Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Adventures Of My New Hat

• Please log in to reply
4306 replies to this topic

#1036 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yea I just got up and after reading that I'm ready to go back to bed!  Glad to see ya back on line Willie.  Our Granddaughter just got an Iphone so I took her old phone even though her old phone is older then mine is, I like it better.  This one is a flip phone to talk but it also opens to a keyboard to send text's.

#1037 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:52 PM

It is so hot I saw two trees fighting over the same dog!

This morning I was supposed to go get car. However that information was in my phone that died and I forgot about it. Since I didn't have this new phone completely setup properly I didn't hear the calls. So when I saw the missed call I called her back and we set up for tomorrow.

Then I got down to serious business.

coffeemeal.jpg

At noon Jared and I drove down to Tims's house and hooked up to his little trailer then we three headed off to Charlotte. When we got to the transmission shop everything was waiting for us to load up. Then we went up in the junk yard area and got two doors for Tim's Furd truck.

Jared has been asking me how the tracks on a tank work and I just happened to know where a old Sherman tank is sitting at a Guard Depot so on the way home we stopped by and let him look at it. IT didn't take him long to crawl all over the tank and answer his questions and then crawled back in the air conditioned truck to head home.

When we dropped Tim off Jared had to climb all over his two Ford tractors. I swear he is like a 6'6” 8 year old at times, but he has never been able to be around this kind of stuff so it is all new to him.

He vaguely remembers that I used to take him to places like the truck museum and the aircraft museum. His mom had no desire to take him to any “guy” things.

When Jared and I got home we looked the Hemorrhoid over and it needed a tuneup. A quick trip to the mower shop to grab new plugs and air filter and it seems to run better. It actually backs up now.

Once that was taken care of we got the Husqvarna off the little trailer then loaded the trailer up with all the scrap metal we have collected in the past 2 weeks.

I was wrong about the engine on the tractor it is a 12.5HP

2013-07-15_16-25-26_983.jpg

2013-07-15_16-25-43_346.jpg

2013-07-15_16-25-33_549.jpg

Then I stripped down all the radiators we had piled up while Steph and Heath got the little trailer hooked up to Christine and the tow dolly hooked up to the BlueOx for tomorrow fun.

After all that was done and we were all still barely standing we started to work with LittleFox on coming when he is called. Chasing him around the yard is getting old.

Finally I drug my sweat drenched carcass in the house and into the shower. I almost smell human again.

After my shower we were looking for the TV remote and found a pile of my missing box end wrenches under the couch cushions. I have no idea how they got inside and in the couch but I have a feeling that a little boy named Heath had a large part in it.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1038 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Enjoyed the read today, it sure makes the work day go by quicker. When ur stuck this high up in the air all by ur self.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#1039 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,667 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yeah! Sure! Blame the little guy for all the missing tools! What were they doing in the house, anyway?

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1040 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Kenny I have no clue how the tools got in the house. For all I know the little monkey put them in his diaper and smuggled them in from the shop to work on his matchbox cars.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 15, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#1041 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,667 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:23 PM

That's one of the perks of having a little one on the loose! What's that lump in this cushion? :bigrofl:

#1042 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:12 PM

The best laid plans of mice and men....

Today we got started early because I had to get the load of scrap metal off to the yard then go get a car at 10 then go to the doc at 2.

So I headed to the kitchen.

coffeegod.gif

Then we got outside and let the sweating begin.

First we hopped in Christine and headed to Waco to unload. $182 later and we were headed back home.

We got out of Christine and climbed right into the BlueOx and headed south. It took about an hour and a half to get there and oh boy did I screw up.

When I talked to the guy a couple of weeks ago he told me that the car was missing a front tire. I didn't write that down and forgot about it. When I got there and saw the front passengers side on the ground I knew things were about to get interesting.

The car was in nose first and we had to move it to get it on the tow dolly. Jared wrapped a tow strap around the back axle and I hooked it to the OX. Jared got in the New Yorker and I pulled him out in the road. He said it was incredible fun.

Once we had it out in the road I hooked back up to the tow dolly and backed it under the front of the car. Then I opened the back of the BlueOx and realized that half of the stuff had not been put back in the truck from our vacation.

I had one big ratchet strap minus the ratchet, one dinky little strap from the dollar store, a come-along, one bumper jack, and one 4 foot cheater bar to work with. I had my regular tools and the tires straps for the dolly but they would be no help loading the car.

I hooked the bumper jack on the wheel well of the car and started to jack it up while Jared got the Come-along hooked up. After I got the it would go he started to pull it up then I took the cheater bar and lifted the front suspension up a bit more to clear the dolly. Then I took the cheater bar and used it to help push the car up on the dolly.

With the car on the dolly I had to figure out how to tie it down. I took the ratchet-less strap and ran it through the suspension of the cart then ran it through the dolly’s ratchet and tightened it up. Jared tossed a wheel strap over the drivers side and we were off.

For a short distance.

The ramps were dragging. We forgot lock the tilt back down. So I climbed up on the hood of the car while Jared tightened it up.

Once we got moving again it took it about a mile to start to drag again. The car had shifted backwards on the no tire side. We pulled it back up with the come-along and then tried a different way of strapping it down. Then I hooked the come-along to the tow dolly's little foot rest loop and to the bumper of the car and tightening it up. Then I cut about half the excess of the ratchet-less strap and tied the come-along to the dolly so it couldn't fall off if it came loose.

It worked perfect.

Then about 15 miles later the left rear on the car blew out.

So on the side of the interstate we took the front drivers side tire off and swapped it with the now tireless rim on the back. The aftermarket rims it had on it were way too big for the car an d only cleared the springs by about 1/16 of an inch. With the car sitting cockeyed on the dolly it rubbed. I had to beat the inner fender back away from the tire where it got bent in the blowout.

It made no sense to put the bare rim back on the front so I gave it a bit of thought and then had an idea.

I took the half of the ratchet-less strap I cut off and tied a loop in one end then took the hook off the synthetic winch cable that I keep in the truck just in case I need to pull something that is way out in a field and put it on the loop. Then I hooked it up just like the other side through the tow dolly’s ratchet.

After all that mess I looked at the time and it was 1:45. No way I was going to get home take a shower and get to the doc. I called Steph and told her to call and reschedule. However, since she is having pain in her foot she took my appointment and made me a new one.

When I pulled in the driveway I was greeted by Carmel and Diesel who had escaped from their pen for the 4th time in a week.

Slightly frustrated I fixed the pen again where they had torn the fence up and then Jared and I took the Chrysler New Yorker that fought us all the way home apart. Then we took it to the scrap yard where it fought us just a little bit more.

The lug nuts refused to come off the rear tires. I have no idea what the deal was, but they did not want to let go. Finally Jared said they were all off and the guy lifted the car up for us to snatch the wheels off. Jared yelled that his tire wouldn't come off. I went around the car and he slapped himself in the forehead. He left a lug nut on. I told the guy to set it back down and told him what happened and I thought he was going to fall out of the loader laughing.

Blissfully I collected my pile of cash and we headed home.

I tried to cool down a bit and Jared jumped on the Hemorrhoid to cut some more. I poured down about 3 quarts of water. About 20 minutes later, as I was getting ready to step in the shower, Jared came in and said that I was going to be mad. I asked him what he ran over and he said a bunch of wire. I told him to just park it and we would fix it tomorrow.

I am too tired to work on it tonight.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#1043 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Sounds like a "5 gallons of sweat" day!  I did some scrapping today myself, but lots easier for me.  Got the Cat 910 loader & lifted up my old parts 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee on my 16' trailer.  Tomorrow I'll fill the back end with several hundred more pounds of steel.   Then hoping to have time to go get my wad of cash!   

• KennyP said thank you

#1044 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,667 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Willie, I can understand the frustration of not having all you need with you! Glad you could 'make-do"!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1045 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I forgot I took this pic. The PO of this car was an awesome customizerenginepaint.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#1046 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I forgot I took this pic. The PO of this car was an awesome customizerattachicon.gifenginepaint.jpg

Rad man....just rad!   :rolling:

• UncleWillie said thank you

#1047 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Rad man....just rad!   :rolling:

And it looks much better in the pics.

#1048 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:20 PM

And it looks much better in the pics.

Cool!

#1049 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Here's my load so far, with more in the weeds to go yet.

DSC00007.JPG DSC00006.JPG

#1050 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:38 PM

I didn't know there was a town named Waco in NC. Still enjoying reading your posts.