wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Another day another bijillion miles.

Got up this morning and enjoyed a cup of weapons grade coffee then grabbed my thermos and went out the door at 9am. My friend Tim needed to take a couple of transmissions up to another friend of mines shop. He had them loaded up in his 80s Nissan truck that has Oldsmobile seats in it that I gave him.

When I got in the passengers seat my head was crammed against the roof. We decided to go in Christine. After swapping the transmissions over to Christine with the gantry crane we got on our way.

Made good time up to Charlotte and dropped off the Furd parts to be rebuilt and shot the breeze with my buddy who owns the shop, then looked around his small junk yards for any vehicle parts we couldn't live with then went to get lunch.

We went to the Midnight Diner and each got a bowl of jambalaya and a beer and sat and talked for a while.

Then we got back in the truck and headed to get a push mower about 2 miles from the diner.

ON the way I got a call about an Chevy Astro van that the guy wanted me to come pick up today.

After getting the mower and a gas can for free we headed up to Denver NC to get 2 Chuck the Truck Stunt Track sets for Heath. It is pretty cool. He will have to be a little older to be able to appreciate the track but he loves the little trucks that come with them. They are normally $30 each I got both for $12.

Then we stopped at one of my regular customers houses and picked up some misc steel he had and then headed to my house.

Got here at about 3pm. Sat and talked for a while then we had to get moving again.

Steph, Heath, and I jumped in the BlueOx and headed north up back roads to Statesville to get the van.

When we got to the guys house he wasn't there. I kept calling him and he didn't answer. At around 630 he called me and said his phone had died and he was on his way.

Finally got the van stuffed full of all the satellite dishes he had laying around (he is a satellite installer) and got it on the tow dolly. Then headed home.

At around 8pm we stopped at Hannahs BBQ in Lincolnton for dinner. Heath painted a lovely fresco on the window in mac and cheese. I left a nice tip. The waitress thought it was funny.

Finally got home. The yard is a swamp. Steph carried Heath in while I fired up the Hemorrhoid to move the gantry crane back out of the way.

Then I took a great chance. It is impossible to back up a vehicle on a tow dolly. I had to get the truck turned around so I crossed my fingers and went for it. When the BlueOx left the gravel it turned completely sideways. I stayed on the loud pedal and it finally straightened up and the van followed me just before I slid into the front porch.

Made it around the house and had just enough momentum to get back up into the driveway.

Now I have to cut the cat off tomorrow morning and it goes off to the crusher.

Long day but it was actually fun.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#889 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hay Willy, I pulled off the big Radio System switch over, still working on stragglers. One of the Sherriff employes had a 1970 Montgomery Wards Tiller, I asked what he wanted for it? Free, setting in my bay for pickup tomorrow. Yaa

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080882.JPG
  • P1080879.JPG
  • P1080880.JPG
  • P1080881.JPG

#890 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Nice Larry. Free is my favorite price.

Why you not in chat anymore.

• larrybl and Craig. have said thanks

#891 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:25 PM

Man you sure get to Statesville an awful lot lately.

Next time your there and you drive past the Papa Johns pizza, you can proudly say to yourself, "I know the great electrician who wired that store" : )

Did that one about 6 - 7 years ago I believe. New 400 amp service as well.

Statesville had their own electric company, which isn't something you see much anymore. I remember having to go to the city garage to get the metering equipment that you had to use, and they supplied it FREE. It was so nice dealing with a small local power company rather then the big ones.
Dealing with Duke power with other NC jobs wasn't real fun.

I liked the area around Statesville, seemed like a nice place to live. But I was only there on and off for a few weeks.

Edited by NJKen, June 07, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#892 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Nice Larry. Free is my favorite price.

Why you not in chat anymore.

Are you kiddin, been busy. Illl jump in therer now

#893 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:42 PM

I know it I feel like I should buy a house up there so I have somewhere to take off my shoes for a minute.

I have been past Papa John's and it hasn't burned down yet so I guess you did a good job

• KennyP and Team_Green have said thanks

#894 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Took the van to the scrap yard this morning. Haven't done anything but make phone calls since.even took time to lay on the couch.  Have to do some long overdue maintenance on the BlueOx tomorrow.  May be in bed early tonight.

#895 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Today’s activities called on account of rain.

Got up early this morning and made a pot of coffee. There was a knock at the door. Guys in hazmat suits said they were with the Nuclear Regulatory Agency and got satellite readings that there was a possible alternative power source here. I gave the two guys that came in a cup. They took off runnign down the street. Poor guy driving the black Suburban was having a hell of a time keeping up with them.

So I got started on the BlueOX. Had a whole laundry list of things to get done.

1. Fix exhaust leak.

2. Replace Hydro-boost unit.

3. Change oil

4. Finally install front driveshaft.

5. Change spark plug wires.

6. Change oil.

7. Change U joints on rear drive-shaft.

8. Check brakes.

Once I had the monster up in the air I threw a blanket under it and got to work. I celaned the threads for all the bolts for the front drive-shaft since it has been out for over a year. Then got the front u joint attached.

Heat went down for his morning nap and Steph came out to help. She got to work taking the rear drive-shaft out.

After I determined what size bolts I needed for the Front transfer case flange I made a note and then started on the Exhaust.

Passengers side had not flange doughnut in it anymore. And when I tired to loosen the flange all three bolts broke off. Off came the manifold and into the shop. I had to pull the tire to get to the manifold bolts and I noticed that the brake pads were almost down to metal so I added those to the list of stuff I needed to buy.

I helped Steph get the U joints out of the drive-shaft and then I pulled the hydro-boost unit off. It came off with no complications.

Got the bolts drilled out of the manifold and then took my list and climbed in Cristine and left.

Left Autozone in Cherryville $198 lighter and then went to Advance to get the manifold studs that AZ didn't have. Another $14 and I was off to AZ in Lincolnton to get the plug wires, exhaust manifold and flange gaskets that Cherryville didn't have. $23 more, Then a quick run to Lowe's where I got (blessedly) a cup of coffee at the contractors desk and then went in search of a 13/32Drill bit to install the helicoils in the exhaust. $5.88

Finally I headed home. Clouds were moving in.

Once I got all the parts out of Christine, Steph brought Heath out and put in behind the steering wheel. For over an hour he drove the little truck through wherever a 1 year olds imagination takes him.

I got on the manifold repair, drilling tapping and installing the studs.

IMG_20130609_152844_467.jpg

Steph was trying to figure out how to install the hydro-boost and to tell you the truth it kind of stumped me until I realized that the new one still had a Jeep backing plate on it. I swapped the backing plates while she got started on the front brakes.

When she got that side done I put the manifold on then the rain started.

I decided to quickly do the drivers side brakes so I went over and took it apart. Then I found that the caliper sliders on that side were fro sen and the brakes looked brand new. I haven’t noticed any pulling.

At that point the rain was really gathering some steam so we put tools up and headed inside.

IMG_20130609_163940_240.jpg IMG_20130609_163854_534.jpg

Heath is down for nap #2, Steph went to the store, I am here nursing my sore wallet. Poor little thing.

Hopefully all the parts are fixed now with the exception of the caliper and it will all go back together smoothly.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, June 09, 2013 - 05:04 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#896 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Whew I am worn down to a nub.

This morning I got up and made a pot of life. I accidentally spilled a drop on an ant. He spit and sputtered, coughed and gagged, Then he picked up the refrigerator and started to leave with it. I had to get the shotgun out to dissuade him of that notion.

We got back on the BlueOx again and made a lot of progress getting everything back together.

Got the brake calipers greased working right. Steph put both drive shafts back in.

I grabbed the replacement hydro-boost and found a problem. The brake rod on mine was 6 inches long. The replacement was 3 inches. There is no way to change them without destroying the rod. I spent about an hour online trying to find a solution. I was going to take it to the weld shop until I discovered that there is a tiny rubber seal on the rod that the heat would have destroyed so I nixed that idea.

I decided to put the old unit back in because I don't have an extra $150 for a new on right now. While I was putting it in I hit the gearshift and it popped out of gear. Not a good thing.

A little looking and I found that the front drive-shaft is touching the gear linkage. I got out the angle grinder and started working on it. Then it started to pour rain.

I retreated to the shop while Steph went inside.

I got a call from a customer who wanted me to come today. I told him that my truck was in pieces and I was trying to get it back together. He asked what I was doing and I told him about the hydro-boost. He said he would call me back. When he called back he had a new unit for $75. Awesome. It will be here at noon tomorrow.

When I finally let up I got back on the linkage.

After taking the shaft out, removing the linkage, going to the vice, grinding it down some, going back to the truck and putting it back together about 50 times I think I finally got it. I can't take anymore off the linkage. It barely touches in park and doesn't jump out of park when you hit it. I can live with that.

Then I pulled the leaky Hydro-boost back out and put it in Christine for the ride to pick up the new one.

Steph and Heath came out to pick up tools and sit in the shop with me for a while.

32ab43b6d22111e2bb3522000a1fb076_7.jpg

Over the baby monitor we kept hearing something. Cats were making some unholy racket. We both figured that Bug had gotten too close to Shadows kittens. When Steph went in I heard her yell at Bug. Then she called me on the radio and told me that the cats had eaten all the pork roast. At least we all got to eat this time.

So now it is time to relax and enjoy my weekend cigar that I didn't get to enjoy this weekend.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#897 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,212 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Can you do me a faver and get rid of the death ramps?

• Team_Green said thank you

#898 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Nothing wrong with those ramps. They will hold the weight of the back just fine. No way I would put them under the front though.

#899 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Can you do me a faver and get rid of the death ramps?

What is the matter with the poly ramps? I've got a pair of the Blitz brand that are rated for 8000lbs. I use them to change the oil on my Suburban and Crew Cab K2500 every time. They don't rust, bend or slide around the way the metal ones do.

#900 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Those ramps are rated at 8000 pounds, but I put the front of a 1/2 ton 4wd Suburban on them and I saw them flex. NO way the front of the K2500 is going up there. Since all 4 tires were on the truck while I was under it there was no danger. I can safely lay under the truck with it on the ground, it just gets uncomfortable real fast. To keep them from sinking they are sitting on 3/4 inch plywood as are the jack and jack stand.

After all the climbing, pulling, hammering and everything else that went on the truck never moved once. With the old metal ramps I had there was a lot of flex. One day the flex became flat ramps went to the scrap yard looking more like walk boards. The metal ramp had slipped off the plywood when I drove a truck up. These plastic ramps have a lot of material holding on to the plywood and don't move at all.

I have too much to do to be in the hospital when  truck falls on my head.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks