4297 replies to this topic

#976 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm glad things are going good with ur son. Oh ya I'm all caught up on this thread finally lol

#977 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Must be the 'Hat' is floating on top of yer head!!   :bigrofl:

Here's a pic:

ron-guttman-floating-hat.jpg

• Craig. said thank you

#978 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Willie in a Bow Tie! :oh_shucks:

• KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#979 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't even own a tie. Well I do have some zip ties.

• Earl said thank you

#980 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Driving my life away – again.

After Jared and I had our coffee this morning we went out into the not quite so hot incredibly humid day to make some money.

We started by stuffing the Saturn with everything we could find to put in it and then headed down to the scrap yard to unload it.

I was going to buy us a drink on the way down till I opened my wallet and found that a money eating varmint named Stephanie had lightened it.

At the yard we wasted no time unloading and leaving with a fistful of dollars (WaaaaaaAHhaaaWaaaaaAhyaaaaa) and headed home.

We got down to the business of loading batteries into Christine and then headed off to the battery guy. A few dollars more (Waaawaaayaaaa) and we were off again. A couple of back roads and we were home.

I let him shift gears. He was getting pretty good at knowing when to shift by the time we got home.

I had a bunch of stiff to list on CL so I got busy with that while he played with Heath.

All too soon I had to take him back to his Grandmothers. ON the way there we stopped to drop a flash drive off at Buddy's house ( his 12 year old daughter loves to write but had no way to back up her books so I bought her a $5 flash drive) and Christine decided to puke out a large amount of water.

I popped the hood and found that Steph didn't get the cap back on all the way when she checked the level. 2 gallons of water later and we were off again.

I had a heavy heart when I dropped him off. He will be back in a few days.

Back at home I started to search CL looking for a car for Buddy. We have decided that at 200K if we fix the engine in his Bonneville it will just break again somewhere else. He is looking for a minivan or an SUV.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#981 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:26 AM

I let him shift gears. He was getting pretty good at knowing when to shift by the time we got home.

Boy, I remember my Dad letting me shift gears on the truck sometime when I was in my early teens.  He' let me hold the steering wheel to as long as we were out in the country.  Even though I got to drive the tractor by myself, even though I got to ride the motorcycle on the farm by myself, it still meant a lot to be able to do that.  Kudos to you Willie!

#982 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:02 AM

driving from the passenger seat was always fun for me too

#983 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't even own a tie. Well I do have some zip ties.

LOL

#984 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well I may be through for the day.

And again maybe not.

Monday evening when I took Jared back to his grandmothers I got out of Christine and lost my balance. I grabbed the steering wheel and made a telescoping column. IF you pulled out on the steering wheel it started and if you pushed in it shut off. Made it real 65 mile round trip entertaining.

Yesterday I got out to work on it and thought it was just the tilt mechanism that had worked loose. It wasn't. I broke something in the column. So Christine sat because I didn't have another complete column.

So this morning I called my friends and asked them if they were sure they were not going to fix the Bonneville. When I pulled the plugs this is what I found.

They said that they agreed with me that it wasn't worth fixing and said to crush it. SO Steph and I went out while Heath was napping and got to work on it.

45 minutes, 3 quarts of home made sports drink, and a some very sweaty clothes later and we were done.

Then I headed out to get rid of the pesky BlackBeast. It is really a shame they didn't take better care of it because it was a nice car when the y bought it.

The BlackBeast did not give up without a fight.

Usually when I get to the scrap yard I put the parking brake on the car I am towing on, take it out of gear and pull the dolly out from under it.

It didn't come out of gear. I guess I must have dropped something in the linkage when I was teking stuff apart. Finally wrestled it out of gear and it took off with me beside the open door running to keep from getting squashed. The parking brake didn't hold.

Finally got the tires off of it and strapped on the tow dolly and then I grabbed my cash and headed to the U-pull-it yard in Shelby.

When I got almost there I noticed that two of the BlackBeasts wheels were gone. I turned around and went looking for them. They were in a guys front yard. He said I went up the hill and about 5 seconds later the tires came down.

I got them strapped back down with a mighty vengance. Seems that little car had a lot of fight in it. Then went back to the junk yard.

After about 20 minutes of crawling over cars ( they had them so close together you couldn’t just walk – you have to be half gorilla to get through) I found a good column and pulled it out. Then I climbed back out and paid for it.

Finally I climbed back in the BlueOx, drenched in sweat and covered in grease, and headed home – where it is pouring rain.

If it lets up I will go out and swap the columns. If not I will do it tomorrow.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#985 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Wow what a day you had. I would have been done after losing my balance. :urock:

#986 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Willie's putting some fancy in his video!  

#987 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Update: Christine is  now fixed.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#988 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I had a 1988 Ford Tores that I had to replace something in the steering wheel. While exiting the Luby's in Kileen (yes that one) I was crossing 4 lanes, to do a u-turn under a under pass and the steering wheel popped off (where is my un-happy smiliee?) any how I pushed it back on to make the manuver, but there is a heavy spring in there requireing forse to keep the wheel enguaged. It was a 15 mile drive home, and I think i perminately damaged my shoulder mussles.   

Edited by larrybl, June 26, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#989 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Glad to hear you got her up and running again.

If you ever get tired of junking, you should do your own reality show!! Great video !!

Instead of "2 Guys Garage", it should be "1 Guys Shade Tree"

It would be a hit !!

• backwoods said thank you

#990 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I had a 1988 Ford Tores that I had to replace something in the steering wheel. While exiting the Luby's in Kileen (yes that one) I was crossing 4 lanes, to do a u-turn under a under pass and the steering wheel popped off (where is my un-happy smiliee?) any how I pushed it back on to make the manuver, but there is a heavy spring in there requireing forse to keep the wheel enguaged. It was a 15 mile drive home, and I think i perminately damaged my shoulder mussles.   

IF you were having to push it down the retaining clip escaped. That spring is not that big but it has a bijillion pounds of compression on it. Changed the new steering column to the old lock cyl and broke the wing nut on  my lock spring compressor. At least I got it back  together. I will find a nut to put on the compressor.

• larrybl and Craig. have said thanks