• Please log in to reply
4318 replies to this topic

#1021 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hope your dad comes out of this O.K., Willie. Seems we're all getting "wake up calls" these days. The hard part is paying attention to them.

• Craig. and Team_Green have said thanks

#1022 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 03:27 PM

glad to hear your dad is home again

#1023 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Not a bad day for a soggy one.

My back was killing me last night so I didnt sleep all that good. I tried to sleep in but that dammed phone again. Next time I want to sleep in that phone is going in the toilet.

When I finally dragged myself out of the bed and made a pot of life it was nearly noon. I think I had slept all of 4 hours.

Jared and I started to watch a movie and then the phone rang again. A guy in Granite Falls had a car he wanted to sell. So Jared went out and unhooked the Neon we got yesterday from the tow dolly and we left for Hickory – again.

We drove in and out of rain all the way up there. The rivers and creeks are waaaaay up.

The guy lived down a long narrow one lane gravel road. It was fun going down.

Things were great till we got to the guys house and then I realized that I didn't go to the bank to get money. So I unhooked the tow dolly and left it in his yard while we went to find an ATM.

Once we got back to the guys house it took very little time to get hooked up and on the road. The approaching rain storm didn't slow us down.

I had to use 4wd to get back out of the road he lived on with the Stratus in tow. It was down hill all the way in and uphill all the way out. (funny how that works )

We had planned to go to an off road race tomorrow but with all the rain it got ruled out on the way home.

Once we got home and sloshed our way through the yard we came in the house and watched movies for the rest of the day.

At this rate when the rain clears up I will have 10 cars in the yard.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1024 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 08:44 PM

70's temp today, and 3 1/2" rain here so far and still funneling up from the gulf.   Been raining for 42hrs straight at this point.  Mud as deep as your legs can go! This time last year it was over 100 degrees, and dry as talcum powder.  

• Craig., HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#1025 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:28 AM

That's all we have had here too since Wednesday is Rain.  I think we have had some where around 4-5".  When they put in my shop the one of the things I asked about was water getting into the shop.  Shaun (who did the grading) said said when he was done I would not have any problem with water intrusion and he was right.  I'm ready for the rain to end for a while though.

• Craig., KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#1026 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I thought our gauge went to 5", but Teresa said it ran over at 4" last night.  Looks like 4 1/2" so far and more a coming.  Right now in a small spot free of rain.

• KennyP said thank you

#1027 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Fun stuff today.

I was awakened at 6am by some idiot calling to ask if we were open. I just hung up on him. Couldn't go back to sleep though.

So after laying in bed for a while I got up and made coffee and watched tv for a while.

After a while Jared and I went out and tinkered with the Neon.

First thing we did was put up the pop up canopy to block the sun. It was full of fire ants. He and I both go eaten up. We had to move it away from the car and spray it off with the hose.

Once that was taken care of I took an small inline fuel pump and put it on the fuel line and hooked it to a switch. Nothing happened. No fuel. I tinkered with that for a while and then told Jared to go get a jack. Just as he got the rear of the car up in the air my friend Tim came over with a puppy he found asking if I wanted it. I said no.

He talked to Jared and Steph while I crawled under the Neon. I found that the genius PO had cut the fuel lines at the tank. So I spliced them back together and then purged the air from the lines and it started right up.

After we picked up the tools I let him drive around the back roads. He did good. Not much in the middle of nowhere he can hit. We only saw one other car.

It started to cloud up and look nasty so we headed home and got inside just barely in time to stay dry.

Jared called him mom and asked if he could bring the puppy home with him and she said yes so if Tim has not found a home for it yet we will go get it and I will spend the summer house breaking it and training it for him.

During dinner our other cat Bug went into labor. She isn't sure what to do. She is trying to pick up Shadows kittens and carry them around. Poor thing is confused. Maybe by morning we will have more cats UGH> :hitting_self_roller: :tapping_fingers:

• olcowhand, Craig., WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#1028 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:17 PM

IT has been a busy couple of days.

Yesterday Jared and I went out and took a Drudge Stratus apart to go to the scrap yard this morning. We wound up dodging rain storms to get it done.

Then we cleaned up some stuff in the yard and then tried to get the Neon running again so we could drive down to Tim's house and get a puppy that he found in the road in the pouring rain. The Neon refused to start again so we gave up and went down to Tim's house in Christine.

Jared is going to take the pup back to Arizona with him at the end of the summer so we are getting him trained and well behaved. Little guy loves to ride in the truck.

IMG_20130707_193818_976.jpg

I have to have some space in the yard so as I laid in bed last night not sleeping I did some thinking on what needed to leave. It was a hard decision but I finally decided to let the WarBeast go. She has been sitting in the yard for about 2 years and I haven't had time to fix her and she needs a lot of work since I wore her slap out hauling scrap.

So this morning we got the Neon off to scrap while Steph started to clean the WarBeast out.

I had to run by Buddy's house to drop off the license plate off the Bonneville. I took a look at the Honda Odyssey they bought this weekend. It is a nice little vehicle.

When we got home we started to get serious taking all my modifications out of the WarBeast – back up camera, dvd player, custom built console, onboard air system, miles of wiring, backup lights, stereo and a bunch of other stuff. Tomorrow I still have to pull out the toolbox and airc ompressor and air bags and it should be almost back to stock. It is sad to see her go but I know I got my money out of her.

Then I got an email from a woman who wanted me to come up at 430 to get a Ford Explorer.

SO Jared and I headed out in the BlueOx and drove up on top of a mountain in Valdese to get it. Of course they weren't home. We sat on the road for about 45 minutes and I decided to leave them a note and go home. As soon as I had the note written they pulled up.

Obviously they aren't hurting for money. They had a brand new Jeep, and a BMW roadster in the driveway and they pulled up in a new Mercedes roadster.

They did have a good excuse for being late though. The log cabin caught on fire and it burned up thier deck and one of the outer walls. They are going to have to replace some of the logs so they are going to move into thier house in Morganton ( yeah again not hurting for money). They went up to get teh house ready and they found out that someone had broken in to it and changed the locks on the doors. SO they were calling the bank(to make sure the bank hadn't done it for some reason), police, locksmiths and it tied up a couple hours of their time. The cops are keeping an eye on the house.

The view up there was spectacular though.

IMG_20130708_171802_804.jpg

IMG_20130708_171759_513.jpg

The driveway was steep and I figured the Exploder would roll down the hill and up on the tow dolly. Not so. It rolled down the hill and as soon as it hit the pavement it stopped.

Out came the comealong and we got it winched up on the dolly and headed out.

Up and down some very steep hills with the Exploder in tow.

On the way home something happened to the Furd because the back tires locked up for a second and I thought we were going to loose it. Whatever happened was a one time thing.

We finally got it home and I came in to some pulled pork BBQ.

Tomorrow I get to finish up the WarBeast and then go to Charlotte to get a car and then go back up to my buddy's body shop and mow his grass.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#1029 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 07:00 PM

It only hurts when I breathe.

Today was one of those frustrating days where things went right, just not right enough.

Since I didn't sleep but about 3 hours all weekend and I was able to get to sleep last night I slept in till 930 this morning. When I got up Steph and Heath had left to go to story time at the library.

I got up and started to get dressed. I found shirts and boxers and nothing else. I looked everywhere. In the closet. Dresser, washer, dryer, dirty clothes hamper, freezer. Nothing. So I tried to call her. She didn't answer. I called for almost an hour and she didn't answer. Finally I got a text that she had no signal where she was. I texted her to get to a signal and waited for 30 more minutes for her to call back.

On her way home from the library she had decided to go down to the river (which she has been told repeatedly to not do by herself). I told her to get home immediately and hung up. I was a bit to irritated to trust myself to say more.

She got home and I asked where my clothes were. They were in the back bathroom. The one room of the house where clothes have no business being.

Finally dressed, Jared and I headed out to finish taking the WarBeast apart. I was working on getting the he airbags pulled out of it and then my phone rang. My buddy, Tim, and his wife had taken the motorcycle out and it broke down. So I told Jared to get the Exploder off the tow dolly and get the dolly off the truck. I Finished the airbags then we went down to Tim’s to get his little trailer because mine is loaded.

We got Time an Beth rescued and took them home and as we were leaving an ambulance pulled into his mom and step dads driveway. I backed back up to Tim's house to make sure he knew. He said his Step dad had called the ambulance to take him to the hospital for his gout. I guess since he is the most unlikable person on earth no one will drive him.

We got back home and I started to pull the third row seating mounts out of the WarBeast. There was something that I needed to look at the BlueOx and see what all I needed so I crawled up in it to take a peak. When I crawled back out I did something wrong. I had stepped out with my right foot and as soon as I put all my weight on it it turned cracked and I went down like a sack of bricks. It hurt. For a minute I thought I had broke it.

I managed to get painfully up off the ground and discovered that I had wrenched my back too.

I finally managed to the the seat mounts cut out and got the rest of the stuff out of the truck, by which time I was sore and not happy.

Then the truck did not want to go up on the tow dolly. It took way too much time to get it loaded so I said screw it and we all came inside. I took a shower and made it to the bed.

Now I am laying on the bed feeling like I was stepped on by a dinosaur wearing golf shoes. Every time Heath gets on the bed he makes a point to fall on my ankle.

I am sure that tomorrow I will feel terrific.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1030 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 01:15 AM

Sorry to hear of the pain. Hope today finds you better!

#1031 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Oh man did u make me cringe, about ur ankle and back. I hope you heal up soon and back to normal.

#1032 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 10:03 AM

I hope the hat isn't down for the count.

• Craig. and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1033 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 07:03 PM

The hat lives!!!!!

Ben a busy busy few days. The kind that I came in a collapsed into a puddle of stinky sweaty human flesh in the living room floor when I got home.

Wednesday morning I got up and came to life with a little chemical help.

smallcupajoe.jpg

Then the WarBeast went off to the scrap yard. It was sad but she did her job. Now maybe whatever she is turned into will have some of her tenacity.

When we got home we Loaded up the Exploder and got it off to the crusher.

Then Jared and I went up to get a friend, Grady, to go down to Sc to get a Jeep Cherokee that had been smashed. Supposedly it was hit at 25 MPH.

IMG_20130711_155926_751.jpg IMG_20130711_155943_816.jpg

It was a long drive to get it and we got home about 5:00.

Once we got the Jeep apart I was so tired I couldn’t see straight and we came in at around 730.

Thursday morning we got up early and I had some more of my favorite stimulant and we were off and running.

The Jeep went to the scrap yard and then we went to pick up a load of small stuff and then headed home.

We spent the rest of the day trying to work around the rain showers till I fell out in the floor at some late hour. Jared was tired too.

IMG_20130708_214738_530.jpg

Then came Friday morning.

I can't remember exactly what we did but we were busy all morning doing something???? I was tired.

Around noon we hooked the tow dolly back up and headed off to Newton to get a Dodge Stratus. Back home we pulled it off the dolly and Jared drove it around the field till it exploded.

When I got home I found an extra dog pen in the yard with a friends pit bull in it. They had their rental house sold out from under them and had no where for their dogs to go. While Jared and I took the Stratus apart he brought a second pen and the other pit. They are real sweethearts. I actually forget they are there until I make noise and they bark for a minute or two.

While Jared was busy destroying the Stratus I got the Dodge Neon up on the ramp and started tearing it apart. Once that was done we loaded it up on the dolly and then put the disabled stratus on the ramps to take it apart.

At about 800 we staggered in the house.

On Saturday we kicked into high gear and I was gone from the house at 745am. The Neon went to the scrap yard first while Steph and Jared got the big trailer ready for us to tow to Charlotte.

When I got back from the scrap yard we got the Stratus hooked up and Jared and I left again. Got paid for the scrap cars and then we came home to get the small trailer to get to a regular pickup that we had to be at before 11am. With that pickup made we retraced our steps back to the house where my biddy Tim was waiting to go to Charlotte with us.

Steph and Jared got the big trailer hooked up and all of us loaded up in the BlueOx to go to the Queen city.

We got to a friends transmission shop who was working on Tims transmission for his one ton Ford. He got busy and wasn't finished, but we sold him our pile of catalytic converters and then went to the Chicken Box to get some good soul food. We go back Monday to get the trans.

Fried chicken livers, collard greens, fried okra, and cornbread. I swear if that place was any closer we would all weigh 400 pounds.

I called the place I was supposed to make a pickup at in Lake Wylie and someone else had showed up and got it. He thought it was me. No big deal it saved me a drive down there.

So we headed back home. Jared started to mow the field while I came in and made some phone calls, Heath went down for a nap and Steph went to the store. .

True to its name the old hemorrhoid messed up. For some reason it quit running and no longer will go into reverse. I will have to look at it later.

When Steph got back we unloaded the small trailer and hooked it up to Christine and Jared and I left to get a tractor.

A short hop up to Granite Falls and a fun time backing the squirrely little trailer up a very steep driveway (and lots of clutch smoke later) we had arrived.

The guy had an AYP built Husqvarna that he said would run but it was stuck in gear. I pulled the release for the hydrostatic trans and it rolled. He hooked up jumper cables to it and it started right up and I drove it, 4 flat tires and all, up on the trailer. It has a good running 14 HP Kholer Command. It was worth the price.

Then we rolled over to the middle of Hickory and picked up a load of misc scrap.

And I dropped my phone and shattered it. Any texts I got about work are lost forever.

Hickory is an interesting city. All the street names are a jumble. On one road we drove down there were no less that 9 different 10th streets. There was 10th st. 10th St NW, 10th ST NW Blvd, and even a 10th st BLVD CIR NW. As you can guess we were a bit lost without my GPS on the phone. Jared had his phone and managed to navigate us back to the main road where we made our way home.

I was beyond exhausted.

I started to search for a phone on Ebay and Craigslist. I could go to Verizon and get this one fixed, but they would want me to renew my contract for another 2 years. As soon as our contracts are up we are leaving Verizon and going to straight talk so I don't want to do that.

I finally found an auction that was ending Sunday and was just up the road in Lincolnton. So I set it to watch the auction.

Then a large glass of Makers Mark got me ready for bed.

Then came today.

I didn't roll out of bed till noon and I don't feel one bit bad about it.

After I had a drop of joe

coffeegod.gif

Jared and I jumped in Christine and headed to York SC to get a large box of tools. For $150 I got all kinds of stuff.

While we were gone Steph was in Auction Command Central watching that phone. I got it for $83.

Once Jared and LittleFox and I had the tools loaded we headed straight up to Lincolnton to wait for the phone guy in Wal-Mart's parking lot.

Finally I got home and blissfully fell into my office chair to begin to get all my stuff on this new phone. I found out that it had a much larger SIM card than the old one but through the magic of scotch tape I managed to get the smaller on in there and working.

I have most of my apps reinstalled except for one that searched Craigslist and is no longer available and I cannot get it off the old phone. Oh well. I will find another app.

SO now that the pork chops that Steph cooked are a memory I finally had time to sit down and type this epistle.

Tomorrow I get to go back to Charlotte.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 14, 2013 - 07:03 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1034 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Dang!  Just reading that makes me tired.  You been BUSY!

#1035 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 11:38 PM

IMG_0844.JPG Ain't that the truth! Far busier than this Olde boy ever wants to be again. Been there, done that, going to smell the flowers for a while now.
  • Craig. said thank you