real comfortable flying around with my head sticking out of the cockpit. Let alone only being able to see the windscreen frame. I had the same problem with the 72 Fiat 850 Spider I had.

#1102 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 05:46 PM

I don't think it would have been real comfortable flying around with my head sticking out of the cockpit. Let alone only being able to see the windscreen frame. I had the same problem with the 72 Fiat 850 Spider I had.

It may not do it on the cockpit in the museum but on the real McCoy you could lower the seat and almost sit on the floor.

#1103 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 06:52 PM

I agree, I was a seat mechinic 1976 - 79 on these there are 9 safety pins to prevent ejection, never used them on hot turn arounds. Many good stories here, I was looking for a specfic polorid with me in the intake, was going to make a wise guy remark about riding there. I sift through the picture album and see if I can find it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• F4 1.jpg
  • F4 2.jpg

#1104 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:52 PM

I need to look through some of my old albums and see what pic's I still have.  Worked on them for about the first 10 years I was in. 

#1105 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Full speed ahead captain we got tractors to snag.

This morning got off to a very leisurely start. I didn't get to sleep till about 4am so I woke up at 11am and laid in the bed for a while just resting. At 12 Steph down for a nap and came back to take a nap herself. I figured it was as good a time as any to get up.

So

coffee-addict.jpg

Then I sat down at my desk to peruse the internet at leisure. I was going ot go out and bypass the heater core in the BlueOx but I wanted to show Jared how to do it tomorrow so I just rested a while.

Steph got up at about 2pm feeling much more rested.

At 3pm I got a phone call from a guy in Morganton about buying a tractor. So while I got dressed Steph said she would go out and hook the trailer up to Christine. I had to pick up Jared at 9 so I knew I had to hurry.

When I went out I pulled the tiny trailer and the Mart Cart (which still worked even though it has been rained on for 2 weeks) and then the phone rang again. A guy in Hickory had a Yard Machine he wanted me to buy to pay his power bill tomorrow before it got cut off. So I did a quick calculation in my head and said I would be there in about 30 minutes.

I made a stop at the Shell station for some liquid schwartz and made it to Hickory in record time.

When I go to the guys house there was a fat guy on the tractor beating the snot out of it, slamming it in and out of gear, jerking on the blade engagement lever and tearing the yard up. Another guy walked out to me and said that the other guy was supposed to come yesterday and didn't. He showed up today and didn't want to pay the asking price. I told the owner that I would buy it and tell the fat guy to get off. His wife said she didn't want to start a fight. He told her that I was carrying a gun no one smart would argue.

So I paid the guy and then went over and told the fat guy, who had just crashed it into the next door neighbors concrete driveway, to get off my tractor. He started yelling and I told him that all he had done since I had been there was try to tear it up. He got mad and jumped off and let it roll out into the street while saying unkind things about my parents. Then he got in his truck and went tearing off up the road.

The blades kept engaging themselves because the notch on the tractor was worn out. I knew it was an easy fix.

The owner laughed and said that he was getting ready to tell the guy to take a flying leap when I got there, but since I was bigger he let me.

Then I gave the little Yard Machine the ride of its life.

Back on the interstate I put my tray table in the upright and locked position, pushed the throttles to emergency military power, and made the Kessel run in 3 parsects.

Once I got to the second house I looked at the Lowe's tractor he had. It started right up.

So I dropped the trailer pulled Christine forward and put the little Yard Machine up in the bed. Then hooked back up and drove the Lowe's up on the trailer.

Then he said he had a John Deere he would sell cheap. I took a look at it. We couldn't get it to start so he came down on his price. Then he said he had a parts tractor. I took a look at it and saw the very part I needed to fix the Yard machine.

So I gave him a handfull of cash and we loaded the tractors up and I headed back to home.

When I pulled in the yard Steph was outside letting Heath run wild. She looked at me and said that I had more than 2 tractors. I laughed.

We unhooked the trailer and got the one off the truck then I took a short break, drank a root beet, then headed off to Shelby to get Jared.

I talked to his grandmother for the first time in nearly 8 years. She was very nice to me. I guess she doesn't believe her daughter either.

LittleFox had pulled his cast off his leg overnight. He seems to be doing good on the leg.

S\o Jared and I made it home. Steph's friends were over fawning over the kittens. They took one home to see how it gets along with their cat. They will bring it back tomorrow to nurse.

Tomorrow Jared and I have a busy day of tractor and truck repair to do. Hopefully I will have 2 tractors to sell by tomorrow evening.

Here is today's haul. Forgive the blurry pics I think I may have sweated on the camera lens.

2013-08-11_19-44-57_917.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-46_21.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-02_782.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-06_146.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-17_140.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-28_717.jpg 2013-08-11_19-45-58_848.jpg 2013-08-11_19-46-10_252.jpg 2013-08-11_19-46-19_51.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#1106 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Good luck getting the tractors going! Quite the trailer load there!

#1107 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Willie, how do you load and unload the tractors from the trailer sideways?  I sometimes need to pick up more then one tractor so that would be a neat trick.

#1108 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Willie, how do you load and unload the tractors from the trailer sideways?  I sometimes need to pick up more then one tractor so that would be a neat trick.

Spinach and anger

Edited by mybigwarwagon, August 12, 2013 - 11:44 AM.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#1109 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Baby it's hot outside.

I didn't get to sleep till 5am so when the alarm went off at 7 I said no way Jose and went back to sleep. At around 1030 I managed to drag myself to the kitchen

coffee cartoon.jpg

Jared and I got interested in watching a show about military weapons and kind got a late start. Kid is learning a lot of stuff though. He is really studying lots of stuff he never heard about living with his mom.

When we finally went outside ti showed him how to bypass the heater core on the BlueOx. He was a bit confused at first, but once I explained everything to him he did the bypass himself.

Then we got to tractor time. The DragonFly and the Hemorrhoid got jump started and we got to work.

While hooking the Hemorrhoid up to the trailer I found a blue tailed skink to put in Jared’s terrarium. Once we got hooked up He backed up under the gantry crane and we unloaded the tractors one at a time. The Lowe's I actually turned around then jump started and drove off the trailer.

Then I showed Jared how to take the deck adjustment guide off the parts tractor and put it on the Lawn Machine I got yesterday. Once that was done my son who adopted me ,Graham, took it to mow his yard. It worked perfectly. I am going to have to put a couple of bolts in the hood.

Then I got to work on some chainsaws that Grahams father left him.

They are both older Homelites that are in pretty good shape. I got one to run with just a simple spark plug cleaning and a shot of brake cleaner to clean out the carb. It worked great until I started to cut a limb over my head and it sprayed fuel all over me. It took me a couple try to find where it was coming from. The grommet on the fuel line was hanging on the line down in the tank. I will go get a ne wone tomorrow.

The other one I couldn't get to start at all. It has a brand new plug in it so I have a feeling that Grahams father couldn't get it started either.

Then I dragged my Craftsman chainsaw out of the shop and got it fired it up and started trimming a tree out front. About halfway thru my shoulder gave out and I had to quit.

While I was playing with chainsaws Jared mowed the yard. He missed a bunch of spots because he hasn't learned to slow down and look yet.

Steph came out and said she wanted to mow the spots he missed so she took off.

At one point she got stuck but didn’t really explain how or how she got it out. A couple of minutes later she got off the tractor and told me it wouldn't back up. Jared hopped on it and drove it over to me. Steph said when she tried to back up it was lifting the deck. I took a look and one of the leveling rods had come loose and was bent into a pretzel. Once again the tractor lives up to its name.

I finally dragged myself in the house about 530 soaked and dripping with sweat. Graham came in with me and brought me a beer. It was Coors light but hey it was free.

Steph made a quick run to the store then came home and cooked Sloppy Joes.

Now I have a 5 week old kitten on my chest who thinks my beard is his personal scratching pad. He is the one we are keeping. His momma is leaving because she is pooping in the floor.

Heath is climbing up on the armrest of the couch and then jumping down on the cushions and thinks it is the greatest thing ever.

Steph is watching Breaking Bad with me.

Jared is watching youtube videos.

It has been a good day.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1110 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:12 PM

You forget Willie is related to King Kong?

• HDWildBill said thank you