Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Adventures Of My New Hat

• Please log in to reply
4302 replies to this topic

#751 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Glad your getting it worked out Willie!  You do better then I do on the mental notes.  I make a mental note and promptly forget about it and then find it 2 days later!  :wallbanging:

#752 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Most of my mental notes get run thru the washer and when I find them they are blank.

• HDWildBill and Team_Green have said thanks

#753 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Productive day.

Last night at about 2am we were laying in bed watching TV and we heard an unholy crash outside. I got up and got dressed and went out in the rain to see what it was and found nothing. It sounded like my carport had collapsed so I checked all the neighbors carports and they were all still standing so I came in and dried off and went back to bed.

After my first cup of coffee this morning I dressed and waded outside and still couldn't find anything. So with that mystery unsolved I got started on the Pony again. I took a ride down to AutoZone with both blowby hoses and they had nothing. So I went to NAPA. The guy looked at them for a minute and then a big smile appeared. He walked to the back and came out with an adapter.

Once I got back home I had to shorten the adapter and it worked perfect.

After getting the wiring finished up I started it up for a test.

Word to the wise – Never start an unmuffled engine in a small shop without hearing protection. My ears rang for 30 minutes. But it runs.

As I was putting the muffler on I got a call from a guy up in Hickory that had a Honda CRX that he wanted me to come pickup. Steph was at the store so I called her and told her to shag it back home.

Ghe came in and we pushed the S10 we got yesterday off the trailer and then headed up to Hickory.

On the way we saw just how much rain we had yesterday.

There is usually an 8 to 10 foot drop here on this creek bank.

water2.jpg

This is the river. There are usually rocks sticking 4 feet out of the water.

water1.jpg

This is a sod farm.

water3.jpg water4.jpg

At one point we saw news crews at a business that was sitting beside a newly formed lake. No pictures though.

At some point in the picture taking I got a pic of myself.

drive.jpg

We got to the guys house and got his car. It is an 86 CRX. I was looking at it and realized the front fenders didn't fit right so I asked him about it. He said they were off a 94- completely different body.

I had forgotten to go to the bank on the way up so he took up down to a bank. Fortunately is was a BB&T where we have our account. I went to the ATM and it had no cash so Steph went in while he and I talked. He was telling me about all he had done to the car.

After he was paid we went across the street to get a new tow strap then headed home.

Going down the interstate I noticed that the passengers front fender was coming off the Honda. When we pulled over I realized it was both front fenders. Nothing was holding them on.

With the fenders tossed in the car we sallied forth and got to see more places where the water had escaped its banks. It is supposed to rain again tomorrow. Look for us floating your way.

While we were out I got a call from my neighbor who needs a steering gear for his Lawn tractor. I tild him I would come by when I got back. When I walked over he was in his back yard crying. His father was found on the couch unresponsive. They took him to the hospital and his mom was coming ot get him because he was too upset to drive. His father is still alive but they can't figure out what happened.

I got back home and started to put the engine shroud on the Pony and I realized that neither dipstick tube would work with this block now. The shroud off the 15 hp wouldn't mount on the carb for the 17 and the 17 hp shroud wouldn't work with the 15 dipstick. The 17 dipstick wouldn't go in the hole in the 15s block.

After some thinking and considering I had an idea. The 17hp tube had a plastic mounting tab on it that was too low to work on the 15 block and it was too short. So I cut the mount off and moved it up about an inch and plastic welded it on with my soldering iron.

Then the tube still wouldn't fit the hole so I got a tube off one of the junk motors and cut about 2 inches off of it and then cut the bery bottom off the 17 hp tube and put the small tube inside the big one and plastic welded them together. It is an inelegant solution, but it works.

weld.jpg

With that done Steph told me supper was done – homemade pizza. I am stuffing my face now.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#754 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Around here if you just need a part or some oil we go to Advance or Autozone, but if you need to be creative or need an uncommon part we head over to NAPA.  I can also get some of my more common motorcycle parts there as well.  :smilewink:

#755 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:14 PM

WildBill I had in mind to get a PVC kit from a 90 GM small block but for some stupid reason AZ no longer carries them. The tube that connects the PVC to the TBI would have been perfect.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#756 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Great day.

Got up and the sun was shining so I poured my coffee straight in t he thermos and headed outside.

Started putting the engine cover on and realized that the heat shild on the engine needed to be changed to the 17 HP one. So after a couple of minutes to drill a new hole in the 17hp cover and recessing it for the intake I was in business.

Go all the tin put back on it and buttoned up , cleaned everything out from under the tractor, and went out and got the deck.

The blades were super dull so I sharpened them and slid the deck under the Pony and then searched the shop for pins to hold it on since it didn't come with them. Fortunately I had several.

After I got the deck on I realized there was a piece missing. It is the bracket that keeps it from swaying back and forth. A quick search online and I found it for $15. So I bought it and now I have to wait for Brown Santa to drop it down my chimney (guess I need to build a chimney).

Steph came in and wanted to hear it run so I started it up. There was a pile of junk mail 0on the floor next to the deck. I was showered with junk mail confetti. It seems that with the bracket missing the blades don't disengage.

So I pulled the deck belt off the engine pulley and wrapped it up around a bracket.

Then I took it on its first drive. It runs great. I drove it over to the garden hose and washed it off. The first start of the engine I forgot to stick the dip stick tube back in and showered the shop with fresh motor oil. I have oil splatter on the ceiling of the shop.

Gave it a quick wash with Dawn and then headed back into the shop. Grabbed my cleaning supplies and found a brand new shammy. Woohooo. Dried it of and got down to the business of waxing it.

A coat of scratch-x and 3 coats of Meguire's and it is all sexy now.

Steph brought my dinner out to the shop. Yummy pita pocket type thingy. I have no idea what to call it but it was good.

And now pics. Kinda hard to get good pics in my tiny shop but I am not taking it back out in the mud.

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

IMG_20130507_192103_428.jpg

And the spot that needs touching up

t3.jpg

• olcowhand, daytime dave, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#757 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Looks great man! Good Job!

#758 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Glad you have it going, Willie. Guess the blades are sharp enough, now to get rid of the confetti!

#759 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:14 PM

looks great those are going for pretty good money around here you should get a good payday

#760 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:24 PM

The lady I got it from contacted me to tell me that they found the bagger for it. I am going to go get it and put it on. Should be able to sell it for a very nice profit. Especially seeing that I only have about $40 in it so far.

#761 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:39 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble selling it Willie.  Looks good!

#762 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Gotta get my sleep schedule straightened out.

For the past few nights (mornings) I have gone to sleep at 4am and woke up at 1130. It isn't all that bad because I work out in the shop till about 8pm then call it a day. But I really need to get straightened out. Too many years on third shift. It only takes one night to mess me up.

But enough crying. On with my day.

At noon I had to go down to SC to get a load of scrap so I hooked the trailer up to Christine and headed out. I told Steph to pick everything in the yard up so I could mow when I got home.

A nice drive down Highway 321 and I was at the pickup. Two of the nicest Asian teens I have ever met. We spent the time I was there making racial slurs against each other and laughing like fools.

One of the things I got from them was a swing set. Their little brother (about 3 years old) and was upset that I took his swing. After I had it loaded I called him over to the truck and told him we needed to talk about the price of his swing. He got all excited. I gave him a dollar and he went running off across the yard waving it over his head.

Unfortunately the ground was wet enough that as we loaded Christine she sunk. I started to back up and I was actually moving – till I hit a basketball with the trailer tire. She sunk like a rock. He pulled me out with his 4wd Toyota. It was kind of embarrassing.

As I was headed home I got a phone call from Steph. She had decided to go ahead and mow the yard while I was gone. Which is great. Except that she tried to push the WarBeast with the Hemorrhoid. She managed to get the brush guard on the tractor stuck in the between the back bumper and the hitch on the truck. I told her to just leave it till I got home.

I stopped at a friends house to get some pics and video of a truck he is wanting to sell.

The first thing I saw was this little bugger.

It is a little Craftsman with a 4hp Clinton. He is going to take the deck off of it and fix it up for his grandson to putt around on.

IMG_20130508_145819_750.jpg IMG_20130508_145827_936.jpg

Got the video and Bsed with him for a while then came home to see what Steph had done.

IMG_20130508_154413_195.jpg IMG_20130508_154423_509.jpg

Got it freed up and told her not to push anything bigger than a tractor with that bumper.

Then Steph informed me that the cat was having kittens in the closet.

Heath was busy inspecting my equipment. I think he approved.

IMG_20130508_154638_617.jpg

IMG_20130508_154656_236.jpg

Then we went over th the Honda CRX we picked up Monday

IMG_20130508_163437_566.jpg

and tinkered with it and got it started. Took a video of it. When I opened the hood this greeted me -

IMG_20130508_155621_174.jpg

Yes that is a tractor battery with monster bolts stuck thru it.

My neighbor pulled in so we went over to talk to her. Her daughter heard that our cat, Shadow, was having kittens and had to come see them.

After talking with Jenna for a bit and offering what support I could for her boyfreind loosing his father suddenly Monday evening. She is pretty upset. I told her if she needed just to sit with someone to come on over and she could just sit with us.

Now I am converting the videos over to a format I can edit on my computer. For whatever reason my computer doesn’t like my phone.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#763 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like another fun day in NC, Willie! May you be blessed with a better tomorrow, whenever you catch up with that!

#764 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Taking a break to cool off and catch up.

Last night my weird sleeping schedule really got weird. At 730PM I =ouldn't keep my eyes open any more and I went to bed. At 1130pm I was wide awake again. I stayed wide awake until 5am. Geesh.

At 7am the alarm went off and I staggered confusedly into the kitchen and stared at the coffepot for a bit trying to remember what it did. Once I remembered that I staggered to the bedroom to get dressed without waking Steph.

At 725 I was in Christine and headed south. I was supposed to meet a guy in Spartanburg about a JD STX30. The guy had called after I went to sleep last night and said he would be at the KFC on highway 221 from 8-10am. He called me a 745 to see if I was still coming. I told him I was and I made my way down to Kings Mountain where I stopped at BoJangle's for a sausage biscuit. Since approximately ¾ of the towns population was in the drive thru I elected to park and go in. I looked back at the truck on my way in and noticed that the passengers front tire was almost flat.

Back in the truck with my mouth full of sausage – wait that doesn't sound right? I headed across the street to a gas station to air up the tire then I hit I85 for the jaunt south.

The guy called again to tell me he wasn't there yet at 820. I told him I would be there at 9.

Saw a silver Mercedes all torn to pieces in the cable divider in Gaffney. Someone was helping him so I went on.

At 845 the phone rang – guess who- telling me that he was passing the Marriott. Since I had no clue where that was I said OK and hung up.

At 902 the phone rang again – yep you got it – he asked how fat away I was. I told him 10 seconds – I could see the KFC sign.

When I got to the parking lot he acted like he had no idea I was coming.

He struck me as having about the same IQ as most JD owners. 4.6.

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :rolling: :smilewink:

The tractor actually tried to start. It has some kind of wiring problems so I paid him and drug it home. It has a 9hp Knoler Command so it is a descent engine.

Got home and had an email from a guy about a Murray. I told hm to send me an address. Turns out he lives 5 minutes from me. SO I went down and snagged it. His neighbor told me I could have his Craftsman so I told him I would be back. Putting 2 tractors on my trailer is a pain.

Steph had a doctors appointment for her foot so she and Heath took Christine and left. I told her to take the Suburban because it had AC but she took her truck.

I ran back to the house and unloaded the Murray then wen to walmart to get some starting fliud because I was out.

Then ran back to get the Craftsman. Than home to get to work.

I decided to paint the rusty part of the Troy with black paint-#1. Because I had some #1 because I knew I would never match the faded red. So I drove it under the canopy and started looking for my painters tape. Out of all the rolls I have bought I couldn't find any.

So another run to walmart to get some.

Got back home and taped it off and shot it.

Then I turned my attention to the Craftsman. After tinkering with it I discovered that the ignition switch. Coil and solenoid are bad. Replaced the switch and the coil and got it started on the bottle and running as long as I had the solenoid jumped.

I pushed it over to the garden hose for a quick bath and Rat condo removal.

Steph got back and said doc couldn't find anything wrong with her foot -I am thinking about changing doctors. I asked her to pick up tools im my shop because my bender is sore from driving Christine all morning.

Should be able to get this craftsman running quick and get it sold.

I also found a slight problem with the 17HP I replaced last week.

notgood.jpg

I don't think Heath is too pleased to have a green thing in his yard.

IMG_20130509_170219_809.jpg

The Craftsman - Hood is in the BlueOx didn't want it blowing off.

IMG_20130509_164123_162.jpg

Murray

IMG_20130509_170316_085.jpg

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#765 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I don't think that bumper is made fore pushing.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130508_154413_195.jpg