• Please log in to reply
5357 replies to this topic

#5341 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,477 Thanks
  • 1,399 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 12:20 AM

Tired, fell down twice and wrenched my back, mother in law is coming tomorrow. Tonight i drink whiskey.

Why tonight? Especially if your mother in law is coming over tomorrow!
  • Craig. said thank you

#5342 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 01:39 PM

Why tonight? Especially if your mother in law is coming over tomorrow!

You ever try to sleep knowing your mother-in-law's coming
  • olcowhand, Craig., CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#5343 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 06:59 PM

I avoided the mother in law :D

il_fullxfull.390660171_m7v5.jpg

Yesterday we got up and went out to clean up the carport some more. 

In a box of tools that came from scrap cars and some tools that a gal gave to me, I found this.

IMG_20180214_135409.jpg

I have never seen a hex drive ratchet before.

At one point, I went in the shop to get a socket to hang a holder for the small ladder we use. The socket was in a tol box about knee high to me. I bent over to get it and the back of my legs hit the little rolling table. Without thinking I sat down - on the end. The table shot out from under me. I managed to backpedal fast enough to more or less keep up with it til it hit the wall. It hurt, but not near as much as hitting the floor would have.

We got it cleaned up up and I grabbed the hose reel that Steph got. I looked at it and realized I made a mistake. I, for whatever braindead reason, told her to get a 1/2 inch reel. Everything I use is 3/8. It got packed back up.

A guy called and said if I could get there today he had some scrap we could have for free. I told him we would come after Heath got home. 

We put the reel back in the box and put it in BettyBlue.

A tree trimming company showed up at Graham's house. Since the local utilities have declared jihad on trees near power lines. I walked over and asked them how many trees they were going to rape. 

There was a tree that was mostly pointing toward the powerlines. He asked about taking it down. I called Graham and he said to drop it. I got off the phone thinking that was the end of that.

Heath got home and we took quick showers, since we were covered in mud,  then headed off.

The guy had lots of semi parts. We put one oil pan in the bed of BB. If it had been any longer the tailgate would not have closed.

While we loaded, I got my right foot hung between two pieces of wood, My left foot was uphill and my body was off balance. I went down, again. This time it really hurt.

We managed to get loaded up and left. 

We drove up to NOrthern tools, I had my good boots in the truck. It took a good while to get them changed.

We finally got inside and swapped the hose reel out. BTW if you need a hose reel they are on clearance at Northern for $99 in store only. 

They also had an amber strobe light for $27. My old one got smashed so I grabbed it. 

I had asked Steph where she wanted to eat. Her favorite restaurant is Genghis Grill, but with my back screaming I couldn't drive an hour to there, She wanted chocolate moose cake so she said Hooters. So we went. 

The waitresses were all over Heath. As you can imagine it was not a popular Valentines day stop. All of the attractive waitresses must have had dates anyway.

On the way home Graham stated texting me about the tree. He was upset that they didn't finish it. I got tired of relaying messaged back and forth to Steph to I called him. 

He kept saying that the power company had no right to be on his property, and he was going to put up a fence. I asked him what the thought they would do if a line was down in his yard behind a fence. He had not thought of that. He didn't understand the county right of way. Then I explained to him that the reason they did not finish the tree was that it was quitting time. He hadn't even thought of that.  He is young. He will learn. 

We got back home and I barely got out of the truck. 

This morning I woke up and Steph was gone. She figured since my back was wrecked I would not want to go sit and visit with her mom at a restaurant. She was right. 

I worked on stretching my back out.

She got home and we eventually got outside. 

I hopped on Gertie and pulled the dump trailer to the driveway. When it got there the trailer brakes locked up. The runaway brake pin was gone. Fortunately, I found it under the trailer. With that back in I started investigating why the trailer brakes would not activate with the brake pedal. After crawling under the dash for a while I asked Steph if the brake lights were working. She said no. Blown fuse. Easy fix.

I did use Gertie to smooth out the tire ruts in the front yard from the rain. They were 6 to 8 inches deep. I have since banished all vehicles to the small gravel driveway. 

The tree company showed up at around 2. I saw Graham outside so I went to harass him. They told him it was quitting time when they left yesterday. They sliced up his tree and headed off. 

After Heath got home we loaded up in BB and headed to a boat shop in Lincolnton. They had a trailer load of parts. Mostly stainless and aluminum. A good haul. While we loaded up he showed Heath all over his shop.

We spent some time talking to him and then headed home.

My recliner feels so good right now. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5344 Z71 Sierra ONLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 185 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 04:27 PM

I keep a gold pan in my truck. I ran into some interesting gravel while digging a basement. Sure enough there was gold in it. Probably not enough to make any money, but that's MI for ya. This was a 5 gallon bucket worth I brought home to pan.20180216_154853.jpg
  • olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5345 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 10:46 PM

I keep a gold pan in my truck. I ran into some interesting gravel while digging a basement. Sure enough there was gold in it. Probably not enough to make any money, but that's MI for ya. This was a 5 gallon bucket worth I brought home to pan.attachicon.gif20180216_154853.jpg

We have a gold pan, it is full of bolts. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5346 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 11:04 PM

Today was fun, kinda.

header-uai-720x526.jpg

This morning I was slow getting going. I was sore. 

After I got upright we headed off to the scrap yard. We had almost 1500 pounds of irony aluminum, 2000 pounds of steel, and a couple of electric motors.

We headed home and I sat for a minute.

After Heath got home we hooked up the tow dolly and headed up to Denver.

ON the way up BettyBlue banged like someone hit her then started to shake. When we got out and looked at it I saw the passengers side tire on the tow dolly only had half the tread on it. No way we were getting a car with that. 

We made a few calls and no one had a tire except for Discount tire. I despise them. However, I didn't think I could toss the dolly up on my shoulder and carry it 30 miles back home. So we stopped and got one. It curdled my innards.

It took them over an hour to get to one tire. They weren't even that busy. When I finally asked how long it was going to be they got to it instantly.

By the time that was done it was too late to get the car. I had to get home.

We got up to speed and the shaking started again. I went ahead and got on home. 

Buddy's daughter, Miriam, has been in the market for a Jeep Cherokee. She found one just exactly like she wanted up in Mooresville. They beat us to my house. 

I ran in and changed clothes, I was filthy.

I hurried up to Mooresville and we got there 15 minutes late. Not bad.

After a test drive I decided it was a solid vehicle, Miriam was in love with it. We did some negotiating and she bought it. 

Since she still has a learners permit I drove her back to my house. We had a good talk about what she wants to do with her life. Getting a vehicle was a big step in it. She wants to go to California to attend a school to train seeing eye dogs.

On the drive home I found a few things I need to look at on the Jeep. It stayed here with me. I am going to fix everything wrong with it over the next couple of weeks.

While I was gone, Steph looked under BB.

28126301_1614696935265802_1313818268_o.jpg

I think she found the shake. 

Edited by UncleWillie, February 17, 2018 - 01:02 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5347 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 11:10 PM

Yep, me thinks she did find the source of the shake!

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5348 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,086 Thanks
  • 900 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:28 AM

Ya that would do it lol

• UncleWillie said thank you

#5349 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,477 Thanks
  • 1,399 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 01:46 AM

Agreed. That'd do it
  • Craig. said thank you

#5350 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 04:29 PM

More better.

images.jpg

I had a hard time sleeping last night. I didn't get up early today. 

When I did wake up I heard Steph pounding of the driveshaft. I sent Heath out to get her. She could not get the old joint out. I told her to take a break and I got dressed and finally made my way outside. 

The driveshaft had a tiny burr that was keeping the cap from coming out. So I hammered the cap in the wrong way and then got the Dremel out and took care of the burr. The cap popped right out.

In a short order I got the new one put in and she went to install the driveshaft.

Heath and I got to work on his "motorcar".

He took the wheels off, I pulled the old motors off and soldered the connectors on them. Then Heath reinstalled the motors and wheels.

28116995_1615452538523575_1015453119_n.jpg

28109940_1615452625190233_1403477970_n.jpg

Then he rode around in the rain for a while. The transplant was a success.

My back was screaming so I came in and fell into my recliner. 

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5351 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 04:32 PM

It's great Heath is learning to wrench on things.  Invaluable!

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5352 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,928 Thanks
  • 4,996 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 04:52 PM

Did you put the inside clips on the caps that bolt to the rear yoke? The straps can't hold them alone and there isn't anything else.

#5353 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 05:01 PM

Did you put the inside clips on the caps that bolt to the rear yoke? The straps can't hold them alone and there isn't anything else.

I am thinking one of the clips escaped at some point. Could have caught some shrapnel at the scrap yard and managed to pop it out. Or I was hurting when I put it back together last time and missed a clip. Who knows.

Might have been martians.

50e3053177f46_58893b.jpg

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#5354 Z71 Sierra ONLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 185 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 03:09 PM

Lots of rain here the past 2 days.20180220_135038.jpg
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#5355 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Been plugging away at it. 

I-AM-VERY-BUSY-WHITE-TEEs_mockup_Handle-on-Right_11oz-copy.jpg

Monday we had a party for Heaths birthday. I didn't do much else. 

Tuesday Was HEaths birthday. In the afternoon we got out and assembled Heath's trampoline. IT took about 45 minutes to put the trampoline part together. IT took 2 hours to assemble the safety net. It was a mess. HE got off the bus as we were finishing. I am not sure if he helped or hurt the process.

Then we took him out to Chickfila, and to Walmart to spend his birthday money. HE said he wanted a ladder for his trampoline. It is about chin high for him. We looked at several places and no one had one. When we got home I found on on Ebay and bought it.

Wednesday I spent in traction LOL. 

Today it was nice out and my back was agreeable so, while Steph was out shopping, I staggered out to work on tractors. 

I started on Katie's John Deere. I have had it since the end of the summer. We put it up on the work stand a few weeks ago. I got the valve cover gaskets changed and fired it up. In a few minutes it started to smoke. A cooling line had a tiny pinhole leak in it. Since I had no truck to get parts, I turned my attention to the Wheel Horse 212-5.

I got it to fire up with starting fluid, but it would not run on its own. I pulled the bowl off the carb and it was full of gunk. I attacked it with carb cleaner and put it back on. It would reluctantly start up then die. After a bit I figured out the throttle linkage was stuck and it was on full choke. Some wd40 and a little tapping with a small hammer and it was good. IT finally started up and ran. IT smoked like a house on fire till the Seafoam cleared out of it, then settled into a nice idle. 

Steph got home and I left for the parts house. The 212 didn't have a fuel shutoff or a fuel filter so I got them while I was there. 

I got back home and put the cooling line on the Deere and fired it back up. I went to the 212 and saw the Deere smoking again. I went back and looked and it had a fuel line leaking. I sent Steph down to derelict row to see if she could find some. She did. Finally the Deere behaved and didn't pee on anything. 

I got the shut off and filter on the 212 and got it fired up. IT ran perfectly. 

Then i went over to the scrap pile where Steph was disassembling things. There was an old Warn winch that had a good cable on it. We got it untangled and had about 75 feet of cable before we got to a birds nested spot. We cut it off. I coiled up the cable and put it away. I need to get ends for it. Tim has a winch that has just enough cable to reach the end of his trailer. I will take it down and put it on his winch. 

I started to take the winch body apart. I was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.  After some beating and banging I moved wrong and my back spasmed. Steph saw it and ordered me inside. I kinda went in. 

We went over and got the 212 off the trailer it has been on. It started right up. I put it in reverse and nothing happened. So Steph pushed me off the trailer. I put it in 5th and it barely moved on its own. I am guessing the belts are bad. 

I parked it and started for the front door. I didn't make it. 

MawMaw Wander called me over. The big Grave Digger ride on she got for her Grandson was messed up. The battery plug came apart. I got it back together and we hooked it up to the charger. I am not sure if it is going to work right or not. It is new so it has a warranty.

Finally, I got in and fell in the recliner. 

I was going to take pictures of everything, but I didn't feel like standing out there and taking them. 

• olcowhand, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks