UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yeah it is a good bit bigger than the right thumb. I was thinking that a change of oil and a new air filter and the Bolens would be good as new

#647 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:35 PM

May take it a while to get back to normal! Sounds like a start on the Bolens!

#648 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nice Bolens it definitely has some potential. It looks like it’s either a 650 or 750. The engine is definitely a Wisconsin probably from the late 50’s or early 60’s and hopefully it will be easy for you to get it running again and if you do get it running you may like it. Wisconsins are heavy duty engines and are known for having a ton of torque.  If you look in the axel seal picture you can see the original freewheel pin was lost and has been replaced with a bolt and also in the picture showing the underside and driveline you can see that the brake pad has been disconnected.

#649 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:22 PM

The engine says it is a wards engine. I am seriously considering going to a diesel on this one.

#650 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Is the motor stuck?

#651 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Not much going on lately

Yesterday I took off the aluminum engine blocks to the smelter, then came home and leveled the deck on the Hemorrhoid and then mowed/bush hogged the yard.

I took a drive up to Charlotte in Christine to sell some catalytic converters and radiators then came home and swapped trucks to take the BlueOx to get a Jeep. Steph followed me up in Christine to help me get it loaded before she went to class.

A simple loading job that should have taken maybe 10 minutes wound up taking 45 because Steph was having one of those special rectal cranial inversion days. While I pulled with Christine she drove the Back of the jeep off the trailer one and missed the ramps with the front twice. I was ready to strangle her.

Fortunately we got it loaded and Heath and I came home.

Neighbor called and needs me to mow their yard tomorrow. Neither of their two mowers will start. One of their tractors should be mine. Another neighbor gave it to me and I couldn't get to it immediately so she gave it to these people. I wasn't too upset, but I nearly laughed when she told it it wouldn't run.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#652 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:35 AM

"Rectal cranial inversion"?  you do have a way with words, Willie. I sorta see a new thread building here.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#653 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:32 AM

offer to mow there yard for the tractor that you want lol then it will run again

#654 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:23 AM

What's blended scrap going in your parts Willie?  Auto's & blended are $220/ton here.

#655 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Right now it is about $240 Speaking  f which I have to take the Jeep off to the smasher now.

#656 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Beautiful NC sunshiny day.

Actually got a descent nights sleep last night so I rolled out early this morning, poured a travel mug full of coffee, and headed out.

First order of business was running down to the gas station to fill the can.

Back home I gassed up the tractor and headed down to the neighbors house to mow their yard.

About halfway through the blade spindle on the left side started making an odd noise so I called Steph to run the grease gun over. A couple of squirts and she was good as ever ( which with the Hemorrhoid is always a questionable statement).

With the yard mowed I headed home where Steph was taking the Jeep apart. I snagged the steering column and intermediate shaft out (for future use in the BlueOx) and then we filled it up with junk that was laying around.

Then we were off to the scrap yard. Got a handful of cash and headed home.

Made a pit stop at Walmart for beer and dog food.

The previous owner of the Jeep cam by to collect his money and Steph left for class.

I am done for the day. Heath and I are eating Reese's peanut butter chips and spoiling our supper. He thinks it is a great idea.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#657 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well I finally hobbled out in the sunshine for the first time since I hurt my back on Friday.

Christine needed brakes and today was the day it had to be done. I heard Steph coming home yesterday from about ¼ mile away. SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SO when Heath went down for his nap today we wandered out into the sunshine to get to work.

Christine went up on the trailer and up on jackstands. Since I was unable to bend I sat in a chair and told Steph what to do. It was actually fun.

She did great and only made one mistake. I coached her through the passengers side rear brakes and then heath woke up. So while I went in to get him she put the drivers side on. When I got back out and put Heath in his pen I found that the brake shoes wouldn't sit right on the backing plate. It took me a minute to figure out that she had put the spreader bar on backwards. Didn't take too long to put it right.

While putting the front back together we found that one of the caliper bolt bushings was missing. No one that was open today had one. After a quick hunt through every box and drawer turned nothing usable. I found a Ford wrist pin that was the exact outer diameter, but it was so hard I couldn't drill it out. It mangled 2 drillbits and never scratched the wrist pin. Then Steph found a bushing out of a Ford alternator that was very close. I put it in the vise and drilled it out a bit and it worked perfect.

With the truck put back together I turned Heath loose and he went straight for the tractor.

IMG_20130421_184826_450_zpsdcd9b6e5.jpg

Then we came I and heard a chriping noise. First egg has hatched.

DSCF4652_zps54e7dc0c.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to ad that a freind stopped by to chat and looked at the Bolens. He got all excited when he saw the Wards engine on it. He said to take it off and bring it to him and he would get it running just because he hasn't seen one in forever.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, April 21, 2013 - 06:57 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#658 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 08:00 PM

That's sure a cute peeper, Willie, and the little chicken's alright too! lol  We haven't hatched chickens for years, tend to get attatched to them and they don't all turn out to be pullets. I must be getting soft in my old age. Going to the Hutterites tomorrow to get some butchered laying hens to can,$2.00 each, plucked, gutted and washed up, all ready for canning. Nothing like a cold canned chicken on a hot summer day---  summer, hmmmmmm, wonder when that'll come?

#659 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Not bad for a Monday.

I got a call from a preacher friend of mine that he needed a car moved today. So, once I was able to move around, we met up at a local Baptist college ( that I attended for a short time).

I always get dirty looks from the students now because I have a beard. It is verboten at the college to have a beard. At least I didn't show up smoking a cigar – they would have stoned me in the parking lot.

Didn't take up too long to get the car loaded. Since my back was hurting all I could really do was tell the preacher what to do. After nearly 25 years he still puts up with it.

As we were loading it the gal who owned it showed up. She tried to pay me and I told her to take it up with the preacher. All I was doing was driving.

Got the car back to the preacher house and pucked away in his garage. It needs a new timing belt. Glad I am not having to do it because I couldn't at the moment.

Got back home and Steph left for the store. She called me after she had been gone for about 15 minutes and told me she needed a lug wrench. So I waddled back out to the BlueOx to take her one. I really didn't know what to expect when I got there because I didn't ask.

Got there and the drivers front was loose. It is my fault because I got distracted talking to a neighbor yesterday and didn't double check her work. I take full responsibility for it.

I am very proud that when she realized something was wrong she stopped and got it off the road instead of driving it on. She has at least learned in the past 8 years to stop and find the problem rather than to tear it up worse.

SO with Christine all tightened up I am back home watchign a neat video on YouTube. It is long but pretty cool.

• larrybl, Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#660 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Willie, If you don't want the Wards motor, I'll buy it off you. I am always looking for those for my 2 wheeled tractors. :smilewink:

Glad you got yours trained on the stopping to check stuff. :thumbs: 

Mine just keeps driving til it stops, then calls me, madder then an ole wet hen calling me all kinds of bad things for letting her break down like that. :wallbanging: