UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Yeah Larry the big city of Waco has a post office, a seed mill, a gas station, and obviously a scrap yard. There was a big controversy there a couple years back because no one remembered where the exact center of town was. Originally it was a brass pin driven into the middle of the intersection and Waco was everything in a one mile radius of that pin. However, at some unremembered point it was pulled up for road work and never put back and then the actual intersection that it was in was moved. It was a big deal. Finally the resolved to make the center of town the rail road bridge and life got back to normal. Those rioting crowds of 4 and 5 are scary

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#1052 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think they left the letters H & K out of the town's name?!?!? :smilewink:

#1053 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Today I have done my best to do exactly nothing.

And for the most part I have succeed.

Apparently at one point it was silly hat day.

2013-07-17_15-42-46_366.jpg

2013-07-17_18-21-16_42.jpg

We had a quite nasty storm this afternoon.

I did pull myself out of the recliner long enough to fix a leak in the bathroom sink. Somehow one of the fittings worked loose.

Now I am sitting here watching The Saint while Jared reads car magazines and catalogs and questions me on every thing in them.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 17, 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• backwoods and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1054 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:21 PM

I need to find a day to do nothing. As long as I have a City issued cell phone I don't see that happining any time soon. And when I do take a day off it is because I have something that needs taken care of at the house. Yes, I have used a vacation day to cut grass, I would argue that it is worth that just for the seat time, but again I shouldn't need to use a vacation day to do this.

#1055 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:42 PM

It would be terrible if that phone got dropped ina pitcher of beer or something

#1056 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:33 PM

I did pull myself out of the recliner long enough to fix a leak in the bathroom sink. Somehow one of the fittings worked loose.

Now you know what Heath was doing with the wrenches! :hitting_self_roller:  :bigrofl:  

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1057 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:19 AM

And the sweat-a-thon continues.

Yesterday we got up and then

old-coffee-time-branding-1.jpg

And once I had my eyes pried open Jared and I took a truck to the scrap yard.

Once that was done we cleaned up the yard a bit then I let him take Christine down in the field for a little learning on the clutch. He did really good. I told him he could only use 1st and reverse and to stay off the gas. IT is a great way to learn to use a clutch. He did try to start out in 5th gear though. That didn't work real well.

Finally I came in a hosed off the sweat and headed up to a doctors appointment. Although due to a mix up it turns out that I didn't need to go. Oh well at least it was air conditioned.

Then I came home and did nothing.

Not exciting but that was yesterday.

#1058 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:34 PM

One of the great joys of my life is never knowing what is going to happen during the day.

After a fitful night of sleep with my back hurting I was in the midst of a beautiful dream. I had rescued Jennifer Love Hewitt from terrorists and she was said she was going to show me her gratitude when the phone rang. I swear I am going to throw that thing in a canyon one day.

So I attempted to get out of bed and my back said NO.

So I laid on the heating pad for a while until I could move without screaming then I made my way into my office where I sat on my massaging cushion while Steph kept my IV full.

coffee.gif

Then I finally managed to get dressed and get outside.

When we took the pickup to the scrap yard yesterday I had the wrong hitch mount on the truck that was too high and it made one of the ramps drag the ground and messed the end of it up. So today I got out the sawzall and whittled the mangled end down.

Then I had Jared pull the BlueOx around and hook it up to the tow dolly so we could go to Newton to get a car from my friends garage. The car came in for repairs 3 years ago and he has not heard from the owner since.

We stopped for gas and saw this beauty.

2013-07-20_15-28-50_956.jpg

2013-07-20_15-28-33_116.jpg

2013-07-20_15-28-43_32.jpg

When we got to the garage no one was there. So I started calling him. After 4 calls he answered. He was in the shower. Glad it wasn’t a video call!! He said that after he called me yesterday the guy showed up and towed it out. Figures after 3 years he would come to get it the day before I came after it.

We headed home in and out of rains storms and made a stop at the grocery store to get a couple of things for dinner at my neighbors house tonight.

Just as I turned into my road the phone rand. It was Buddy. His wife had driven the van they just bought to Winston-Salem and on the way home she stopped at Ingles in Kings Mountain to get something. The van would not restart.

SOOOOO Jared and I jumped back in the truck with the tow dolly still attached in case I had to tow them home and headed down back roads to get there.

Sure enough when you turned the key everything on the van worked – but it would not turn over.

I checked fuses and tapped on the starter and nothing. We hooked up jumper cables and nothing.

Then I pulled the positive jumper clamp off and the terminal connector came off with it. It was too big for the terminal. I searched the truck and found a screw and put it in the terminal to make it fit and tried again. Nothing.

I poked around some more then had a bright idea and pulled on the negative cable. It came off too. I didn't have nay more screws so I found a piece of wire in the truck and stripped it and folded it over to stick int eh terminal. Then we hooked it back up to the jumper cables and lo and behold it started.

I have no idea how the thing has run for 2 weeks with two loose battery terminals. If it happens again I will replace both of them and be done with it.

Jared and I got back to the house about 20 minutes after Steph went across the street for dinner.

Nature called when I got home so Jared went over without me. He took LittleFox with him.

When I walked over Shadow came with me. The neighbors thought it was funny that we came to dinner with a dog and a cat, but they love animals so they didn't care.

I finally made it back home with a sore back and a full belly. Maybe iI can sleep tonight.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1059 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Funny how battery terminal issues can cause so much headache! Cool old car. Haven't seen one like that for a while!

#1060 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:38 AM

I had the same exact thing happen to me last friday. Turn the key and everything works except no crank. A tip off in my case was all the dash lights stayed brite when I went to start. Both battery terminals had a screw through the lead connector and when I moved one it pulled right out. I added a star washer between the terminal and lead connector, and a nut underneath. should be good to go now.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080950.JPG
  • P1080951.JPG

#1061 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Well today was another one of those :I had nothing to do until I did” days.

I woke up very early with an unhappy stomach and a sore back and I really planned on doing nothing. I laid on the heating pad till about 9 while playing games on my phone until I could finally take it no more and I got up.

funny-coffee-poster.jpg

Then the phone rang. A woman in Hickory had a Mazda 929 she wanted me to pick up. She called it a nine hundred and twenty nine. I chuckled quietly.

Steph has been kind of bored at home since Jared and I have been going on all the jobs so she and Heath rode along with us.

After we grabbed the car I took Jared to Hooters for lunch. Poor kid didn't know where to look. It was a riot. The very attractive and well formed waitress was fawning all over him.

A Lucas tough Truck race came on so we sat and watched it Heath even enjoyed the race.

Then we came home. Heath was sound asleep in the back seat so we let him sleep

I jacked up the Hemorrohoid and looked under it to see what Jared mowed over last week. It was a huge tangle of wire. He hit it in a spot that had been regularly mowed so I am not sure where it came from.

2013-07-22_15-38-58_240.jpg

While I did that Jared and Steph got started pulling the 929 apart.

When I got the blade de-wired Jared put it back together and started to mow yard while I got on the car. Got a nice stereo and 4 nice aftermarket wheels with good tires. Those should sell good.

With that done and the tools put up I came in and sat down in my broken office chair.(thank you Jared for flopping down in it) and opened my first beer.

Then Steph came in and said the neighbors son needed his yard mowed. Someone is coming to fix the well tomorrow and won't do it with the knee high grass. His regular yard guy is sick and he works odd hours and doesn't have time to cut it.

SO the Hemorrhoid went on the trailer and the trailer got hooked to Christine and we left.

The neighbor lady, Wanda, is such a sweetheart. She kept insisting she was going to pay Jared for mowing. He kept telling her she wasn't. In the end we settled on a big pot of white beans as payment.

Finally came back home to sit in my broken chair again.

Tomorrow I have to get a new one.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 22, 2013 - 06:35 PM.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1062 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like a regular day to me! :bigrofl:  I hate when my chair gets broken!

#1063 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Not much got done yesterday. I had a doctors appointment for blood work then we tool the Mazda 929 mostly apart then we all loaded up in the BlueOx to go to Charlotte.

We stopped at a friends cigar shop. He was amazed at how tall Jared was. He was also glad to see Steph and Heath. After buying a couple of good cigars we drove down winding back-roads to avoid traffic and arrived at the house we were going to. A family was moving out and had a really nice desk chair for sale. With that safely int eh back of the Ox we headed down more back-roads bypassing rush hour traffic and then arrived at Ci-Cis pizza where Jared and I made them regret that all you can eat thing.

Then today.

As OldCowhand would say it was a 5 gallon sweat day.

As I sat and drank my coffee this morning I got a phone call from my neighbor. Her car had died and they decided not to fix it. She was asking what scrap yard she could get the most money from. I told her I would buy it and save her having to fool with it.

So we all went out and finished up the Mazda 929 that didn't get hauled off yesterday.

I started out by making a rookie mistake. When a car – especially a dark colored one- sits in the sun with a full tank of gas it builds up pressure. IF you punch a hole in the tank without releasing the pressure from the gas cap you get a shower in flammable liquid. I forgot to open the cap. So after my 87 octane shower we got about 12 gallons of liquid gold out of the Mazda

and into the trucks then took it to the scrap yard.

We came back and went to the neighbors house where we sat for too long on the screened in porch talking and enjoying the breeze before we paid them and headed to get the car. A Dodge Decrepit.

It didn't take us long to get it loaded while standing on the scorching hot pavement in the garages parking lot. Then we crossed a little strip of dirt and headed out the gravel drive next door.

When I stopped to let traffic pass the truck could not get enough traction in the gravel to pull over the 3 inch lip in the pavement. SO I stuck her in 4wd and we went out.

As we hit the pavement I happened to look in the mirror and saw that the strap Jared had put on his side had some how released and the car nearly came off the dolly.

I slowly turned into a gravel parking lot and we got out to look. Of course the loose strap was under the cars tire. SO I got the little scissor jack out of the Decrepits truck and jacked it up while Jared went in the little store to get us something to drink since we were both drenched with sweat. We finally got the car properly restrained and headed home.

All the way in I kept telling him that something wasn't right with the truck. I kept looking at the car in the mirror and couldn't figure it out. Then I happened to look down. The truck as still in 4wd. The truck has to be backed up about 10 feet to fully disengage the front axle and I couldn't do it on the highway so I drove nice and easy till I turned on my road then was able to back up and get it right.

Back home we moved everything in the back yard and Jared gleefully hopped on the tractor and cut the grass.

My adopted child Graham came over and said he was going to steal the Hemorrhoid tomorrow morning to cut his yard then I came in to the air conditioning and stripped out of my dripping clothes.

Now it is time to shower and drink lots of water.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1064 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:23 PM

What are you giving for the Dodge Decrepids? I have one that I will garentree that will make the trip from TX to NC for $1200.

I have had this on craigs list here, and the 2 bites I got are looking for high gas milage.

http://waco.craigsli...3920242739.html

#1065 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Not quite as hot today.

My back is still giving me fits so I am not managing to get to sleep at all till about 4 or 5 am. So this morning the coffee was extra strong.

garfield_strong-coffee_3-31-10.gif

After I hobbled around the house for a while trying to work the kink out of my back and finding no relief I decided it was time to get some stuff done.

Steph was bored so she decided to go take the Decrepit apart by herself. I didn't complain.

Jared, LittleFox, and I loaded the Hemorrhoid on the little trailer hooked to Christine and headed to Lincolnton.

First stop was TSC to get 2 fuel filters and a couple of pins for the trailer tongue latches since Jared has managed to loose all of mine. Then a run thru the gas pumps to fill up the tractor and off to Grady's shop to mow the grass and drop off his tires and wheels that I have had for a while.

Jared mowed while I sat in the truck and trued to find a comfortable position to sit. LittleFox slept in the passengers seat. Jared did manage to get stuck once in a bad spot in the yard. I think a semi got hung up there at once point and it never got fixed. He had the mower sitting on the deck with the tires in the air. So I pulled Christine up behind him and pulled him out.

When we got done and loaded back up we stopped by the car wash to blast all the mud and grass off the Hemorrhoid. $3 later and we were headed home.

When we got home I decided to pull my $50 Craftsman out from behind the shed and try to get it started. First think I found, besides the nasty gunk in the fuel filter, was that the filter was on backwards. I put a fresh filter on it, poured in some gas, and hooked it up to Christine with jumper cables and it started right up. Jared hopped on it and drove it all over the place. He even cut with it for a while.

2013-07-25_18-17-40_811.jpg

It needs an inner tube, battery, and a good cleaning and it will be great. Jared likes it so he can keep it to play on. He already is talking about what color he wants to paint it.

I gave Heath a long ride around on the Hemorrhoid then I called it a day. My back and shoulder are killing me so I came in to sit and do nothing.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks