UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well today was one of those days where I did a lot an accomplished nothing.

Got out bright and early and pulled the engine off the donor mower and set it on the Troy-Bilt frame for a trip to the car wash. Then I grabbed the 20HP Vanguard and put it on the donor frame to see if I could get it started.

I may have a trade lined up for it IF I can get it running.

Two of the bolt holes for the v-twin lined up so the engine is mounted c0ckeyed but since it is just serving as a test stand no problem. I hooked up all the wiring except for one plug that the twin didn't have a corresponding wire for.

After a couple of hours of tinkering and checking I never did manage to get it started. I can make it fire but not start. I am trying to figure out what the wire that isn't connected is for but no luck so far, and no I dont know what color the wires were or what shape the plug was. And I am too tired to wobble back out and look again.

After a few hours of that I hopped in Christine and made a run to north Charlotte in rush hour traffic to get a moped.

I had hopes that I may have been able to get it running, but it is missing pieces. I guess I could always put my 7Hp Tecumseh on it lol.

Pork chops and macaroni for dinner.

Bed will feel good tonight.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#738 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I've seen Kohler twins with a wire that goes to a tiny solenoid in the carb.  It apparently shuts off the fuel supply to the jets. The solenoid will also have a spade fitting that will have a wire going to a ground.  If yours is like this, it will fire a bit, but never run more than a sloppy idle if that.  The little wire simply goes to 12VDC.  All this means nothing if yours doesn't have this tiny solenoid.   

#739 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:56 PM

The briggs has that anti fire solenoid too. This one is hooked up. Tomorrow I will put the Troy back together then get back on the Briggs. IF this was a Chevy I would have it fixed by now.

• Craig., backwoods and Earl have said thanks

#740 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:08 PM

The briggs has that anti fire solenoid too. This one is hooked up. Tomorrow I will put the Troy back together then get back on the Briggs. IF this was a Chevy I would have it fixed by now.

This one isn't on the bottom of the bowl.  It's up on the top side of the carb body.  BTW....your anti-fire solenoid may be faulty.  If it is, just snip the needle off it and it will get fuel.

• Alc said thank you

#741 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Busy day.

Got a call bright and early from a guy who I had talked to about buying some car parts that I had in a building. He said he could come this morning so I gave him an address and made coffee.

After a cup of consciousness grabbed my thermos and headed out to the shop. By the time I have everything turned on and ready to go the guy showed up.

He looked at everything I had and we agreed on a price then I put a hitch ball back on the Hemorrhoid and dragged the trailer down the hill to load his stuff up. I don't think he realized how many headlights and taillights there were in that building till we started hauling them out.

Poor guy drove a Honda Accord and when he left only the drivers seat wasn’t stacked to the ceiling. If he had a wreck on the way home the cops would have never figured out what happened.

After he left I had to make a decision as to what to work on – the Vanguard or the Troy-Bilt. I finally decided that the Troy needed to be put back together so I could get it listed. So it got loaded up on the trailer along with the engine I am putting on it to go back to the car wash. Taking the engine off revealed lots of extra dirt and grease.

I also had several checks to cash that I had been holding for different people for jobs that I had done and finally got the go ahead to cash them.

A stop at the banks drive-thru then on to the car wash where the only open bay was the one that someone had just blasted mud off of a truck. There was 3 inches of mud in it. $2 later and the tractor and engine was spotless and I decided to run across the street to the ABC store to buy something for the weekend.

Then a quick stop at Autozone for some oil and on to Heaffners Superette to pick up lunch for Steph and me.

While I was gone she and Heath were at home playing with tractors. She sent me this picture.

Seems that Carmel likes tractors too.

carmheath.jpg

Before I got home she sent me another pic.

heathsleep.jpg

Poor little guy got all tuckered out playing with tractors. He played out there for almost 2 hours and he was sleep when he went out.

Back at home I devoured my cheeseburger and side of fried mushrooms. Then I unhooked the trailer from Christine and hooked it up to the Hemorrhoid and backed it under the carport.

Getting tractors in and out of the shop was getting to be a royal PITA and I came up with a solution as I was eating. I hopped back into Christine and made a run to Lowe's where I grabbed some ½ inch bolt an eye bolt and a small snatch block.

Back in the shop I put the eye bolt in the wall across from the door then hooked up the snatch block and ran the rope thru it. I put a hook on each end and just like that I had a tractor installation system.

I didn’t want to run the freshly washed Troy thru the mud so I backed the trailer up as close as I could to the building and put the ramps on the tailgate and pulled her in with the Hemorrhoid just as easy as pie.

Once that was done I got down to painting the frame and front end on the Troy. While that was drying I painted the deck and the muffler guard. Once the frame was dry I mounted the engine back on it and then realized that I would have to change the whole wiring harness too because the other engine was much newer and there are a lot of extra wires that go nowhere. Changing the harness will look better.

As I was putting a second coat of paint on the mower deck my neighbor called and said an old friend of hers, who fell into drugs, showed up at her house this morning wanting drugs or money for drugs. She turned her away. Then the gal called her at work and asked what time she got home. SO now I am in my recliner where I can watch the end of her driveway for unwanted visitors.

Steph asked what I was going to do I said I would call the cops. She asked what if the gal broke in before the cops got there. I told her the cops would find her ziptied to a light pole. LOL

• olcowhand, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 3 others have said thanks

#742 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Quite the day.

#743 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:51 AM

Are you low on zip ties now? :bigrofl: Sounds like quite a day. Got a pic of that 'tractor installation system'? Heath sure is growing! Glad he and Carmel had fun on the tractor!

#744 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:12 AM

A boy needs a dog and Carmel seems like the perfect dog for him.  I would also like to see this tractor installation system.

#745 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Kind of a frustrating day.

Could not get to sleep last night. Too many things runnign through my mind. Even my old friend Makers Mark couldn't turn it off.

Finally got so sleep some time around 5 and when the alarm clock went off at 730 I said no way and went back to sleep. At 1130 I dragged myself to the coffee pot and brewed my favorite addiction.

We were scheduled to meet a woman at 1om so it wasn't worth going out to the shop to do anything for 45 minutes.

Finally we left. Steph and Heath in Christine (she had shopping to do) and me in the BlueOx.

On our way out we passed an estate sale and someone there waved at me. I made a mental note to stop on the way back.

We got to the house and the woman wasn't there. I called her son and he said she though I was going to call to confirm I was coming. I don’t know how she interpreted “I will see you at 1:00” that way, but oh well.

She finally arrived and we settled on a price. Got an 83 S10 4wd with a new 2.8L engine. It may be combined with parts from Christine to keep her around a bit longer. If Christine was 4wd she would be about perfect.

Finally got her loaded up and headed out. Steph went shopping and I went towards home.

Stopped by the estate sale and who did I find (in a lovely pink shirt) but jacobd . After looking around I bought Heath two toy tractors and headed home.

After a quick lunch of corn dogs I got out here in the Troybilt. This engine wiring doesn't match up to the tractor and I am a bit stumped. I am sure it is a simple answer, but I will be danged if I can find it.

Here is my post on that.

http://gardentractor...-under-a-mower/
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#746 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Another rainy NC day.

Woke up this morning to the sound of pouring rain. So we laid in bed and watched TV for a while. When the little monster got up he came back to join us and had a ball with is tossing him around on the bed.

At around noon I had had enough being inside and waded out to the shop.

I played with the Vanguard for a little while but was having no luck so I decided to work on the Troy.

After looking at all the wiring diagrams and the help offered by members here I had an epiphany. Even though the diagrams, the parts charts, and the book all say that the carb has a solenoid on it there was not one. I took the carb off and inspected it closely. Still not one. SO after a little while sitting and thinking it dawned on me. Take the stuff off the blown motor and put it all on the good one. Then it will match the wiring harness.

I spent some time tearing everything down and putting it all back together and only hit one snag. The original engine and the replacement have different blow-by tubes. Tomorrow I will go down to the parts house and see what I can come up with to make it work.

When I got everything done that I could do I swam back in the house where Steph had burritos ready.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#747 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:07 PM

And there ya go...no tossing yourself into moving lawn mower blades now!   :thumbs:

#748 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I never said anything about moving mower blades, just under a mower deck.

#749 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I never said anything about moving mower blades, just under a mower deck.

You didn't jiggle your brain TOO hard in your wreck then I see!   :smilewink:

#750 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:38 AM