wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 03:50 PM

Lots of running around today.

f5853eeac8a817403b23787d89758582.jpg

This morning, bright and early, we saddled up in Moby and left. We had a short drive up to Maiden to get a van. 

We got there, did the bill of sale, paid the man, put the winch in the trailer hitch, hooked up the battery, and didn't have the control cable. So we undid everything and came home. The HF winch has a 5 pin plug and I have no idea which pin does what. 

We stopped at Taco Bell on the way out. I wanted a soft taco, but the drive thru voice told me they didn't have any. When I got up to the window I asked why they didn't have any. A Taco Bell warehouse burned down and lots of places didn't get supplies.

We got the van with no problems, and headed home. 

29214509_10156469671869739_1701965500679979008_n.jpg

On the way a terrible vibration started if I went over 45. So we didn't go over 45.

Once we got home we saw that the guy had cut the driveshaft to take the transmission out. I don't know why people don't do it right. How hard is it to take out 4 11mm bolts.  The stub of the driveshaft was causing the vibration.

When we looked in the back of the van I got a pleasant surprise. Useful stuff.

First is this tool box that is going to go in Moby.

29178293_10156469379804739_649919175694745600_o.jpg

And this cabinet that will go in the shop for air tools. 

29261556_10156469335719739_4037073880177704960_o.jpg

They were in a frame work and attached together. About 20 or so bolts and they came apart. 

We did some light back yard pick up while we waited for Heath to get home.

When he did we left. 

An uneventful trip to the scrap yard and we exchanged the van for cash and came home. 

I am going to build a tool box for Moby, so I needed some measurements. In order to get them right we had to put a third seat in Moby. TheKracken had one it wasn't using so we stole it. It doesn't match, but I don't care. 

I took my measurements and came in.

Now to get to playing in Sketchup.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5417 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,427 Thanks
  • 31,811 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 05:37 PM

How much are cars going for down there today?  Last week they were $180 up here.  Nice bonus boxes!

• Craig. said thank you

#5418 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 08:20 PM

We are only at $165 but it is going up. I just price my stuff accordingly.

#5419 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,273 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 08:35 PM

I was wondering how the tariffs on steel and aluminum would affect the scrap prices. I had a hunch that they would start going back up. I am sitting on about 100 pounds of aluminum cans and some scrap that I was waiting on the prices to go up. May wait a bit longer as the trend seems promising.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5420 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 09:20 PM

I don't see any way the tarrifs will hurt scrap prices. I'm just glad to see it going up at all. It has been stagnant for far too long.

#5421 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 06:23 PM

Today was exhausting :D

jan16-023-mug-mechanic-engineers-hero-front_large.jpg

After I was dressed I sent Graham a text to come on over. HE said he was cooking Bratwurst and would be over when they were done. 

While he was doing that, we got on his truck. 

In a short order I had figured out that with the AC compressor on the truck there was no way to see where the exhaust leak was. SO it came off, and got hung from a ratchet strap with the lines still attached. 

He got over to the house with the brats. We ate some. They were a bit salty. He shot a deer last year and had the processor make bratwurst. He added too much salt. 

Then we got to the truck again. Since I could get my hand down to the exhaust manifold I found a leak. A massive leak. So I grabbed a mirror and got a look on the back side. I found the flex joint was destroyed. The engine on the truck has been out three times in the past 2 years, and he put a catalytic converter on it a few weeks back. After the install it started leaking.

We snatched the pipe off and took it to a shop. He will have it fixed tomorrow. 

We came back and picked up tools and then installed the cabinet in my shop. It was much easier with an extra set of hands.

29249199_10156472543769739_996625330366512512_n.jpg

Heath got home and had to come sit in the shop and tell me about his day.

29313045_10156472543764739_6720732781982412859_n.jpg

Finally we all came in. 

Steph got the card out of the camera and we found a visitor came by last night.

fox.png

A fox if you can't tell. If you look at the rabbits behind him you can see they are alert. We had a mamma rabbit stomp her babies a few nights ago. It is some kind of a preservation instinct. I don't fully understand it. 

#5422 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,588 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 01:52 AM

Funny enough I put up a camera like that too...

Now I'll find the dirty so n so that is gonna try swiping my banana bread tonight.
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5423 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 07:20 PM

One strike and a home run.

1508975_972060896166375_6673942759821578167_n.jpg

I got a call from a guy this morning that had  Honda Accord for scrap. We went down to get it. Unfortunately, he was not quite comprehensive about the cars condition. The front end was torn apart. I tow with a dolly. I kind of need a front end to move one. He said he would try to get it back together and call me back. Fortunately it was only about 5 miles from the house. 

ON the way back we stopped by the garage to see if the pipe for Graham's truck was done. IT was. We headed over to the auto parts triangle (Autozone, Advance, and Napa are all situated in a triangle shape on three different streets) to get exhaust gaskets. They only had one. SO I took Steph home to get Heath off the bus, and called Graham and told him to put the pipe on and I would go get the other gasket in Lincolnton. 

The guy with the Honda called and said he found all the parts and put the font end back together where it cam be towed. I told him we would come tomorrow. 

I got back home and they almost had the truck all back together. Graham had some difficulty getting the last gasket on. I had to hold his hand a bit to talk him through it. 

Finally we started the little thing up and no check engine light and no exhaust leak.

He and Jenni were going out to eat. We had to go shopping. We decided to go eat with them first. It is a new Mexican place in Gastonia. The prices were good and the food was great, but there was no one there. I think it is just a bad location.

After we ate they went home, we went to Lidl, 

Back at home I shot a video of the Mercedes ML430 that I am going to sell for parts. 

#5424 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,131 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 07:54 PM

I was wondering how the tariffs on steel and aluminum would affect the scrap prices. I had a hunch that they would start going back up. I am sitting on about 100 pounds of aluminum cans and some scrap that I was waiting on the prices to go up. May wait a bit longer as the trend seems promising.

We had a meeting here @ work and it was discussed we need to stock up on scrap b4 it goes through the roof. Because once the tarrif evens the playing field we'll be selling a lot more steel. So I'm guessing YES is the answer to ur Q lol.

Edited by Craig., March 17, 2018 - 07:58 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#5425 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 08:07 PM

Lots of miles today.

d7Gajm88_400x400.jpeg

This morning we got up and headed off to Charlotte. A guy who has lots of stuff in a salvage yard ( not cars and truck, but everything else under the sun) had some wheeled bin on Craigslist. So we went up to take a look at them.

The online pictures looked pretty sturdy. In person, however, they were pressed board. Not going to hold up. We looked around a bit and found a stack of mortar tubs. They are strong and have a way to lift them with the tractor, so we bought 4. Steph got two of the big 325 gallon totes he had with the tops cut off. She is going to use them for chicken coups. If that doesn't work out I will find a use for them I am sure. 

Heath climbed on everything in the yard.

Once we were loaded up, we headed to a gas station. We grabbed some snacks and then headed to the airport overlook. Only 3 planes took off. Must be a bad day to travel. Heath found two little boys to play with. The had a ball.

We left there and headed home. The trailer got unhooked from the medium trailer, hooked to the tire trailer, and we put some more tires on the tire trailer. The jack on the trailer had collapsed. We fixed that and then Steph said she needed to tighten the lugs on one of the wheels. They would not tighten. The lugs are spinning in the hub. SO we unhooked the trailer. Tomorrow we will ride up and get a new hub.

Then we hopped in Moby and headed over to the tire shop. The drivers front has had a steady leak. I didn't feel like trying to break down a tire, so I let Tony do it. He found that the valve stem was bad. He changed it. $10 and an hour and a half later ( we were having a good time goofing off) we pulled Heath out of the tire pile and headed home.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5426 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 18, 2018 - 07:37 PM

Nice day.

Usually it takes Heath a little while to get cranked up when he wakes up. Not today. He literally hit the ground running, and hasn't stopped since.

Around 11 we loaded up in Moby and headed to TSC.

I got a trailer hub and Steph got Rabbit feed. Heath got M&Ms.

Back home I pulled the bad hub off and Steph carried it to the work bench. The grease in the hub was mostly mud. Even if the studs had held the bearing would have given up eventually.

I wasn't sure how I was going to get the wheel off the hub since the studs were just freewheeling. If I had a welder I would have tacked the studs in place. After some thought I sent Steph for the angle grinder and a cutoff wheel. 

Since I had unfettered access to the back of the studs, I cut the lip off of it, making it square. Then it was a matter of driving the stud through the hub. It took about 20 minutes to get the 4 remaining studs off. 

After some serious cleaning of the axle, Heath and I installed the new hub. He wasn't too sure about getting the sticky red grease on his hands. He doesn't mind dirt, but sticky stuff he doesn't like. He did like using the Gojo to clean up with though.

Last week I caught an oil recycling guy at the scrap yard. He said that if there was water in my oil tank they would not take it. I decided to check and see how much water there was. I grabbed the hand pump and pumped out about 10 gallons and didn't hit oil. Steph and Sam have both left the funnel in the bung and it got rained in.

The tank needed to be moved anyhow, and since the yard was dry I decided to give it a try. It was successful. Since I know that Gertie will lift it I will lift it up on stand of some sort and then open the valve on the back of it to drain the water off. 

We spent some time moving some more stuff around, and setting up the tubs we got yesterday to start loading them with scrap metal.

When we were tired of moving things, we came inside. 

Steph made rabbit for dinner.

After I ate I got a call from a guy about the Mercedes. He wanted to come look at it immediately. I gave him the address. He showed up and traded me a wad of 20's for the title and keys. He had it towed to his house. One less thing to move when I mow now. 

Attached Thumbnails

• logo.png

#5427 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,307 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted March 19, 2018 - 10:48 AM

Your water/oil problem reminded me of what My Olde Deere did with our bulk  fuel oil tank to make it easier to drain water out.  He put a plug with a drain hose on both bottom ends and set the tank on a slope with the working end a few inches higher.  The water would naturally go to the low end and he would drain it off periodically.  Sure saved a lot of trouble and frustration. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5428 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 19, 2018 - 12:05 PM

Your water/oil problem reminded me of what My Olde Deere did with our bulk  fuel oil tank to make it easier to drain water out.  He put a plug with a drain hose on both bottom ends and set the tank on a slope with the working end a few inches higher.  The water would naturally go to the low end and he would drain it off periodically.  Sure saved a lot of trouble and frustration. 

That is what I plan on doing.

• Craig. said thank you

#5429 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 19, 2018 - 04:56 PM

Not a bad day.

29340608_1306477596118712_5035241957853495296_n.jpg

Steph left to run errands while I was doing exercises. When I was all limbered up I went to the closet. I had no pants. I searched all over and finally found them - in the washer. I only have 3 pairs of work pants left. So I had to wait.

Steph got home before the dryer finished. And Tim showed up too. 

My pants dried and I traded my bathrobe for work duds, and went down to Tim's. He had a PT Cruiser that was misfiring. I took my scanner down to see if it would tell us anything  ore than his did. It didn't. I did some quick research and found that it could be a vacuum leak. After pawing all over the engine compartment I unhooked the plug for the MAP sensor. The engine died, and whistled. I had him restart it a few times and I found that the grommet on the vacuum line for the brake boaster was bad.

I came back home. I had stayed at Tim's long enough that Heath was home. 

My ventvisors came in so I put them on. Unlike the ones I had to send back, they first.

29365628_10156486047959739_1806285441641480192_o.jpg

A guy called with a Mercedes to scrap, but he lost the key. I am not feeling like breaking a Mercedes steering column, so i told him to find the key and call back.

Another guy called with a Nissan Xtera. He was close so we rode up and snagged it.

Of course it was facing the wrong way, in a crowded parking lot, in a high traffic area. We got it turned around and then got it across the street to an abandoned parking lot to load it up. 

29365760_10156486327184739_3466187063416586240_n.jpg

We got home and I put a working window control switch in Moby.

29386223_10156486212074739_6282601220544659456_o.jpg

I came in and then realized I had left my flashlight in the truck. I walked back out. In the process of putting the switch in I locked the doors. The keys are in the ignition. AAA is coming. At least it isn't running.

Edited by UncleWillie, March 19, 2018 - 04:56 PM.

#5430 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,109 Thanks
  • 8,909 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 08:19 PM

Today we did stuff. Novel intro huh?

2b369f0f2f17ecc04a631766cffc96b1.jpg

I was up early today. 

After stretching and straining and exercising,  we went out to Moby.  

The Nissan got tossed in the junk pile and then we headed down to take a look at Miriam's Jeep. They drove it Saturday and the check engine light came on. 

It was throwing a code for a misfire on cyl 3. There was no obvious reason, so I cleared the code and it didn't come back. I told her to drive it and see if it came back on. 

We stopped at Walmart so Steph could get something she needed to go tutor math tonight.

It was threatening to rain, so I elected to not go out and start anything.

Heath got home, and came in for a few minutes, then went tearing around the yard. 

Graham got off work and wanted to go get a log splitter. I needed to go to UPS to drop off a package. Heath came with us. 

Steph stayed home. There was no sense in taking a chance on her not getting to tutor. 

After we three amigos returned home we went to our respective houses. 

Heath and I made hotdogs. While we ate, Niagara Falls passed over the house. 

Tomorrow I don't know what we are doing.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks