• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 09:09 PM

What do you consider a scorcher? I have worked through many days like this. Inside the shop and out side in the shade. Humidity make it feel like 120. Summer has arrived in Central TX.

Love your posts Willie!

No thanks Larry, I'll pass on those temps!  Humidity here has been running 60 to 80+%, but still better than even a dry 105!

#1007 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Larry.. send me your 110 for a few weeks please... 

#1008 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Anything that makes me sweat buckets is a scorcher. Once you get above 90 with high humidity it is hot.

#1009 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:54 PM

What do you consider a scorcher? I have worked through many days like this. Inside the shop and out side in the shade. Humidity make it feel like 120. Summer has arrived in Central TX.

Love your posts Willie!

Larry, I think you have way to much humidity. The plywood is even de laminating in the 3rd photo.

Too hot me. I'd be inside with the AC blasting.

#1010 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:44 AM

I'd love a scorcher it seems like its rained every day for the last 2 weeks here. been wantin to go to the junkyard and get a fender for my truck.

#1011 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Doing good here so far. Temp between 70s & 80s and lately rain every night. Much better then last year for sure.

#1012 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Not a bad day at all.

After Jared and I had our morning cup of radiation we went out and got started poking around with the tractors. It was a bit of a late start because I was waiting on a phone call that never came about getting a car.

After shuffling some stuff around I got the Dyanmark and the Hemorrhoid under the carport and got to work shuffling tires around.

As soon as Jared took the first tire off the Dynamark I knew it wasn't going to work. I have no idea what those wheels are off of but they are for a huge spindle. The PO had put brass bushings and a piece of PVC pipe in them to space it out.

SO we took the front tires off of both tractors and went to the tire shop.

Since the fronts on the Dyanmark were filled iw had to drain them – which consisted on taking the valve stems and me sitting on them one at a time until they were empty. Jared found this completely hilarious.

After mounting the AG tires on the Hemorrhoid rims we discovered a problem. Dry rot thru the sidewalls. So we headed up to TSC to buy some super expensive tubes. Got one for each front tire and one for the DragonFly since it has been wearing mismatched shoes for quite a while.

When we got back we got the tubes put in and I dipped into my stash of Methyl-antifreeze to fill both tires.

While I was doing that Jared went thru my wheel and tire pile and found a set to put on the front of the Dynamark.

After we had the fronts on we tackled the rears. Then put the weights back on the Hemorrhoid.

Then I was finally able to level the mowing deck for the first time this season. The other ag tires were tall enough that it wouldn’t adjust.

IMG_20130701_170406_962.jpg

IMG_20130701_170412_709.jpg

IMG_20130701_170416_897.jpg

IMG_20130701_170622_270.jpg

With that done I tossed the Case front weights that I am going to put on the rear of the DragonFly in the bed of Christine and we drove down to a buddy's house that has his own machine shop and dropped them off so he can slot them out so they will work on my wheels.

We came home and I got in the shower and removed about 8 pounds of red clay.

Waiting on supper.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1013 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like you two had a good day together. I do envy your front grill, it sure makes it POP. :D

#1014 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Man the bilge pumps.

Last night my back was hurting and I couldn't sleep very well so I tried to sleep in this morning.

Phone woke me up this morning with a friend of mine, Reid, calling to say that he wanted me to bring him one of the tractor tires to see if he had cut enough out of the weight to make the valve stem work. I sleepily told him I would be there later and kinda nodded back off.

I got a text from a guy about a Lowe's LT asking if I was interested. I told him I was and tried to nod back off.

Then the phone rang again with another friend, Scott, calling to say he borrowed a truck and it broke down and he needed to get it back to the guy he got it from. So we all went into action. Steph made coffee. Jared and I got dressed. Heath slept.

With a thermos of coffee in hand Jared and I jumped in the BlueOx, car doll in tow and headed out.

Scott was at the animal shelter in Dallas NC where the truck died. We drove in and out of the rain to get there. We got hooked up and headed to Belmont to drop the truck and Scott off.

He gave me $40 and Jared and I headed home.

Once we got home we dropped the tow dolly and pulled a tire off the DragonFly. Then Jared pulled the BlueOx around front and hooked it up to the small trailer.

Then we ran in the house to get out of the quickly approach storm. And it did storm.

So Jared, Heath, and I sat in the office and watched Monster Jam Freestyle 13. Heath was mesmerized.

Finally the rain let up and Jared and I left. I let him drove down to Reids. It is all lightly traveled back roads. Only saw 2 cars the whole way there. He did good. He does like to work the steering wheel a bit much. Experience will fix that though.

When we got to Reids and put the weight on the wheel I felt like an idiot. I tried to hold it up to the wheel on the tractor. With the wheel off the tractor it was obvious that notching it wasn’t going to work.

It would have to be cut almost all the way through to work.

DSCF5049.JPG

DSCF5051.JPG

He did have a better idea though. I need to find some long metal valve stems and bend them slightly to put the weights on.

Maybe I should have taken him a wheel at the beginning.

Oh well.

Then it started to pour again and I vetoed the drive to get the tractor. I called the guy and said we would come tomorrow.

We came back home and finished watching Monster Jam and now Jared is in the floor playing games in my office.

Heath is running around the house getting every hat or bucket he can find and putting it on his head then giving it to me to put on mine.

DSCF5047.JPG

DSCF5048.JPG

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1015 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Glad Jared got to 'Captain' the BlueOx a bit. Sounds like a soggy day down there!

#1016 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Brief update. I am tired.

Woke up this morning to a barrage of phone calls and text messages so I staggered to the kitchen for a pot of stamina and greeted the day.

About the third call I got was from my brother telling me that my father had to go the ER with chest pains. He has 50% blockage in 3 arteries, but they expect him to make a full recovery. I got several dozen text messages through out the day with updates on his condition. Made for an exhausting day.

Another one of the calls I got was about an old ad I put up wanting computer hard drives. I wanted the magnets out of them. The guy said he worked for some computer software company and they had a ton of old drives. He wanted $2 each for them and I told them I wouldn't pay that much. He still wanted to meet so I told him when I got back from Hickory I would call him to meet.

Out of all they phone calls that woke me up the one I was waiting for never happened so I made other plans and Jared and I went to Hickory to get a Lowe's tractor.

On the way up the hard drive guy called again saying he was at Hardee's in Belmont. I told him I was 40 miles away and would call him later when I was on the way.

Just before we got there I got a text from a guy about some scrap metal that was close to the tractor guy so after we had the LT loaded we headed 10 minutes away to get some scrap.

There was a perfectly good 20 foot extension latter in the load so basically I paid for a ladder and got some misc scrap for free.

The hard drive guy called again. I told him I was still not home.

Then we stopped by my friend Mikes garage to introduce Jared and after a brief BS session we headed home.

I spent a little time sitting in my recliner then all of us loaded up in the BlueOx and headed to meet the hard drive guy.

He came way down on his price.

Then we went by the Chinese buffet and pigged out.

Finally we came home where Jared and I got to tearing apart hard drives to harvest the aluminum and the magnets.

Not a bad day. But it rained almost the whole time.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 03, 2013 - 08:26 PM.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1017 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Just seems that putting the tires on backwards and then the valve stems would be on the inside. Then you wouldn't have to deal with the long valve stems.

#1018 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:12 PM

The wont work backwards  due to the backspacing.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 03, 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#1019 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 10:34 AM

It has been raining here all day yesterday and today. :mad2:   and it is supposed to rain pretty much through the weekend. :wallbanging:

#1020 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 11:04 PM

Today it rained.

Like yesterday, today was started by the ringing of the telephone. After ignoring 3 calls I finally lumbered into the kitchen and made a pot of life. Once my heart began to beat I got dressed and pput on my waders and Jared and I wandered into the wet outdoors.

After we hooked the tow dolly up to the BlueOx we headed off to Lenoir to get a car.

The drive was a constant in and out of rain all the way there. Finally a drive down a winding narrow two lane road and we arrived at the house where we were getting the car.

With no place to park in the yard and enough mud to mire down a monster truck I had to park on the street. Since we were between two curves it was as safe as I could get on that road, With the strobe light and hazards flashing we got to pushing the car out of the yard and loading it up.

As I was putting the magnetic lights on top of the car I heard an engine approaching in a big hurry. I looked up just in time to see a clapped out 80 Toyota Camry come around the bend and lock up the passengers front brake. Evidently the other three didn’t work.

The driver then floored it and went into the oncoming lane to come around me. I yelled for him to slow down. He yelled back that he would kick my butt. (not quite his words). Then after he passed the truck he pulled into a driveway around the corner and stopped. I simply stood beside the truck and watched him. After one more time telling me I was a great guy he backed out and sped off. I have a feeling that alcohol was involved.

Once all the drama was over we headed to Northern Tools to get some torx bits. While we were there I found a nice ratcheting breaker bar that I can use to tighten the tow dolly’s straps with.

Another drive in and out of rainstorms, good views of 5 crashes and we got home.

When I pulled in the driveway the tow dolly pushed me sideways and I nearly slid into Christine. I was able to jerk it into 4wd and power thru the skid and barely miss it. My yard is a complete swamp.

After we came inside the rain really let loose and Jared and I took turns playing Command and Conquer on the computer and disassembling hard drives. I think we got about 20 or so done. Heath came in and played with everything we took apart. He was having a blast.

Dinner was a succulent piece of salmon, potatoes, and chocolate cheesecake.

They sent by dad home today with a prescription, orders to exercise, and eat better. I am sure my mom will nag him back to health in no time.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks