4317 replies to this topic

#1081 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Vary glad to hear about ur son staying. That's great news. Can't help u on the half cow thing. I'm still paying off local butcher for the 3 boys I raised.

#1082 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm glad to hear your son is staying! I think it will help you both! Don't have any cows this way, talk to Daniel!

#1083 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Today was a day off- so naturally I am exhausted.

After finally getting some uninterrupted sleep I made my way to the kitchen and

I was supposed to pick up a car today but that fell through so I had nothing to do. I told Jared he could go outside and work on destroying the 94 Buick Century we got yesterday. He got right on it.

In about 30 minutes he managed to pull the doughnut spare that was on the front drivers side off the rim. I told him to look around for a full size tire. He said he found one and put it on. I never went outside to look.

When I finally did go outside I found that he had somehow managed to get a Ford Ranger rim on the thing. It didn't fit right and he almost lost the tire at one point. We hunted around and found a good tire to put on the full size rim with a flat tire.

When he started to take off the lugs on that tire three of them broke.

SO we took the passengers side off to harvest a stud.

While he did that I got to work putting a tire on the rim. Since I don't have a changer it was a lot of pulling and tugging at prybars to get it on.

I came in the house to cool off, thinking I was done. I wasn't.

Jared came in to do something and left the car in the front yard. He went out the door and came back and said it had been stolen. He wanted to know if Steph was in it. I told him that she was in Heaths room and then I went outside. He didn't put the car in park and it rolled away and hit my big trailer. Trailer won. Car got smashed pretty good on the front end.

With that fixed he got back to driving like a maniac. He hit the hay wagon at the bottom of the hill 4 times, the combine tires 3 times, then he hit a roll of old field fencing that needed to go to scrap and got it all tangled up in the car.

After about 30 minutes of cutting and pulling we got it off and then flattened it out and put it in the trunk.

Around 3:00 I decided to burn the brush pile so we lit it up and Jared drove around it like he was possessed for a couple of hours.

When it got dark he turned on the remaining headlight and drove on till about 10. He got brave and started driving thru the burn pile. I wish I had my camera then because it was pretty neat to watch.

Finally I gave the neighbors a break and told him to pack it in for the night. Tomorrow I will try to get some video of him driving.

If he learned nothing else he learned that little car is tougher than nails.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, August 03, 2013 - 09:48 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#1084 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 03:50 AM

Sounds like he had a LOT of fun!

BTW, I don't remember seeing you post his age.

Just how old is he?

#1085 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Jared is 15

#1086 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:08 PM

That's a darn good story Uncle WIllie!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#1087 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:04 PM

I had all this typed up yesterday, but it didn't post for some reason.

Yesterday was great, until my old nemesis showed up.

I slept in a bit then I staggered my way to the kitchen....

CoffeeCartoon.jpg

After I had a sufficient level of caffeine in my system Jared and I headed out to clean up his mess around the burn pile.

First order of business was getting the tire back on the DragonFly that I took off about a month ago to see about getting the weights on it. Still no weights.

So after finally getting the wheel on Christine lent a few volts to the starting system and that old 16HP horizontally opposed Briggs roared to life on the first turn of the key.

I left her idling while Jared and I got his tractor back together. He put a battery in while I cleaned and gapped the spark plug.

During this time the DragonFly sputtered and died. Out of gas. I dispatched Steph to the gas station while Jared and I kept going.

Turns out the battery didn't have enough umph to turn the engine over so the Buick lent a helping hand to the effort and it fired right up.

Steph got home with fuel. I hooked the DragonFly up to the back blade and put the detatcher on Jared s LT1000 and we went down in the field.

I took the lead with the going round and around the burn pile while Jared followed behind getting what I missed. IN about 30 minutes we were done and I turned the blade backwards and compacted the burn pile.

Once we got the pile burning Jared set about destroying the Buick again. He jumped and crashed and spun that thing all over the field.

After a while Steph drove Christine down with Heath and they sat and watched Jared. Jared decided to take Heath for a drive. I told him to go slow and Heath had a ball. You could hear him yelling and laughing.

After about 45 minutes he brought Heath back and then went nuts again. He made one spectacular turn and there was a horrific bang. Sounded like a gunshot. He blew out the front passengers side tire.

He asked if he could still drive it and I told him to go for it.

Since He couldn't do slides anymore on the rim he decided the best thing to do was to find something to crash into.

There is a huge wooden wire spool in the field so he used that.

I was going to walk up and get a good video of it when he crashed into it, but my enemy attacked. When I stood up every muscle in my body cramped. I nearly fell flat on my face.

I had been sitting in the shade drinking Gatorade, but I was soaked in sweat. I managed to get in the bed of the truck and Steph drove me up the hill to the house.

It was unbelievable painful getting undressed and in the tub, but I managed. After about a 2 hour soak in a hot bath and 2 gallons of water I started being able to move.

Jared managed to jam the car up inside the spool and Steph had to go out and free him up. The car was done, they loaded it on the tow dolly to go to the crusher today.

This morning I am a bit sore but able to move. I haven't had the cramping problem for a couple of years. Hopefully it will be a couple more before it happens again.

The Buick has seen better days. It didn't have a dent on it when we got it.

IMG_20130805_123711_73.jpg

2013-08-05_12-37-30_853.jpg

2013-08-05_12-37-47_30.jpg 2013-08-05_12-38-02_6.jpg

2013-08-05_12-38-13_367.jpg

2013-08-05_12-38-26_87.jpg

I am working on editing a video of the destruction.

• Craig., backwoods and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1088 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Interesting day for sure.

This mornign I arose from my slumber and clomped toward the kitchen..

strong_coffee_mug.jpg

Then I prepared to get dressed.

I had no pants. Somehow every single pair of my work pants was in the washer.

So while I sat in my boxers waiting for my pants to dry, Steph, Heath, and Jared took the Buick off to the scrap yard.

When they got back and I had dry britches to put on we got my friend Grady’s Ford Explorer loaded up on the tow dolly. Then we all loaded up in the BlueOx and went to meet him in Lincolnton.

A short hop there and then he followed us to the garage in Newton where I was dropping off his truck and picking up a Chevy Monte Carlo.

While I was up at the shop I helped my buddy Mike fix a truck. He was trying to get a brake caliper slide off a Nissan pickup and had been fighting it for about 30 minutes. I walked over and looked at it and asked if he had a punch and a hammer. He said he had already tried that. I picked up the punch and hammer and in 15 seconds it clattered to the floor. He asked how I did that. I said, “If you won't obey me out of respect, then you had better obey me out of fear.”

Unfortunately for Jared the Monte barely ran. It was all it could do to get up on the dolly. But at least I didn't have to push it.

We got home and quickly got it all pulled apart and ready for the scrap yard.

Jared told me something was wrong with his tractor. He said it wouldn't do anything. I asked what that meant. He said nothing. Finally he told me that it would crank and wouldn't start. I looked at the fuel tank, it was bone dry.

After we drained the gas out of the Monte I filled his tractor up.

Tomorrow will be busy. Hopefully I can sleep tonight.

• Craig. said thank you

#1089 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Word to the wise about putting weights on your tractor rims......almost a guarantee that within a day or 2, one tire will develop a flat!  Off with the weight you just put on!  :(   Happened to me at least twice!

#1090 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Word to the wise about putting weights on your tractor rims......almost a guarantee that within a day or 2, one tire will develop a flat!  Off with the weight you just put on!  :(   Happened to me at least twice!

So far I have had good luck with that.Fingers crossed.

#1091 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Busy but good day.

This morning I rolled out of bed and into

Man Swimming In Coffee.png

Then Jared and Ihustled out to the BlueOx to get the Monte off to the scrap yard. While we unhooked Jared put his big foot on the magnetic tow light wire and snatched them off the car and broke one.

A wad of cash later and we made our way up to Hickory to get a Nissan Pickup.

Jared was amazed that the guy left a lime green skull shift knob, Realtree seat covers, and an aluminum tool box on it. I guess when you are 15 those things are really important

We made one stop on the way home to drop something off then headed home where Steph came out to help us snatch the Nissan apart. Jared kept the shift knob and put it on Christine.

While they did that I worked on repairing the tow lights with parts from an old set. The wire on the lights was so lousy it was breaking in my hands. I think dental floss would have been stronger.

Once we had every thing done Jared and I headed out to the scrap yard again. With the Nissan unloaded he headed home.

30 feet outside the scrap yard a tire on the tow dolly blew out. Since I didn't have a spare we drove 20 MPH the 8 miles home. I only got flipped off twice that I saw.

Once we got home we switched to the big trailer and then had about a 45 minute break.

At 6pm we had to pick up a Ford stRanger.

On the way there an idiot in a dodge Caravan pulling a small mower on a trailer nearly hit ushead on. He turned right in front of us from the oncoming lane without even looking.

The woman said it had something wrong with the engine, but it drove up on the trailer. It had a chrome skull shift knob, and almost a full sheet of diamond plate steel with it.

Jared was dying to drive it so I let him take it down in the field. I was busy with some other stuff but after about 5 minutes I took a look down the hill.

2013-08-06_19-16-20_880.jpg

Yes that is him driving the stRanger.

I told him to bring it back up and put it on the trailer. I am really surprised it ran as long as it did.

Should cut down on mosquitoes!!

Finally I brought the tow lights in and my spare roll of trailer wiring and sat at my desk for a while and rewired them with something stronger than frayed thread. I could probably tow a car with them now.

• olcowhand, Craig., WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#1092 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not much going on the last few days.

Picked up a couple of cars.

Jared drove them to destruction.

Crushed cars.

Got money.

Baby chick got in dog pen.

Chick survived.

IT rained.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1093 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Raining here now, but I'm glad to see it.  First time all year I needed rain.  I can now see where my septic tank is.  Still wasn't critically dry at all, but nice to see rain come just the same.

#1094 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Not much going on the last few days.

Picked up a couple of cars.

Jared drove them to destruction.

Crushed cars.

Got money.

Baby chick got in dog pen.

Chick survived.

IT rained.

Dang! That was short and sweet! How's Heath doing?

#1095 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Heath is great. He is climbing all over everything and destroying the house in general. So normal kid stuff.

• Craig., KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks